Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

/me makes a reference...

2. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

Love those two videos, god damn I am so hyped.

I'm not a huge fan of the controller layout, don't like using RB to melee.

Hopefully there's a Recon-like controller layout possible.

Edit:

-_-

#3422 Neoshadow, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. Black Theorem

Black Theorem Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Im not gonna say that 343 needs to cater to the MLG community.

...but we need Bumper Jumper.

4. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

5. II6clique jxIxj

II6clique jxIxj Ancient

So does Spartan Ops require you to purchase a new copy of Halo 4? If so, do you also need a gold membership, because mine expired a couple months ago. Also do Spartan Ops missions expire after that current week is over or can you go back and play older, non-current week ones? Some clarification would be nice

6. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

1. I doubt it.
    2. Probably.
    3. Yes, it's been confirmed.

7. Skisma

Skisma Creative Force

Wow I really love the GUI for H4. Everything looks so sleek.

Edit: Page 343.

#3427 Skisma, Jun 5, 2012
  8. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I assume it also won't stop explosions behind the player, which would make it an enormous improvement over armor lock and drop shield both - it's not a get-out-dying-free card, there are tactical ways to counter it.

9. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Yeah I think it'll be awesome for objective games like ctf.

10. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

everything in that video is way cool, i must say. 343i gets a cookie, for releasing all the shitty bits of the game fans dont want to hear first then following it up with what looks to be some really forward thinking stuff.

spartan ops is like free DLC, that's just cool.

11. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Here are all the new map names:

Haven = Wraparound
    Adrift = Warhouse
    Longbow = snow map

Don't have a source, but they're from reliable people.

#3431 cluckinho, Jun 5, 2012
  12. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

I'd like to point out that Reach maps were made for multiplayer first, then imported into the campaign to give the player an association with the location that they were fighting on. You don't think Reflection just happened to be in one of the (Ivory) towers in Alexandria, or that somewhere along Long Night of Solace you stumble upon a symmetric layout with a red and blue side that strangely looks like a nice multiplayer map, do you? Sorry if that sounds sarcastic; it isn't meant to be.

On another note, after watching the new vids, I have to say that if I look at it as if it is a completely different series, I think I can put up with it. There will still be a an empty hole in my heart for a good, arena shooter, but I'll probably pick up Halo 4. It won't feel the same, but it looks like it'll be good nonetheless. Maybe we'll get a great classic mode. Who knows.

EDIT: In that 'War Games' vid, at 0:34, anyone know what AA he uses to get that ridiculous boost of speed? That's too fast for sprint me thinks, and I'm worried it might wreak havok.

Also, that ODST helmet better be in the armory as per the last few games. It's currently the only helmet I adore.

#3432 That Scorch Guy, Jun 5, 2012
  13. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

That I see the HL Shield as a superb evolution over armour lock. Something for the competitive community. I'm stunned :D

Also, I wonder when somebody will make the tactic of a roman tortoise??

14. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

with forge and customs, and the high likelihood of classic playlists, i dont know why you're being all weird about the arena shooter aspects of halo to be totally dead.

no matter how many features we dislike are thrown in, we'll have **** to fall back on. dont worry guy.

15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

This has been said a lot. I think it's a mixed situation. The mid-sized maps look mostly like they were designed for multiplayer - Reflection obviously was, since it's a remake, and Zealot is too good to have not been conceived primarily that way. Not quite sure about Sword Base - it plays OK in multiplayer but it's so linear in campaign, and some of the ways they "fix" that don't really fix it at all, since the lifts and tight rooms and halls are so campable.

In the bigger map realm, though, Boneyard feels like it was designed for campaign first, invasion second, and multiplayer a distant third, and The Spire feels like it went invasion/campaign/multiplayer in that order. This was one of the main ways that BTB fans got screwed in Reach - the launch maps just weren't fit for competitive play. I still vote for them just to play something that isn't a forge map, but they don't play well.

16. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

I see what you're saying and I have to agree that Sword Base feels very linear with lifts added to make it seem less so. Or, they were going for something reminiscent of Prisoner with its "Get on top" gameplay with a new twist and missed the mark. No idea; I don't work for Bungie.

I think the Invasion maps look like they were built for both Campaign and Multiplayer simultaneously. They play alright in Invasion (most invasion maps to me seem alright), but because Invasion is designed for a prolonged, linear assault they don't translate well to most other modes of play. Both Boneyard and Spire, as you said, serve as good examples. I think they got it right on Breakpoint; so maybe you're right, the Invasion maps do look like they might have been made the other way. I still stand in defense of the small sided maps, namely Powerhouse (best integrated IMO), Zealot, Countdown, Reflection and Boardwalk. They seem to me to have been obviously designed for Multiplayer first, mostly evidenced by the use of only a single passage or two on the map in the campaign.

Halo 4 does need to ship with better maps off the start. In the end, community variants will probably end up being more fun again, but the defaults need to play well.

17. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Why was the needler one of the ordinance drops? And it seems like all these new forerunner weapons incinerate enemies even in multiplayer, 343i are just trying to fade out t-bagging. nooooooooooooooooo

18. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

I heavily disagree about community made variants being more fun. Most reach maps, not so great, but the community wasn't much better at it.

19. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

Looks like the original Scout Helmet from H3 is coming back:

[​IMG]

20. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Complete agreement here. Though, to be fair, its not like they gave us the best tools in the first place. Hopefully we can all do better this time around.