Halo 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

RvB looks a little goofy with that armor. I have to agree, that particular armor looks cartoon-y.

As of the release date? November 6th... I can deal with that.

And I too don't exactly like the first person scope view... a little cluttered.

This is all from that video alone, though.

2. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

11 - 5 = 6.

Just sayin bro.

Also... Bipod Friends?

3. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

Yep, made me feel even worse about the game.

Honestly, it pisses me off that a "lead multiplayer designer" believes that sprint speeds up the pace of the game. It makes me feel like he has no idea what he's doing.

4. ThrowinDemBows

ThrowinDemBows Takoyaki?

I just realized jet packers will also have sprint now.... I don't even.....

5. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

Can't wait til we find our they can spawn with rockets and snipers too. "But you can spawn with a MSR and and RPG in CoD..and that game is popular, right?"

Also, does it piss anyone else off that they keep touting Regicide like it's something special? Juggernaut with a bit of headhunter scoring, so creative 343.

6. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

That's a little aggressive. They've confirmed you wont be able to spawn with power weapons, first of all.
    Second of all, they aren't exactly touting Regicide like it's something special either, not sure where that's coming from.

7. ThrowinDemBows

ThrowinDemBows Takoyaki?

That won't happen.

8. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I don't think it's at all clear whether the net effect of sprint is to speed up or slow the game down. Neither would surprise me, though it WOULD surprise me if it does either to a great extent. The easiest thing to say is that sprint CAN do both: you can use it to get into the action faster and effectively shrink a map size, or you can use it to run away from battles and not die. Both of those things are true - the question that has yet to be answered is which is MORE true.

9. That Scorch Guy

That Scorch Guy Forerunner

Yep. Or camo kids who can crouch behind corners than blast full speed to do nothing but punch. Seriously, with both camo and sprint or jet-pack and sprint this looks like it will be more and more painful the more I think about it. Jetpack, sprint and instant respawn in some gametypes...I'm thinking the developers wouldn't know map control if it punched them in the rectum. I hope I'm wrong, but it isn't looking promising. That quote about how certain abilities counter other ablities I think I heard in the video...no. That's not Halo gamplay. Or at least, that isn't Halo gameplay I want to be part of. I'll play TF2 if I want counters and teamwork generated from working with players with different abilities. My opinion, at least.

I hope the classic playlists have no AAs AT ALL, including sprint as an AA. The problem with that being it divides the community even further, which is already shattered into tiny sub-factions who like their specific playlist/version of the game (Vanilla, TU1, TU2).

Well, I'll give it a shot. Though I'm a tad worried. Maybe more than a tad.

10. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I only heard about it once and it didn't seem particularly "touted" as much as "mentioned and explained." To me it seemed like a VIP thing, but I guess VIP and juggernaut are kissing cousins anyway.

11. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

November 6th.

Also, cartridges. And november the 6th.

12. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Hopefully this design decision means that basically all the AAs are nerfed compared to Reach. Because if they aren't, you're right - this game will be painful. I was slightly disturbed to hear the developer saying that giving sprint to everybody allowed the other AAs to be more useful and let people "tailor their strategy around their armor ability." That's pretty much the opposite of what I want from Halo 4. There's already too much tailoring of strategy to armor abilities in Reach - like the roof-hopping jetpackers on Countdown and Asylum, or the camo/snipe whores in BTB and Asylum. Bleagh.

13. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

14. That Scorch Guy

Agreed. If 343 "balances" all of the loadout weapons to the point where the AR, I assume the initial weapon can match the BR or the DMR, and players can get sprint and tailor themselves a derping loadout that works even better than Reach, I'm giving up on this new trilogy. It was bad enough in Reach and this loadout system will most likely add fuel to the fire.

Also, I'm listening to the podcast right now: it seems the weapon drops are notified to the players in obvious manners, which sounds like it will not be an asset to the flow of the map but instead hinder it by disallowing maps to use weapon spawns as an incentive to be in that location but instead just drop and add mass chaos to one are of the map for half a minute or so. Also curious to see how those drops happen in enclosed maps.

I'm listening to this because I heard someone say that it confirms that players will be slowed if they try to sprint while under fire. Fingers crossed.

15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Not so sure about that - controlling an area or being there just before the drop occurs would still be highly advantageous vs. waiting for notification and rushing in to God-knows-what. I can already see myself trapping people on a regular basis. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if the drop timers are random (which I think it has been said that they won't be) or if the notification for the drop happens well before the drop itself, e.g. a 30 second countdown. If that were to be the case... **** that.

I'm actually not sure if I love the idea of sprint slowing down if you get shot. I know on paper it should be good for gameplay, but in actual practice I bet it would be completely annoying. I already dislike similar features like de-scoping when you get shot.

#1995 Nutduster, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  16. That Scorch Guy

It certainly depends on the area; for example if the drop locations are all the sort of locations we've had power weapons before, than you're probably right. I still don't know about locations that would not be traversed if it were not for the weapons lying there, such as to some extent the rockets on Reflection. If they're very spread and in odd locations, I stand by my opinion. They also said that the players will recieve ample warning before the drop, which I assume to be 10 seconds if not more.

Oh, and we have to unlock the BR now, in case it hasn't been said. Also not diggin the "oh, don't worry they can't run from combat because you have sprint and can chase them too."
    At least the sprint slowdown is true, I just heard it while typing. A small respite. Personally I may be annoyed while trying to sprint too, but in the end it will help gameplay. I hope.

I also noticed they seems to completely skirt around the idea of custom maps the whole podcast. Interesting.

#1996 That Scorch Guy, Apr 17, 2012
  17. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary

They're on a ship that can generate completely fake "maps" or arenas, which has been compared to the Xmen's Danger room.

If they didn't have an awesome Forge-mode with that story canon, then they've made one of the dumbest choices I've ever heard from a gaming company.

18. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Probably just trying to hold off on giving any forge info whatsoever until the time is right. They've already hinted that there will be forge.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Eh. I can't be the only person that doesn't care about that stuff at all. I mean, it's a video game set in space/the future. It doesn't really bug me if they have a holodeck that generates the maps - it won't affect the actual game one whit.

#1998 Nutduster, Apr 17, 2012
  19. That Scorch Guy

I wasn't trying to suggest there would not be a forge mode or something similar; I was just surprised that they made such an effort to avoid mentioning just the existence of custom maps, as it would be crazy if they didn't include it.

20. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

No, I know that. I just mean that they're probably just going to such lengths because they want to make a single big forge announcement later, so leaking any information early (no matter how innocuous) would undercut that. It makes me hopeful that maybe something really cool is waiting that will get all us map-makers excited.