Halcyon

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Prototape, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Prototape

Prototape Forerunner

[​IMG]

Halcyon is a symmetrical map. It has 3 levels (ground, mid-level, upper level), two main bases (red, blue), one side base (for side battles, containing energy sword and sniper rifle). The upper level is a bridge connecting the two main bases accessible via ramps, or grav lift.

It supports the following gametypes:
    [​IMG]

I've been working on this on and off for about a month now trying to make sure everything is lined up perfectly and balanced. I'm currently working on spawns, setting them for each individual gametype, rather than setting them down once and saying I'm done. I would rather make sure each game is balanced the way they should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video
    YouTube - Halcyon Preview

Yeah, I know I bumped into a few objects while flying through it... lol. My capture card doesn't work on Windows 7, so I had to run it through Virtual XP which didn't let me use my computers full memory making it lag pretty bad. Also, weapon placement isn't final, so if you see something oddly placed, go ahead and let me know because everything's subject to change.

If you have any suggestions, let me know. Also, I am going to need some help testing this out, so if anyone wants to help, I would appreciate it. I would say the map is about 95% done, I just need to finish setting the spawns (which won't take me but an hour) and it will be ready to test.

2. Slamm Andrews

Slamm Andrews Forerunner

Simple, but interesting! I like the aestetics here. If you need someone to help test it with you, let me know.

3. oOMr BecksOo

oOMr BecksOo Forerunner

Nice looking map looks like it could have some great game play! maybe abit more cover on the walkways? Bare in mind im looking from the pictures!

4. Prototape

Prototape Forerunner

That would be great, I'll add you on XBL (or you add me, either way) and let you know when it's good to test. It should be pretty much finished tomorrow.

Are you talking about the outer walkways that wrap around the map? I was considering adding something there, but wasn't sure what would work. I'll look through the objects and match it up with something. Thanks for the feedback!

5. menotyou135

menotyou135 Ancient

For a minute I thought you had ripped off fritzter's map of the same name. The description you used even fits a description of his map.

As for this map, it looks nice. Only problem I can see is that the catwalks are a bit long. You might want some section to kind of break them up you know?

6. oOMr BecksOo

oOMr BecksOo Forerunner

7. Prototape

Prototape Forerunner

Haven't heard of the map. I did a search for Halcyon, but apparently didn't narrow down the results well enough. If there's anything I hate it's accidentally taking someone else's name, but it happens. I'll probably end up changing it.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. They are pretty long with really nothing going on. I'll divide them up and see what I can do. Maybe add a room or a tower.

I figured that's what you were talking about lol. Like I said to menotyou135, I'll mess with the catwalks and see what I can do to make them a little more interesting. I'll update the topic when I have something that looks right.

8. Curious Corndog

Curious Corndog Forerunner

I'd like to test, too, actually.
    So feel free to throw something at me also.

9. Prototape

Prototape Forerunner

I'd appreciate it Curious Corndog. I'll add all who's offered to test and send you guys a message when it's ready to test. Probably won't be today. Been busy today and messing with the catwalk took a bit of the time I was gonna use finishing weapon placement/spawns.

Here's what I've got with the catwalk. I strayed away from making it two levels because there's already a lot of room in this map and places to go. I feel like if I add too much, there's going to be a lot of useless space.
    I dunno if you can see it, but I did add a bit of cover on the catwalk where I thought it needed to be placed. But as it stands, I feel like the structures provide enough cover as it is. You of course can't see that, but I've been walking through it and keeping an eye on where you can be seen. I don't want to give it too much cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new structures provide some good cover from oncoming enemies on the catwalk. The walls give them good place to hide and recover their shields.. Or to camp. Whatever floats your boat.