Gun and Mongoose dispensers.

Discussion in 'Reach Aesthetic Maps' started by HalfScottishGuy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. HalfScottishGuy

HalfScottishGuy Forerunner

Working download link: Download
    (am I really not able to edit the map link after posting? man...)

Ok so, first and foremost I must give some credit to cart0graph purely for giving me the idea of dispensers/vending machines. I'm sure he is not the first person to think of it but it was his post that gave me the idea. I liked the idea of a weapon dispencer but didn't at all like the idea of using up so much space or so many limited/valuable resources, so I decided to see if I could make my own.

This map features a single weapons dispenser:[​IMG] a double dispenser: [​IMG] and a mongoose dispenser:[​IMG] and also off to the side is all the pieces of the weapons dispenser, separated.

Firstly, weapons.

This dispenser uses only 8 pieces (3 small birdges, a small railing, a crenelation cover, 1 mine, 1 portable cover and 1 shield door) and costs a tiny 430 to make (or only 660 for 2 made next to each other, as they can share a shield door, see twin dispencer). All the pieces are aligned to specific coordinates, making it very easy to reproduce exactly. It also resets after 10 seconds for unlimited uses. and best of all... I mean c'mon, it looks like a real vending machine...

The mechanism is very simple, there is a mine submerged beneath the front wall (small bridge), with a shield door just submerged below the surface, this means that if a player bumps into the wall the mine will go off but it will do them no damage.

[​IMG]

On the other side of the wall is a portable cover, tilted back (the covenant shield) with whatever weapons you want placed on top. The detonation of the mine temporarily disables the portable cover, allowing the weapons placed on top to fall down below into the shoot.

[​IMG]

The mechanism for the mongoose dispenser is basically the same although the placement of objects is a little more complex and as its hard to view it all from inside, the best way to see how it works would just be to dl the map and take a look, I have no capture card so unless someone else wants to make a video, thats the best way. But basically the mongoose is propped up on another portable cover, when another mine switch is pressed, it sets of a small chain reaction which destroys the portable cover, and a gravlift shoots the mongoose out the shoot. I could have made this more resource efficient and I may indeed upload a better version of it later, but aesthetically I really like the way it works at the moment and its not TOO expensive. (about 1200?)

[​IMG]

The issue with making a mongoose dispenser small & compact is that you have to have explosives as some sort of release mechanism, and also crammed in there, a highly explosive vehicle, and you have to it protected somehow or you will end up with a flaming mongoose chunk dispenser, which this was for quite a while, until I added a second internal one way shield. (I discovered unmanned mongooses (mong-i?) don't like passing through shield doors so 1 way shields must be used for this dispenser, though once again you can save by building 2 next to each other and using the same shield.)

So thats all for my first post on forge world (though not at all my first forge), I hope to see these used in exciting ways on maps in the future. :)

(end note, So while writing this I thought of a much cheaper, more compact way to make the mongoose dispenser, and I have made it, its is on the map file, though I am off to have a shower and dinner now so I will upload pictures and a description in a few hours, until then it can be a surprise for anyone who downloads... /lazy)

#1 HalfScottishGuy, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. simonstwin

simonstwin Ancient

I'm not sure if there's a functional or tutorial maps category, but I'm pretty sure this isn't for aesthetic maps.

Good tutorial however.

3. TNort17

TNort17 Forerunner

Maybe this would be best placed in casual maps? Mainly because its just for fun. Anyway it's a great little idea that would be really cool to see in an actual map. It'd be interesting to play a mini game with these incorporated somehow, maybe, i don't know, just suggestions.

4. HalfScottishGuy

HalfScottishGuy Forerunner

Yea I know it doesn't really fit in aesthetic but its certainly not any of the others. I wanted a separate category but there wasn't one, I saw the other dispenser in here so thought I would add it, there really should be a "forge inventions" thread... so people can place things like traps, dispensers, unusual elevators and things they have created with forge... although it might easily lead to double posts and people posting maps with only a few pieces... but It would make a great place for people to go to for ideas when building innovative maps...

any moderators around have any thoughts on this?

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

first bit of the last comment was directed at you. :) also there is a thread in the aesthetic maps section about maths formulas for perfectly rotating objects on different axis, so I think people generally put tutorials here... there really should be a tutorials/inventions category...

#4 HalfScottishGuy, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. Supa Chigga

Supa Chigga Forerunner

I believe that the aesthetic section is the correct category to post this kind of map in. In the Halo 3 aesthetic maps section, there is a kind of map known as a "Switch", and your map perfectly fits that description. An example of a switch map could be http://www.forgehub.com/forum/aesthetic-maps/78486-zipline.html