Gulch tops

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ShotgunCrucifix, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ShotgunCrucifix

ShotgunCrucifix Forerunner

So, I'm planning on forging a level on one of the three areas atop the gulch. I'm thinking of doing it on the biggest one which is by the passage which leads into the gulch and atop the cave which leads into the open area.

This will be my first serious forge and I want to build a nice Team Slayer level. However, one of my major concerns with the gulch is players leaving the map area and down the rest of Forge World.

How do I go about making sure they do not leave the designated area without building some big wall around it. Also: any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

Not sure where you're talking about, but a combination of kill zones and safe zones should work. Kill zones kill either on impact or kill after ten seconds of being within it's boundary. I believe that safe zones are just the opposite and they designate safe areas. and everything else outside of it will kill the player.

#2 Plasma Blades, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Inferi

Inferi Forerunner

Use kill barriers to define the shape of your map. They come in two varieties, Soft kill and Insta-kill. Soft kill gives players 10 secends to GTFO while insta-kill barriers kill a player the moment they enter them

4. Phenomachronic

Phenomachronic Forerunner

^^^^^ Listen to this ^^^^^^
    Kill barriers are your best friend. In your case, I'd recommend putting a cylindrical hard kill in the cave at ground level. Raise the top to about 7 or 8, and expand the radius to surround the plateau by about 5-10 units, or the length of a tank or two. Just make sure when you jump off the plateau now, you will not be able to jump past the boundary.

Next, put a soft kill in near the same spot, this one just needs to be roughly the same radius and even taller in height. Just make the height is slightly below the lowest point on the plateau. You don't want it to come above the higher ground level or you wont have freedom to walk anywhere.

For the cliff sides adjacent, I imagine you wouldn't want people using those to crawl out (****ing vermin), so use a rectangular soft kill and size it and position it to disable a hillside if needed.

#4 Phenomachronic, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. pyro

pyro The Joker

Since nothing here seems to give a clear explanation, here's exactly what you should do. Since the map will be bounded by dropoffs and a sheer cliff, there's not much worry about people going out to the sides as long as they don't jump down. Make a giant soft safe zone that covers the entire area of this cliff and dips about 3 player heights below the edges of the cliff but does not cover any of the ground below. Now place a hard kill zone a significant distance below the bottom of the safe zone. The safe zone gives players a countdown to return to the battlefield, and the kill zone makes players die when they fall off the edge without having to wait.

6. Saizyn

Saizyn Ancient

pretty much what these guys have daid. A similar zoned map i'm working on is controlled by a giant soft safe zone to define the general play area, with smaller zones in areas that didn't fit in the box. A combination of hard and soft kills around every place i've found that can be jumped/jet packed to solve the problem of escapees.

stacking a safe zone inside a kill zone or vice versa will halt player progress away from your intended play area.

7. DavidJCobb

DavidJCobb Forerunner

You need a Soft Safe Boundary. The Kill Boundaries are optional.

Note that if a Safe and a Kill overlap, the Kill takes priority.