GUILLOTINE

Discussion in 'Map Discussion' started by WAR, Nov 18, 2015.

1. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

WARHOLIC submitted a new map:

Guillotine - An asymmetrical BTB map inspired by the Halo 2 Classic, Headlong.

Read more about this map...

2. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Changes to the OS area of the map significantly nerf its utility. The lift behind the tall tower is inconsistent and sometimes causes players to clip the landing space, requiring them to manually land. The Mantis is ridiculously over powered. Awesome map all together, and very faithful to the original design. Might even player better for H5 than it did H2.

3. SmartAlec13

SmartAlec13 Ancient

I haven't really played Halo 2, especially this map. The map does seem fun however. There is a lot of open air, and the map in general feels huge. Every time I play on it I discover new areas. I can't comment too much on positives or negatives. I enjoy playing on it, and I don't mind the grey theme that everyone else complains about. Its a city. It feels right to me.

4. Preacher001

Preacher001 Forerunner

I like it more than the original. :yes::yes:

SimmonsZore likes this.
  5. SloppyBottom

SloppyBottom Recruit

A very honest reproduction. Needs warthogs badly though, and I think the Mantis is just bad vehicle design even if it isn't overpowered on this particular map. The only thing I would think to change is perhaps make the jumps in the hanging bits require a bit more skill, but that's nbd.

6. SgtSlaphead

SgtSlaphead Talented

They just had to include a Mantis on one of these maps didn't they... Get rid of it and put back the Warthogs the map was so clearly changed to support 343! The fact that this map plays well even with the ridiculous vehicle changes proves how great it is. Great job with this remake. It's amazing to me that an 11 year old design suits Halo 5 near perfectly. It will be perfect as soon as I see Hogs and hopefully no Laser with that.

7. Kamera

Kamera Ancient

The Headlong remake was pretty to look around, but I immediately noticed how empty a lot of the hallways and rooms are.

8. End My Misery

End My Misery Legendary

Meh. I was never a fan of the original Halo trilogy map design (the maps I did play anyways).

- You guessed it. The Mantis.

- I'm sure this will subside over time, but navigation is a huge pain on this map. (I never really played Halo 2 MP beside MCC, and this map never came up so I never learned the original.)

- Not a fan of the weapon placement. They just kind of seem placed there for the sake of being on the map.

9. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger

So in the lord of the rings you had the two towers. Isengard and the dark tower. Now the reason lord of the rings worked is because there was the flank cirith ungol so frodo and samwise were able to flank from above and drop the ring. Now like middle-earth this map has two towers and sure you have helms deep and minus tirith but the map lacks cirith ungol so players are not able to flank the dark tower. That is my feedback.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 22, 2015 ---

Kell Of Scots, a Chunk and WAR like this.
  10. Nadendary

Nadendary Guest

There are two areas you can climb up onto to get out of the map, lift at rockets has a small gap that looks terrible if you notice it and kinda a big let down from popular forgers and 343. Mostly the map has small little thing but the map is good just the Mantis isn't a good vehicle on it kinda wanted to drive a Warthog like the original

11. Foxy

Foxy Promethean

Often times creating a lot of vertical play space in a map that already has a large footprint can excessively fragment gameplay. This isolates players and can lead to stale games. Headlong was the unsung hero from Halo 2 that proved that verticality can exist effectively in a big team map. Psycoduck achieved the impossible by creating an almost exact replica.

Bases have been simplified and vehicle routes accentuated. The map has upheld its original arbitrary nature while making the paths more understandable.

12. TheClubhouse

TheClubhouse Ancient

Headlong is among my top 3 favorite halo maps, and in alot of ways this plays better.

That one lift behind the centre building isnt 100% working. I missed my hogs. I can easily understand people not liking the Mantis, but I enjoy slaying vehicles (its why I play BTB). Its great that with the running/evade you can make it from tower one to the middle building (up high). I wish that large dumpster was behind the attackers base was still there (not replaced with a garbage can), as I often find myself back there on my way to take that stronghold.

Overall amazing map, love it everytime i get to play it

13. SimmonsZore

SimmonsZore Promethean

I like how the high way jump is made so that Warthogs can jump back and forth, as well as behind blue building... then 343 replaces warthogs with a Mantis. XD
    I love your remake of headlong! However, strongholds on here is alittle unbalanced me.

14. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

Psychoduck updated Guillotine with a new update entry:

Version 1.5

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. Preacher001

Preacher001 Forerunner

Wouldn't mind a few comparison shots.

16. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

I noticed a few days ago that there were Warthogs back in the matchmaking version. I haven't touched matchmaking very much since Forge released so I wasn't following any news on it, but was this 343's doing or did they update the map with your changes?

17. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

This initial update was done internally based on player feedback. the changes outlined in my update entry in this map posts are all in addition to the changes already made to the version in matchmaking.

ReclaimerX22 likes this.