GTA V General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by serumembryo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I agree with all of that. San Andreas's story was very diffuse to me - you go to all these different places and work for people who don't know each other, and a lot of the plot threads don't tie together very well. The core story with the culdesac gang and Sam Jackson's character was great, but so much of the rest seemed to barely relate to it. I would also agree that Vice City's story and atmosphere was damn sweet, although the diversity of San Andreas trumps it for me - even though no one part of SA is as cool as the neon beachfront from Vice City, you have the mountain/countryside, the hills of San Fran, smoggy orange LA, the Vegas strip, the desert - the fact that they pulled off all of that and did most of it well is amazing to me, especially for a last-gen game.

Ultimately though, we're on the same page; it's the variety of stuff to do and the gameplay that makes SA so amazing. In a few specific respects Vice City (and even GTA3) win, but for pure fun, SA is unfuckwithable.

Edited by merge:

A lot of it probably comes down to what you want out of the game, I guess. It sounds like story matters a lot to you. To me, on the other hand... well I'm the guy who spent literally two whole afternoons using the cheat code that enabled superjumps on the BMX bike to try to hop my way up to the top of the tallest building in L.A. Also the guy who played a game with friends called "Get from the top of Mt. Chilliad to your safehouse in the culdesac on a dirt bike with 5 stars." For sheer goofing around and finding weird **** to do months after the story was exhausted, San Andreas may never be equaled.

As for atmosphere, I appreciate it but it's not all-encompassing to me. It's something that sucks you into a game on the first day you play it. After that, the game has to stand on its own. And the big problem with Vice City is that driving around that city is freakin' boring. There's barely any good jumps, barely any hills... it's an issue unresolved by any amount of sweet neon or FBI guys in suits without socks.

GTA4 was straight-up GTA3 on the current gen, with a better story (much better) and nicer graphics. That's what it was to me. It has a similar (maybe not quite as gritty) atmosphere and it gets back to basics after the insanity of San Andreas. I like it, but for **** to do I think Red Dead blew it out of the water, and I'm hoping GTA5 does likewise to Red Dead.

#141 Nutduster, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. Redy

Redy Hipster

KDST needs to get the "Hold the Line" track again, by Toto. That music was awesome, I just took a flying truck and the invincibility cheat, so I did barrel rolls in the sky and plunged all the way on the road, so I could blow most cars with just one touch. That was one of the most crazy happiest moments of my PS2 games. Long life, Hydra. I still remember the sequence nowdays, Triangle, Triangle, Square, Circle, X, L1, L1, Down, Up.

#142 Redy, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. Sam

Sam Ancient

4. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Oh my god.

So psyched. They really seem to be trying something mind-blowing in this game. If GTA4's design was basically conservative, it seems like this one is the opposite - truly the San Andreas of this gen. I can't wait.

5. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Hmmm sounds interesting. I'm glad they're switching things up. I like how they're taking "radical" gambles for the sake of creativity.. like having three main characters, I could actually see it being pretty spectacular if they pull it off right

6. xXTacoGuyXx

xXTacoGuyXx Promethean

Trailer 2 in about an hour. Also, the release date is not confirmed. Walmart are just guessing.
    Grand Theft Auto V

7. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Trailer #2.

O_O

8. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

They have dogs-

[​IMG]

9. Security

Security Ancient

so it is Spring 2013. I predict it will be pushed back, though.

10. Zigywig

Zigywig Forerunner

I have to say, I've never seen Rockstar attempt a GTA game like they're doing here. I heard 3 main characters? This should be interesting.

11. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

I got an email from Amazon saying the arrival time will be March 27th... can't seem to find any confirmation on that. I didn't look all that hard tho to be honest

#152 Monolith, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  12. Chron

Chron Ancient

New batch of screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Security

Security Ancient

Submarines? Holy ****

14. PandaMan

PandaMan Ancient

SUBFUCKINGMARINES I am in love right now, definitely buying this game day of release.

15. Elite Warrior5

Elite Warrior5 Forerunner

16. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Damn, I wish this game would stop getting pushed back. At least it sounds like Sept. 17th is pretty much concrete, but it's hard to believe it took this long just to get to the point where they're announcing a date. Feel like I saw the first trailer ages ago.

17. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Wait.... really. That's dumb but w/e. I can still play IV or RDR in the meantime I guess

18. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Whilst I am pretty gutted about having to wait, seeing two rushed Halo games in a row has made me more open to waiting for a game to be done right. Much as I'd prefer that companies planned better rather than pushing it back and causing disappointment, I'm more OK with this than I would have been a couple of years ago.

19. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Good thinkin', it's probably better that they do it right rather than leave mistakes..