Gridlock

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Draw the Line, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I like that idea.

Lol, that was my first reaction to it too. But I've seen Draw's other maps so I thought I would check it out, and I'm glad I did.

Hmmm... you just told everyone about it. I guess I better get ready to get spawn killed.

Anyways, Draw, I want to review this map with a bunch of people. We're gonna do it next Tuesday. Are you going to make any changes to the map, like Gauss hogs or more respawn points? I want to make sure we review a version that you're happy with.

2. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Can't let you have all the spawn kills, can I? And by 'all' I mean the one time you got me...

3. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

This map was by far the finest example of city blocks on foundry that I have seen. Good work with the power weapons too. This seems like a pretty well balanced swat or objective map.

4. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I did make some revisions last night that I believe I am happy with. I changed a few weapon spawn times, and added a little geometry here and there to prevent people from grenade jumping on top of the map. I'll be going back and adding more spawn points though, I'm glad someone caught that.

5. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Cool. I'm definitely looking forward to playing this for the review team...

6. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Final version is up and running. I'll have pictures up soon of some of the small revisions made.

And in response to someone's comment that the photos don't do this map justice.... its hard to get a good shot of everything because of the limited view the map creates everywhere....Perhaps I'll try and get a video up....save the video from the Furious review, that would be perfect actually.

7. wheezyjo

wheezyjo Ancient

good work ! nice concept

8. Creeping Death

Creeping Death What's a Halo?

I've decided I'm gonna give her a go. Wish me luck.

9. ValorousBob

ValorousBob Ancient

Okay i was planning on using this fro a LAN party, but the download f'ed up or something and i didn't get it in time fro teh party. I did however play it several times on XBL with 6-10 people. It was pretty fun and the games went back and forth. None of us had played it before, so it took a while to figure it out. At first the turrets in the bases dominated, but i found a sniper in a corner somewhere (i legitamayely got lost in sea of boxes) and sniped the turret guy right before i got needle-pwned. I would recomend DL'ing this map, especialloy if you have at 6 or more people.

10. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Cool, definitely will DL the final. I'll save you the game when we do the Furious Review and put it up on my fileshare for you. I'd make a video for you, but I lack a cap card.

11. ferrari504

ferrari504 Ancient

12. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Rick's Recap

Overall Enjoyment Durability Aesthetics Originality Balance

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    8/10 9/10 7/10 8/10 9/10 6/10

Map Review Haiku:

Cool level design.
    I need to learn how to drive.
    Feels like I cheated.

Review:

I was really excited to try this map out. And I was not disappointed. Despite a few flaws (my opinion), I had a great time. The level design is great. I love the way the vehicles play into the map.

My first problem was a bad spawn. I think I spawned (along with another teammate) right at the opponent's base, making an easy flag grab. This only happened once, though. My next problem is the barrels that spawn and allow you to jump the walls separating the bases. It's way, way too fast. I realize that you put it in to speed up the game later on, but I don't like it. I felt like I was stealing every time I went that way (every time I spawned from then on).

Aside from those two things, this was a really really good map. Definitely my favorite of the three. Everyone should play this to understand how a good objective map should play. I just wish we had gotten a game of slayer in so I could have seen how that worked.

Rick's Suggestions:

-Get rid of the barrel spawn. It makes it too easy.
    -Work on spawn areas. 9.5/10 with them fixed.

13. GoodWhaleSushi

GoodWhaleSushi Ancient

14. the von

the von Ancient

looks great for a lan party!

15. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

[​IMG]

Gridlock is pure ugly fun. I had a great time playing this one. I'm tempted to say the concept is stupid: it's a system of boxes arranged in a grid, but it's pulled off so well that I will be nice. There are a couple of raised machine gun positions and some rooms built into the grid, which break it up enough to be unique and functional. It also takes full advantage of what little space Foundry offers, which earns my kudos. There are some problems with the base-to-base route. I know I'm not the only one who watched the video of Furious (effortlessly?) shrotcut multiple times across the walls which seem to be meant to lengthen the distance between the bases. There is not much to speak of aesthetically. The symmetry is nice, but that's about it. These are very minor flaws, I really had more fun on this one than any other map we reviewed tonight.

Enjoyability: 9/10
    Durability: 6/10
    Aesthetics: 5/10
    Origionality: 7/10
    Balance: 9/10

Pred's Overall Score: 7/10
    [​IMG]

16. Iv0rY Snak3

Iv0rY Snak3 Ancient

pics look great will dl

17. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I'm getting a general feeling that everyone from "The Furious Review" hates those barrels. They will certainly be gone in the updated version...I'm waiting for the other reviews before making any changes. Glad everyone enjoyed playing on the map!

18. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Yeah, hate those barrels. But I really like the cityscape with the boxes. It's so simple, but when you drive around on it, it's pretty fun. 'Course the overpasses are really what makes it for me. I might've put in more.

I had a bad spawn or two, but I don't really have much else to complain about. Good job.

Overall: 8/10
    [​IMG]
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Durability: 7/10
    Aesthetics: 7/10
    Design: 9/10
    Originality: 10/10
    Balance: 8/10

19. JediWithASniper

JediWithASniper Ancient

The Furious Review

By: JediWithASniper

Here are my ratings and review.

Enjoyment 7 out of 10

Balance 7 out of 10

Durability 7 out of 10

Aesthetics 8 out of 10

Originality 8 out of 10

This map was excellent for multiflag. It was highly competitive, and very equally balanced. When I first spawned, I didn't bother to notice the gausehog to my left, I just wandered out into this amazing grid, awed by it's perfect alignment. Little did I realize that in my stupor, there was a loaded gausehog coming straight at me. I let out a yell of "Oh crap!", as my life was wiped off the map. Ok, ok, so the whole round was not quite this dramatic, but it was that fun, and definitely that cool. This map held up very well, in fact, I did not find anything that I could break. Did I mention how awesome this map looked!?

Later, after we tested for multiflag, I came back with a few friends and just played straight up slayer. We had a blast, I got a flamethrower, and my friend got a gausehog, and we played a little game I like to call CHICKEN. Playing as slayer, may be even more fun than multiflag, and this map turned out to be an excellent play. I have not seen any other map that was quite this fun in a while, just getting in a mongoose, and trying to drive through the grid without slamming into a wall, or being tagged with a flame grenade is awesome!

My Overall Rating Is: 7 out of 10

20. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Squidhands' Furiously Tentacular Review

[​IMG]

I have to say that the first time I saw the screens for this I thought, "Meh. Upturned boxes. Next." Boy how wrong I was and I'm happy to admit it. CTF played really well, and the upturned boxes really gave an overall inner-city feel to it. We played the variant where a team can only score if their flag is at home and I think I'll always play CTF this way from now on. I'm willing to bet that Team Slayer works great too.
    Weapon variety and placement worked really well, although I'll have to go back and search for that Hammer. :squirrel_wink: I might suggest using a couple of portable grav lifts instead of the barrels on a long respawn to get up to the overpasses.
    There were still a few respawn issues I feel that need to be addressed. I think it was either Furious or Rick and I spawned right in front of the enemy base and scored an easy capture. An easy fix is to create two respawn areas that cover both sides of the map and apply them to each team. You might even want to place a "Flag, Home" respawn area for each team, too. Other than that I really didn't see any issues.
    This a great objective map and really shows that sometimes the most basic of layouts can really be clever and playable. Nicely done, sir!

Enjoyment: [​IMG]
    - Very fun, especially with the CTF variant (I smell a new Community Gametype, guys) we used. Driving 'hogs through the grid system was great.

Durability: [​IMG]
    - I didn't see any problems with the way this map was set up, other than the whole "barrel situation". Easily fixed.

Aesthetics: [​IMG]
    - Very utilitarian, yet it still gives off an inner-city vibe. I never would have thought a bunch of vertical boxes could have achieved that.

Originality: [​IMG]
    - This ties directly in to Aesthetics for me. It's a very clever idea to use objects the way you did, and it comes across as very original.

Balance: [​IMG]
    - This is where the respawn at the enemy base takes away from what would normally be a higher score. Add in those Team respawn areas and I think you'll be golden.

Overall: [​IMG]

And because I'm just a great guy, I've got the game vid on my fileshare for you, DTL. It's in Slot 20 (although it looks like there's already been some DL's).