Debate God

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nitrous, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

Why? Because you chose it. Also why must all suffering be punishment? Hell is not a punishment. Hell is "complete separation from God". It's not a punishment if you choose to separate yourself.

2. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Both

So give us an example of your ideal Heaven. What would perfect never ending happiness be like to you?

I've said it before, but happiness, satisfaction, bliss, joy, and elation feel the way they do mainly because of their temporary natures. The feeling that your peaceful, happy moment could come crashing down at any time makes you truly appreciate and truly feel that happiness. In our world, there is no shortage of pain and joy, grief and excitement, mourning and celebration. The Heaven and Hell that you are looking for after you die are all around you right now. The fact that we have both makes this the perfect world, and any version of existence that does not contain both is flawed and unbalanced, making for horrible gameplay - 2/5

#1442 makisupa007, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

Impossible to describe.

4. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Description

Then, impossible to believe. If you can't describe what you are even talking about, how can you be so confident in your religion's version of the afterlife?

5. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

You may have said happiness is meant to be temporary which is EXACTLY the reason I said eternal happiness... or if you'd like me to get right down to it joy.

6. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

Because in the Bible it is described, but because it's so perfect it is not possible for our human mind to fully understand until we are given perfect bodies in heaven.

7. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Nice Bod

Okay.................what is a perfect body then, to you?

8. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

no pain

9. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

To be honest, I don't think God is all-powerful or all-knowing. Why can't he just be really strong and smart? Does anything less make us feel insecure? YOU BETCHA IT MAKES YOU QUEASY.

Haha, I was looking for "respectable", but I couldn't think of the word so I was like, "Hell this guy is admirable so awesome." :p

And what's with all this talk about "feeling" in Heaven? Don't we transcend the physical, or have I been living a lie? By the way, that means sinners can't feel the burn in Hell. Kinda makes me want to go there; I could be standing in flames, feeling nothing, looking bad-ass.

EDIT (to the below post): I do happen to have a blog on what I think the afterlife is, if you wanted to take a gander at it.

#1449 EonsAgo, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  10. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

Everyone sins, not everyone goes to hell. (Just had to clarify that)

Well, the Bible DOES say its eternal torture, so I guess we could figure out that regardless of being spiritual there or not, it would still hurt.

11. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

If it isn't as awesome as the FSM heaven, then forget it. lol jk ;P

But really, whether or not you know whats it is like, an eternity without feelings other than happiness is more torture in my eyes than the supposed fires of hell.

12. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14VLw6CPuSI
    Skip to 2:22.

(And yea I know its spongebob but it sort of gets my point lol)

The point is that although heaven may seem like its so awesome and that eternal happiness may seem great, but I think its not eternal happiness, but eternity without sadness. Which also may seem great, but when you have nothing to compare the feeling of happiness to, and you know that the feeling won't go away, that it isnt a limited time thing like happiness on earth, then you can't enjoy it as much. And as seen on squidwards face in my video posted, you eeventually level off...

If you go on a vacation, for a long time, lets say 3 weeks or whatever you wanna consider long... its great. But then it gets boring after a while.

Even if heaven isnt just boring sitting around, its some non stop galactic super party that just doesnt end... Im sure that too is awesome... until you bore to death, which you cant do since you are already dead.

I am completely stating my points a lot worse than they are being thought in my mind, but I'll say it again, summarized and hopefully better than I just said...

Basically, happiness without end only can last so long. After time, it will level off and become tiresome. Not sad, but boring. Now what squidward went through was maybe a week, what I described was 3.

Let's see you go an eternity.

That's why being in heaven scares me.

And I know theres probably some "misconception" Im getting wrong here, but I see it as, an eternity is an eternity, and no matter what happens, even if you are in hell and are being burned or whatever happens there, eventually will also tire out....

Don't butcher me on this post, I know Im not the best debater and all, but I see it that way.

13. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Kirk

I will let Captain Kirk speak for me:

14. Jorgy411

Jorgy411 Ancient

Have any of you guys ever read about Thomas Aquinas?

If not, read about aquinas's 5 proofs to God's existence. Where he mentions [FONT=&quot]motion[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]cause[/FONT][FONT=&quot], necessity, degree, and design are the 5 proofs to Gods existence.

In short, here is a quick exsert on his work:

[/FONT]Let us set forth the schematic structure of the five proofs:

• (1) Our senses attest to the existence of movement or motion. But every motion presupposes a mover which produces that movement. To have recourse to an infinite series of motions is not possible, for such an infinite series does not and cannot solve the question of the origin of the movement. Hence there exists a first mover that moves and is not itself moved. This is God.
    • (2) Some new thing is produced. But every new production includes the concept of cause. Thus there exists a first cause which is itself not caused. This is God.
    • (3) Everything in the world is contingent; that is, it may or may not exist. We know from experience that all things change in one way or another. But that which is contingent does not have the reason of its existence in itself, but in another, that is, in something which is not contingent. Hence there exists the necessary being, God.
    • (4) The fourth way takes into consideration the transcendental qualities of reality, "the good, the true, the noble," and so forth, which we find in things to a greater or lesser degree. But transcendental qualities are nothing other than being, expressed through one of its attributes; hence things under our experience are beings to a greater or lesser degree. But the greater and lesser are not intelligible unless they are related to that which is the highest in that order; and what is the highest is also the cause of all that exists in that order. Therefore there exists the highest degree of being and it is the cause of all limited being. This is God.
    • (5) Order exists in the world about us (we are born, we live, we die. Order). Hence there must exist an intelligence responsible for the order of the universe. This is God.
    A Quick Source

15. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

very good, but there is more to God than just reasons for there to be a god, but at least people can see that there needs to be a god and there is one.

16. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

Faith in God is faith that he will save you. Knowing He exists is not enough.

17. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

that is right. anyone can believe he exists because how could anything start without some kind of god, it takes faith to believe that God will save us.

18. Dreaddraco2

Dreaddraco2 Ancient

Why does God not mention evolution?

#1458 Dreaddraco2, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  19. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

what?

20. Sephire124

Sephire124 Ancient

Because according to the Bible God created the Earth in 6 days. Evolution says it was created in billions of years from a cosmic explosion. They contradict each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.