Debate God

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nitrous, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domomd367

domomd367 Ancient

To clear this up- I didn't think this debate was about typing errors?

Anyway, i just speak logically. I am not calling you stupid, i am calling you illogical.

2. EGP

EGP Ancient

Im just saying atheists use evidence when debating and Christians use what they believe in, which is hard to use when debating.

I personally would rather believe in something because i want to have faith in hope in something rather than nothing

3. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

I think the omelet guy got intimidated. I'd be scared of those facts too if I was running around calling evolution a "religion". What a character. =D

Eguitar: So instead of looking for facts and challenging the past, you are going to sit there complacently and just pray to God? Me, I just believe in God because I see no reason that he is not there; it's just a feeling. Now, you might say, "Gee Eons, I have a feeling that the whole bible is right too." Here's the difference between you and me: My belief in God is more general and unassuming; your beliefs are that the bible is law and truth. Bet me you haven't even read the whole bible. Bet me lots of money. How can you know something is all true if you haven't even read the whole thing? I heard you say before, "I don't think God would let his book be wrong." Yeah, well I don't see him dropping lighting bolts on atheists either. "Oh, but Eons, won't the atheists just go to Hell for punishment?" Well, if a man's only "crime" is being an atheist, do you think he should go to Hell?

Those of you who are saying, "Why believe in God when there is no proof?" Well, as long as I see no science or facts disproving God, I will continue to entertain that possibility; is there anything wrong with that? Don't tell me it's blind, because I have never been one to take fact over fiction. If you can prove a god is not there, I will stop believing in one.

4. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

So your telling me an all powerful, all encompassing, all loving god has absolutely no evidence for him, and he believes so strongly that you believe with out evidence he'll send you to hell for eternity for not believing. I would like to place my faith into a bit more reasonable bucket, thank you.

5. EGP

EGP Ancient

Well, God didnt write the bible, so i am really not sure if i am 100% in agreement or not. But for me I believe faith is all the evidence i need. I can't really explain, because Nitrous, you are very intellegent, I respect your posts, Its just simply hard to beat you. Its hard to debate for my side.

6. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

Faith in what though? Make sure you know what you are believing in.
    And if you think that part of the bible is wrong, how can you be sure the rest isn't?

7. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

But why is it hard to debate from your side. Why should I have the high ground?

8. EGP

EGP Ancient

You are way more of an intellegent person then I am and you have really good arguments that i cant really defend.

You have my IQ Doubled.

9. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Though I appreciate you ejaculating my ego, I really meant, why are my arguments more powerful than yours? Shouldn't god provide something unto himself other than a best-selling book that really can't be validated in anyway? Does that not say anything to you?

10. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

It shouldn't say anything to him at all. His ignorance of a belief does not stand as reason for that belief to be less valid (no offense to the guy). To every accusation, there is a sound retort. I might not know, and it's often not easily grasped, but there is always an answer.

###EDIT###
    I'm going to turn off my sig because I was called out on it, even though the prosecutor conveniently replaced the same accusation to Nitrous with a nice, long nob-slobbing. I hate suck-ups.

11. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Then make it. Not all posts can be defended.

*It is not a rule to turn off sigs*

12. Jimbodawg

Jimbodawg Ancient

By God, I believe in creation.
    Without it, existence would be impossible.
    But one question, what created our creation?

It's never ending.

13. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

It's never ending if you are talking about the "Big Crunch" or whatever it is. (Makisupa had a post on that I think.)

Also, it wouldn't be impossible for us to exist if there was no God.

14. domomd367

domomd367 Ancient

I would of thought that that is the point where atheists win.

15. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

Winning isn't fun because then the debate has to end. =(

16. cortinator

cortinator Ancient

God's a label for the higher being. That higher being is powered by faith. Faith is consumed by believers. There ya go. The argument over the existence of God is moot because quite frankly, we will never prove whether he exists or whether the believers are just chasing their tails around in a circle. So in this case, the only place God truly exists' is in the believers themselves. He exists because they want him to exist. As Science progresses, the line between Religion and Reality becomes rapidly more thin. Who knows, perhaps we actually know the truth of whether or not God exists, but we're afraid to expose it to the people due to one of the world's largest religions collapsing.

17. EGP

EGP Ancient

I am not trying to piss you off. Im just trying to debate in a fair way.

Its actually hard for me to supply physical evidence for my side

When I look at it now i see on both sides of Chrisianity and evolution they both had to start from somewhere. In evolution i see that it started from a microorganism and eventually evolved. But where did that organism come from was it always there or did it appear out of nowhere.
    For Christianity God had to of be there for ever. Time is infinite in both ways, in other words there is no time. God decided to create life and here we are today.

18. Mace

Mace Old Tyme

faith.

19. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 Ancient

I don't believe most of the things in the bible (I think it's more for teaching a lesson/ moral) and I almost never go to church, but I believe in God. I believe he created the universe. I believe there is something more after life. I don't think Heaven and Hell are places - hell is not a place you will burn if you are bad and heaven is not a luxury hotel. I think they are more like states of mind. For example, if you killed, stole, cheated, etc. during life, then when you die you will be resented by others and have a crappy afterlife. It's hard to explain what I mean.

Anyways, It's just what I believe, I'm not a religion-freak. We'll just have to wait until we die to discover the real truth.

20. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Number one I wasn't mad, I was actually addressing you in a sort of sarcastic humorous tone. Of course text can't convey that so I'm sorry if you took it that way. I am in no way shape or form mad at you and will never be mad at you (unless i start swearing ;) ).

Where did god come from? If the universe needs a beginning, why doesn't god?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.