Debate God

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nitrous, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

READ THE OP.

This thread is not a dumping ground for you to post two cents and leave. Read the thread. Determine which arguments have succeeded and which have failed. Defend of support these arguments using new information or reasoning. Do not restate an argument that has been stated and discredited.

If you have just copy pasted from Answers in Genesis or Kent Hovind or some creationist website about how the Bible is true JUST STOP. Delete what you just pasted and make up your own argument. Because 9 times out of 10 its been stated 3+ times.

2. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

How can we debate something that even people who believe in God can't agree on?

#2 EonsAgo, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. Mysterious D

Mysterious D Ancient

Trick question.

There's no way we can prove of God's existence, we can only offer bits of information that man has not yet been able to decipher or understand, such as miracle cases of people coming out of 3 month comas; who's to say this is God's doing?

It can only be argued that some believe it is indeed His work while others believe there must be other reasonings.

4. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

Surely you must have a reason beyond, "Some like it, some don't." Surely you have a justification beyond, "I just do."

5. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

Well since most (maybe all) my reasons for believing in God are based on speculation, I'm not sure if I (or anyone else for that matter) can come up with any true evidence for God's existence.

The bible accounts for a lot of what I think about God, and now I'm beginning to doubt what it says.

EDIT: Well, I just think that a god exists because of how many people believe in a religion. They all (or mostly) have Gods in a religion, so I don't think that so many people could be wrong. Then again, a lot of people think the world will end in 2012. =/

6. fabioisonfire

fabioisonfire Ancient

I'm actually an atheist. For a short time, I was teetering on agnosticism, but I say screw that. I just try to look at everything that is presented to me (the Bible, etc.) and none of it adds up for me. I just don't see how he could exist. I don't know how anything is here, and neither does anyone else, so we use God as a symbol of creation, hope, and faith.

Once when I was a tad younger, I asked my mother "Mom, how did the story of Noah's Ark happen? Wouldn't there be any evidence of this torrential flood? And how did he possibly build a ship big enough for two of every animal on the planet Earth? And how did he even get all of the animals? And how did he repopulate the entire earth with his one wife?" My questions dragged on, until she finally said that "I think that the Bible is more of a tool to teach us good morals and values, rather than tell us a true story." Which is what I believe. The Bible has been rewritten and re-translated numerous times, and the stories are simply ludicrous, in my opinion.

I get into arguments/debates about this topic all the time, and I usually try to end it with "Look, it really just comes down to faith- and I have none." Which is true. Set aside all of the scientific stuff and it boils down to pure and simple faith.

7. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

There are a good deal of Atheists on the site (including me and Nitrous XD).

And yes, there is simply no way there can be such a supernatural superbeing. I mean, it's "plausible" but with a lack of any proof or believeable documentation (Bible=/= believeable) The only credit I give the bible is that most of the stories actually happened. Just the "supernatural" parts didn't. As in the story of Lot and his family, and God reigning fire down upon the land, and his wife turned to salt by looking, was actually the supernatural explaination of a meteor crash nearby with sent ash, soot and flaming meteor shards falling upon the surrounding land. His wife was an explaination for the natural occurence of sand pillars forming over time near the Dead sea. (and incase you want to know, saw that on discovery channel lol... theres a lot more info besides that, just don't want to go into it right now.)

Basically, the story happened, the Bible took the story and made it a fantasy. Another example: The Big Bang, and the creation of the universe, becoming, "God."

So in conclusion of this huge rant: There is a possibility (somehow) that a God exists, but its like the same possibilty as getting superpowers, winning the Mega Millions 10 times in a row, and falling out of a plane explosion 30,000 feet up high, and surviving the fall onto stone concrete, w/o a parachute. Actually, probably less chance than those. Im admitting there is that chance, but the lack of proof, and amount of scientific theories and facts that DO explain these types of Biblical occurences, disproves the idea in my opinion, and I'd think to anyone else, but obviously that is unfortunately not the case...

8. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

This is just baffling to me. People claim to have such strong personal convictions but when asked for a piece of evidence or a reason to believe in god their brains shut down.

9. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

How can we debate our beliefs? We can all believe different stuff, and I don't think there should be a debate on the forums, or the world, on just one religion.

You know you're breaking a rule, right?

10. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

kenny this isn't about just one religion. It's about if ANY God can exist. Whether it's the Catholic God, or Jewish, or Muslim, Hindu, etc... if people are refrencing just one specific one, it's probably because they know most about that one religion, so they are using it as a basis for their argument.

11. Nitrous

Nitrous Ancient

And what rule is that?

12. fabioisonfire

fabioisonfire Ancient

Very true. Most people I meet don't understand that atheism isn't just not believing in the Christian God, but any form of God for that matter.

13. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

I remember there being a rule in the debate forum specifying no debates solely on religion. Obviously it is gone now.

14. smitty0018

smitty0018 Ancient

Here is all the proof you could ever want... Bananas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3L359yKjs&search=proof+god+exist

15. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

EDIT: Dang, I think Smitty nailed it on the head. (hey, it was a joke zstrike!)
    EDIT: Gotcha Player. =D

16. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

As I just said, it was obviously taken away. I remember when the debate forum was first implemented, and it had such rule. Even look at past threads int he debate, you see people clearly warning people not to debate on religion, as it was a rule at the time.

17. Pigglez

Pigglez Ancient

That is the worst try at proof ever. It proves nothing at all, except that banana's fit in our hands? Good job there detective.

But really, I don't see how this proves anything.

18. ZANDER1994

ZANDER1994 Ancient

I believe there is a god. I do not believe in heaven, hell, anything the bible says, or anything some dude who says he "had a vision" says either. I believe in evolution and the big bang as well. What created the big bang? God.

Dude. Seriously? That furthermore proves evolution!

The plant adapted to make itself more easily eaten so it proves religion right? That's called adaptations and proves evolution correct if anything. Why do you think plants produce fruit? For us? No no no. They have seeds in them that we consume and will disperse when we defecate. A seed has a protective covering to keep itself from being damaged by the hydrochloric acids in your stomach. By spreading it's seeds, it allows the species to keep living. What next? Because the plant wants it's species to keep living, it means that they are here for us?

Since the banana is the monkey's food source (lol can you see where I'm going here) it basically is saying hey look, the food monkeys eat was made specifically for us! Wait. That would mean...

Oh yeah, and look at the title. Yeah the person who posted that video is very intelligent spelling "BANANA'S" HAHAHAHAHA!

19. smitty0018

smitty0018 Ancient

You do realise that that was a complete joke right? I was kidding saying that "Bananas are proof God exists" and the video is a joke. The maker even said that it was a joke. If you honestly think that I was serious, you're pretty gullible.

Anyway, here's the guy that made the video. I'm starting to like his points and I've been leaning toward what he's saying for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsm3-h_ex8&feature=channel

20. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

The Bible

I can't avoid a good God debate.

While it is impossible to refute the existence of god directly, an easier target is the bible. The bible and faith are what believers use to make arguments for an existence of god. The bible was written a long time ago, a very, very long time ago. It is riddled with statements that, given our current understanding of human morality and physics, show clear disconnect from reality. I've said it before, the bible was written to try and explain things that we did not understand. In it's time I can see how it would have been very popular. A book with all of these answers that people had probably wondered about for ages, but it amazes me that after 20 centuries most Americans are still accepting and teaching their children that this ancient text is fact.

Let's look at some major problems with "God's Word":

1. Explain why, when racism is clearly wrong, Jesus was clearly a racist (see Mark 7:25-29).

2. Explain why, when discrimination against women is clearly wrong, the Bible clearly supports the oppression of women.( Cor 11 and Tim 2:11-15.)

3. Explain why, when slavery is clearly wrong, the Bible clearly supports slavery. ( Peter 2:18.)

4. Explain why children should submit to their parents' decisions even when those decisions are clearly evil. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

5. If your god did not want Adam and Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, why did he put the tree in the garden of Eden (and at the center, no less)? Was it for shade? If so, why use something so dangerous as a shade tree? If the purpose of the tree was to tempt Adam and Eve, explain why it's OK for your god to engage in a practice that our modern-day courts of law refer to as "entrapment."

Those are some of the moral stands taken in the bible. Clearly a reflection of views at the time and not views for all time.

And then there are the accounts that go against everything we now know about the natural world(I'll just list two for now):

1. Noah's Ark - So far we've named about 1.8 million species on our planet. That does not count undiscovered species. How big was that f@$%ing ark?

2. The 6,000 year old Earth - Creationists claim that our Earth, the universe, and everything in it were created simultaneously about 6,000 years ago. There are so many ways to disprove this, but I'd like to use one that I've been thinking about. We can all agree that light travels roughly 186000 miles/second or 700 million miles/hour. If all of the stars and galaxies were created 6,000 years ago our night sky should be much, much blacker. Our Milkyway Galaxy is 120,000 light years across(it takes light 120,000 years to make it all the way across). According to the the creationist account we should only be able to see stars in a small fraction of our own galaxy, let alone hundreds of thousands of other galaxies. The light from those places simply would not be here yet.

The bible has some good lessons in it that should be taught to children completely separately from the dogma, faulty science, and speculation about the afterlife.

God, at least in the way man thinks he understands God, does not exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.