Ghostman

Discussion in 'Reach Mini Game Maps' started by Katanga, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

Hi, will you be my friend?

[​IMG]
    .......Forever?
    GHOSTMAN

You are bound to a covenant Ghost, can you and
    your vehicular friend reach the end?

Ghostman is a puzzle map I have created using the race gametype. Why race, you ask? Well, you start off on foot, but you will quickly find your purple companion...

But entering a vehicle is an unbreakable bond.
    By getting into the Ghost, you bind yourself to it. Whereever you go, the ghost follows. You have approximately 10 seconds on foot before your clingy new team-mate gets lonely, and catches us. But, remember the 3 golden rules!

• Ghosts will only go where there is space. In a small space, the ghost will find space.
    • Ghosts make great vertical clearance aids.
    • You only have 10 seconds of foot-time. Make frequent contact with your Ghost.
    The map itself is not designed to be overly difficult, and can be completed in about 6 minutes if done quickly. However, the Ghost will keep you constantly assessing whether an on-foot or vehicular approach is the right one for you.

To avoid spoilers, there are only two screenshots showing the first room. Screenshots will be added later to show further parts of the map. For a full walkthrough, watch my poor attempt at a speed run in the video below.

Part 1-1
    [​IMG]
    Part 1-2
    [​IMG]
    Happy ghosting!

Video (SPOILERS):
    [bungievid]12822553[/bungievid]
    Or click here. :)

#1 Katanga, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. Mabolsa Ritchie

Mabolsa Ritchie Forerunner

Lurve it, got my DL. Very well thought out i think adds a whole new challenge to puzzle maps.

3. RoflCat

RoflCat Forerunner

This is something new, a puzzle, with a ghost, a very intresting idea for a puzzle map, looks really fun and challenging, i'll give it a download and come back later to comment.

4. oz0 Bradley 0zo

oz0 Bradley 0zo Forerunner

I don't think i have seen a puzzle map with a vehicle before. I don't know why though, it seems simple now you have done it. can not wait to try it out. Can you do it with more than one person?

Edit. It took me 30 mins to do. But i am am terrible. But it was very fun.

#4 oz0 Bradley 0zo, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

Nope, unfortunately not. Had an issue with spawns.

6. TheRayzerTag

TheRayzerTag Ancient

I watched the video, and

you might want to change the respawn times on the drop shield, as the waiting can be rather frustrating. Also,if you haven't already, make sure that you can't break the map using the jetpack. Just add killzones and roofs and you'll be ok.

Also, very clever idea and you made good use of it too.

7. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

The respawn is at 1 second, but you have to wait for your body to vanish become it respawns.

8. JGarb

JGarb Forerunner

Its cool how you made a gametype like this, i have not seen this before. Its pritty challenging, but not too bad. Good map

JGarb Forge

9. Ajc 27

Ajc 27 Ancient

My Opinion

Personally I really enjoyed this map. It wasn’t too long or too short and could be done by anyone who understands basic puzzle maps but wants a challenge. To put it briefly it was awesome, an original idea that was backed up by the back story. However there was one flaw with the map that I found to not to be a huge problem but could be exploited.....if you couldn’t be bothered to do two jumps and a run up a small cliff. This was at the point where the ghost is to make a jump onto the 1-way shield door and land onto the platform on the other side (unless you got off mid way and bounced onto the platform, I did this after getting killed several times not understanding what to do) the ghost is able to boost up onto the rock and shoot up into the box at the top. Again this isn’t a massive problem but I did want to point it out. In conclusion I enjoyed this and found the puzzles challenging yet fun and smart, I highly recommend downloading this map if you want 5 minutes of fun that you can show to your friends. ajc 27

10. Katanga

Katanga Ancient

Firstly, thanks for the playtest prior to the release, it really helped :)

Anyway, what you pointed out was something I hadnt really addressed. It IS possible to skip jumping up one ledge, but the amount of time it saves is barely anything. Besides, jumping up the rocks to get up was actually put in just to make sure you land the jump more times than you would without the rocks.

Anywayssss;
    Thank you guys for the overwhelming support I've had in just the first day. I really appreciate it. The map was a blast to build, and I'm glad the hard work has paid off.

Now, for a challenge.

Hidden in the map are 5 Secret Shotguns. Can you find them all?
    All five can be picked up, but one may need some gentle persuasion. :)

11. Killer Peinguin

Killer Peinguin Forerunner

Interesting. A good way to combine puzzle and race!

12. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

I downloaded this today. Like it very much. Very original idea. U planning on making another?