Sandbox Gemini_H3 2.0

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by MavRen Ra, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MavRen Ra

MavRen Ra Ancient

Gemini_H3 2.0 is a remake of 'Gemini' (Halo 2, Maptacular Map Pack).
    I first built the map with some help of a friend of mine within object limit.
    For this version I started new all over using some of the default items.
    In this version items are also placed more effectively.
    The result is simple: more walls! With that the gameplay changes significantly and the remake gets closer to the original 'Gemini'.
    The map got additionally repositioned (direction to the sun).

Weapons .. additional ammo (respawn times):

Shotgun x 2 .. 0 clips (180s)
    Needler x 2 .. 2 clips (90s)
    Sword (180s)
    Plasma Rifle x 4 (20s)
    Plasma Pistol x 2 (90s)
    Brute Shot x2 .. 1 clip (120s)
    Covenant Carbine x 2 .. 2 clips (30s)
    Beam Rifle (180s)
    Plasma Grenades x 9 (45s)

additionally: Overshield (180s), Grav Lift (10s), Barricades (10s)

The layout, weapon layout, objective positions and respawns are all set with Halo 2's 'Gemini' as reference.
    This remake supports all gametypes though Slayer, Oddball and King of the Hill are recommended.

Now it's time for you to get a visual impression:
    (screenshots: haloscreenshots.net)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 MavRen Ra, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Mini Waz

Mini Waz Ancient

This is a definite download for me. This map look very well map and i can see the resemblances of all sections of the original level. I really like the Energy Sword in the tree it's a nice touch.

The only thing i would do if i were you is to include some images of the Halo 2 Gemini in your post so that people can see the original. 5/5 for me, awesome job!

3. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

Hell yes! You took my advice and added in those side walls, which will make those two "ramp corridors" safer on the map. I would not have the patience to remake the level again from scratch, but in less than a week? It looks like you used the budget to the fullest, I can't think of a single improvement, and good luck in the competition.

4. iTz Longshot

iTz Longshot Ancient

oh wow, i never thought somebody would make a remake of this. this is awsome. of what i can remeber, it looks alot like it. i liek the sword placement, thats prettysweet along with the "statue" right behind the overshield. Is there a way to get on top of the bouble blocks that are the walls though? if so, that could be a problem. but good job with the map

5. Winterburner

Winterburner Ancient

Very fine remake. Too bad I don't remember so much from the original map actually but the things i remember you have remade very well. This map is so good it will definitely get a download from me.
    Only thing you COULD improve is (I'm not quite sure but) people may jump out of the map from the higher side from on the Fins that lie close to the wall. Not sure but just saying.

6. BaronSharp

BaronSharp Ancient

Wow. 5/5.

I have already downloaded. This map is amazingly accurate!

I really like how you duplicated the central structure. Nicely done.

Will you be submitting any more maps for the contest?

7. Spirit798

Spirit798 Ancient

You could've used upside-down tin cups for the part with the trees, which would've made it aesthetically more appealing, I guess.
    For the rest, nice first (?) on the remake. Good job.

8. Dragull

Dragull Ancient

Great map, it doesnt play like Gemini (because the original was bigger), but anyway it's a great map.

9. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Yeah, I never saw this coming. I figured that it would be epicly hard. This looks a little smaller but I think it would be pretty hard to make it up to scale. Oh yeah, no sliding doors? JK. This is pretty cool and Ima download it to check it out more. I tip my hat to you for choosing this of all maps to remake. Looks pretty close, I do think you could have added more detail to the back, outside.

10. Eggsish

Eggsish Ancient

I have yet to try this but as soon as I can get my Xbox up and running again I'm downloading this. I can't believe someone acctually made a remake of Gemini.
    I can only imagine how hard it would be to make it the same size and all that stuff but it looks darn great.

11. Rusty Keyes

Rusty Keyes Ancient

You've done a great job of recreating this map, especially the statue and side hallways, but I really do miss being able to surprise people using those sliding doors. Shield doors I think would be a good substitute, and I highly suggest it. People at least wouldn't be able to "check" the other side with grenades then without risking getting too close to the lurking swordsman.

I might also set the grav lift's run time minimum to 1. That makes it respawn immediately.

Using all of the lighting elements to make purple lighting would be good too.

#11 Rusty Keyes, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  12. MacedoniaMafia

MacedoniaMafia Ancient

I have V1 and even that was very nice. I would download this as well but my d/l slots are full and my 360 is rrod'd.

If you plan on updating the map again (and haven't run out of budget/limit), I suggest making the floor around the tree with upside down golf holes so it adds to the organic feel that part had in Halo 2.

13. SwitzaHouse

SwitzaHouse Ancient

I downloaded this and loved, great remake, just u might want to switch the grav lift with a man cannon for a better jump and from the statue you can grenade jump out of the map on top of the walls other then that awsome

14. HaloGoddess

HaloGoddess Ancient

I myself had plans of remaking Gemini.

I like how you even added in the "prophet" statue! hehe I see lots if similarities to the original Gemini in your map. One thing I am curious about though since I don't see any shots of it in your images............do you have the middle room that is behind the "statue"? If you know what room I am talking about. I can't really describe it! XD

15. Eyeless Sid

Eyeless Sid Ancient

Its all done well but the only problem i had was i could easily grenade jump out or brute shot jump out very quickly . I reccomend you interlock the triangle pieces so theres no flat top to jump on and out of the map. Im talking about the pieces behing the tree. Once you interlock that then you will be in the clear. :]

16. Pel

Pel Ancient

Great job bringing a great map back to life! I've always loved Gemini, and this has brought some great memories back to mind. I'll have to fire this up in 6 player FFA Swords to relive some of those better Rumble Pit moments. I love the statue thing you managed to make well, and the Sword tree is a definite plus. The only improvement that could be made is a roof. It's not necessary, but it makes the map look better. You should win the Forgotten Treasures Contest for sure! If you don't, the map that wins better be perfect.

Rating:
    Aesthetics: 5/5
    Gameplay: 4/5
    Overall: 4.5/5

#16 Pel, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  17. Love Slice

Love Slice Ancient

Wow, two great Gemini remakes in one day! The geometry of your map is very accurate to the original, and there's no doubting what this is a remake of (I can't say that about all remakes). However, as a whole, the map could be cleaned up a bit. I'm not sure what it is about it, but if just doesn't seem as clean as it could be. I think it could be the lack of a ceiling. The atmosphere just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure if you have the objects, but a roof would be much appreciated. The two towers are a bit small, but nothing too serious. As someone else mentioned, maybe add some grass to the sword room to add some organic aesthetics.

Good job, this will definitely be a serious contender in the Forgotten Treasures contest.

18. Pluvialis Aquila

I gave this a download, and I thought it was a well done remake. I checked out both recent Gemini remakes and thought this one was better. Grenade jumping out of the map was an issue though, like others mentioned. This is a good solution:
    There are also a few bumps when walking around, but it's difficult to make it perfect in the sky bubble. It might help to try fixing it up a bit in that area though.

The only other small issue I noticed was that the blue light can get in your way when you walk on the bottom structure (your last picture). You could float it between the two obelisks to get it out of the way, or even interlock it inside of the obelisk it's sitting on.

19. MavRen Ra

MavRen Ra Ancient

There are some good advices and suggestions so far and I will keep them in mind.

What I do not consider for possible future changes is the following:

1. adding shielddoors - I am not fond of camping and due to the weapon set on this map (Shotgun and Sword in the first), camping would be more easy with shielddoors.

2. moving the blue light - This was actually a detail I am very proud of. The original statue had something like a crown on its head you could walk into. So, the blue light is the crown (you can walk into).

#19 MavRen Ra, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009