Sandbox Gatekeeper

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Fenix Hulk, May 11, 2009.

1. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

As I have posted before, these changes are planned for v1.1

2. Nosirrom Mij

Nosirrom Mij Ancient

Wow, I thought this map looked good as Prometheus. Gatekeeper looks ten times better. Good job!

3. Canadians360

Canadians360 Ancient

Hey Pel I gotta disagree with you on this one.(or go with soulcrusher which ever way you look at it) The layout on gatekeeper is far less manuverable for vehicles now so the laser would not be needed to take them down as much. The laser would now be used on people more than anything. Also I think he countered the loss of the laser to controll very well. Now you need to controll rockets and sniper since there is only one of each. I would definately agree on all the alterations you have made for v 1.1. Luckily I was able to play a few matches on it at a friends house today and my live conection is now going to be fixed by Thursday so pretty much all good news today.

EDIT: I also like how the sniper is no longer in an actual sniping spot which makes the sniper travel a bit before he has a good spot to shoot effectively. This idea is used in default bungie maps such as, well every one with a snipe when you think about it, anyways point is that your map seems more and more probable of getting into MM every day.

#23 Canadians360, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  4. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

You're pretty good at making maps, I've played a few of the evolutions of this, from tribal war through prometheus, and your map Red Cell was aesthetically gorgeous.

I have a piece advice for you!

have some patience man!

dont post it until your done testing!

youve gone through multiple multiple multiple revisions and remakes of your map,
    and that shows that you are dedicated to making it 100% awesome but jeez man,
    just do the testing and all that on your own and then post the final 100% perfect version.

it saves you time, and it also gets you more downloads in the end.

5. Awkward Silence

Awkward Silence Ancient

This is really astounding, even from just the pictures. Great improvements from Prometheus, and the map just takes my breath away. First off, your post is beautiful, and it really makes your map stand out from the thousands of other Sandbox maps out there. Also, the map itself looks really creative, and it's clear you put a lot of effort into it, especially since this is technically a v2.

With that in mind, I'd like to congratulate you for taking criticism and actually going back to re-work the map. That's really what a true forger would do. That's also what Forge Hub is really meant for, underneath all of the spam and bullshit that unfortunately goes on around here. So, you're basically an upstanding member of the community already. Which is great.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I think the map looks amazing, and I can't wait to check it out for myself. The absolute earliest I can get a game on this is probably Thursday, but I don't know for sure. I will do my best to get back as soon as possible. Great job so far.

6. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

a lot of testing has been done before it was posted, but lets face it....there will always be something that you will over look.

7. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

One thing a good map maker knows, and that is "Your map is never FINISHED." Your always working on it and updating it with plenty of testing. With that said...

(1.) I have tried testing maps in the Testers Guild or w/e, that was a joke. No one even showed up, and the peps who said they would, never even replied back in the forum.

(2.) I thought this map was finished and I did test it before posting, but then I found some things wrong with it, if you're going to critisize me for putting a v1.1 up, then I guess you expect everyone at FH to be professional bungie approved map makers.

(3.) Gatekeeper is a different map than Prometheus, Like Lockout from Blackout. Tribal War is a completely different map and has nothing to do with this.

(4.) I also get alot of traffic from FH so I can get alot of people to join up and get interested, which gives me lots of more opinions than a few I would test with.

(5.) I don't care about downloads, that's for noobs. Making the map better is what counts, not popularity.

#27 Fenix Hulk, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. Gamefreak1792

Gamefreak1792 Ancient

Damn! the map looks awsome and the post is incredible to. You must really know your stuff when it comes to computers and that stuff. As for the map it looks great, the merging is smooth, gameplay wise it looks great, you should submit this to atlas on bungie this could probably make it into matchmaking easy. Definitly a 5/5

9. regulargonzales

regulargonzales Ancient

Wow this one looks just as great as Prometheus. Of course they're very similar but I expect they play differently. Great work again, Soulcrusher. You're an excellent forger!

10. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Wow! this is a work of art. You had me with prometheus but ..
    oh i just jizzed in my pants.
    This map could be described as epic win sauce. I see no problems with it. I had suggested prometheus to be featured but this takes the cake. You see what you did? you're gonna make me suggest ANOTHER map to be featured. Excellent job man. I Really hope to see more from you in the future.

11. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Presentation

I played this map with you guys last night. Overall, I have mixed feelings about the map. First of all, your posting technique and time spent in photoshop paid off. This and Prometheus are among the top 5 or so best looking map posts ever posted here. Very creative. I do feel like the post may be overshadowing the map a bit though. We played games of CTF and Assault. CTF was definitely the strong point. The main bases felt unnatural to climb and the top section is small and unprotected. This is not a problem for CTF because you can just jump up there and jump down with the flag, but on Assault it is an awkward spot for bomb planting and disarming. the vehicle spawns were a little off, for me, as well. The ghost spawns in the middle of a slanted ramp leading into the pyramid. The warthog feels cramped in the spot it is, although I do like the shadow that it creates in the room below. It seems like it should maybe face the other direction, because right now you spawn directly next to the shotgun door and have to jump over and around in a very tight area to drive.

The Pyramid is the highlight of the map, imo. The bottom and the middle levels are both sweet, but the main bases on both sides were difficult to maneuver through and could use some aesthetic touches.

With your map presentation skills you are going to have to work extra hard to create a map that lives up to the post. This one comes close.

12. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

1.) I'm a map designer, and I like to display my skills. It only overshadows the map if you don't look at the screenshots...

2.) This was fixed after playing yesterday, ver 1.1 has already been posted.

3.) The ghost is actually facing away from the pyramid and if I put it on the ground itself, it will create to much clutter in that area. Sorry.

4.) The hogs are facing the way they should, towards the rocket spawn and the most trafficed part of the map. It would be retarded for everyone to do a circle around the base at the start of every game.

5.) Can you be more specific...?

6.) Like I said, I'm a professional web designer, not a professional map designer. The map is well worth my photshop skills for being just a gamer.

13. Optic

Optic Ancient

I already had prometheus and I at first thought somone had stolen the map and reposted it :p

This is significantly better than your original though, and that's saying something. Great stuff.

14. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

New gameplay video added. It's a short film of King of the Hill captured through Blackprinze's Eyes. Check it out and witness the chaos.

[​IMG]

15. RunTime83

RunTime83 Ancient

Nice vid and great game! I think King is quickly becoming my favorite gametype and this map was born for KoTH.

16. luckeas

luckeas Ancient

Damn fine map, it is hard to find maps that truly have great gameplay and aethestics like this does. I know most people are really and I mean really into only BR starts, but here is a map that would play just as well without them. Hell of a map, when I get on today I'm gana take a run-through of weapon/equipment placement.

I still wish the grav lifts on the side of the base worked better, and was on both sides. Even when I hit them right it was real iffy if I was gana make it up to the top or not. What would happen if they were a little lower?

17. Fenix Hulk

Fenix Hulk Ancient

I can try lowering them, just don't know if they will shoot you up the whole way or not.

18. Nosirrom Mij

Nosirrom Mij Ancient

Hey, I just watched myself get my ass handed to me a couple of times. Good times. lol

Everyone generally liked king of the hill the best, it was mad fun, but my favorite was definitely Neutral Assault.

#38 Nosirrom Mij, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  19. luckeas

luckeas Ancient

Hey I just sent you and updated version of Gatekeeper, and a pair of messages.

20. FinalEndeavor

FinalEndeavor Ancient

I never had any issues with those gravlifts when i played. i usually would just jump from the under it kinda to the side and it would give me enough forward momentum to make it every time