Foundry Designer

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by PureCallum, May 10, 2008.

1. xX††Eclipz††Xx

i dont know its really like i dont like it that much its not the precsise i will use it only to see how much space i have as far as if a simple map but its not bad either.

2. Shatakai

Shatakai Ancient

omg, this is like the best idea ever. i was worried if my next map would use too many objects, but since i used that, i know its possible! you rock!

3. skaterdude770

skaterdude770 Ancient

This thing is great! It could use better graphics though.

4. Fly

Fly Ancient

How do you make this an html to post on FH?

5. PureCallum

PureCallum Ancient

6. bluepenguin23

bluepenguin23 Ancient

U R The Best Before This I Had 2 Write On Paper!!!!!

7. Phantom Bowser

Phantom Bowser Ancient

That realy helps, except for you cant merge items and most good maps involve merging, but other wise this was deffinatly worth it!

[​IMG]

8. Supreme321

Supreme321 Ancient

Where all moving onto the future, ever post is to the future, every update, and every new video game that come out.

9. Lord Beeler

Lord Beeler Ancient

Very nice, and very helpful, thank you.

10. philthyphillup

philthyphillup Ancient

do you think sometime in the future you would be able to add a save to it? so people can work o it more than just i time? i understand i can take a screen shot, but that wont let me work on it later. and do you think you will ever add weapons?

11. Supreme321

Supreme321 Ancient

Yay that would be a great adittion - you need sthe asencials first before you can make everything advanced map, try this when you make this map next time.

12. TyRant Hacker

TyRant Hacker Ancient

how about weopen placement and possibly spawn points.

13. Tex

Tex Ancient

Foundry designer is cool and all, but i have personally found it much eazier to just (without interlocking/geo-merging) set up a base idea in foundry. I mean, you just throw togethor your boxes/walls, and wala! you have your map =)

just need to clean it up ofcourse with interlocking/mergin

14. kayaman132

kayaman132 Ancient

I don't know what you guys are talking about. You can interlock and geolock.

15. Tex

Tex Ancient

were you speaking to me kaya?

16. philthyphillup

philthyphillup Ancient

and if your not at a computer, what i do is just use some graph paper. its pretty simple and you can draw what you want.

17. InferiorPigeon

InferiorPigeon Ancient

i think i found a bug..
    hey not sure if you meant this to happen
    but if your making your map on this, like you place a few items, then go to the "delete" tool, and click where you drag the spawn points out, then it resets the budget without deleting your objects you already placed
    sorry if that didnt make sense it was hard to word it
    hahaha

18. PureCallum

PureCallum Ancient

so it does. It also happens when you delete the spawn points. I'll fix it and upload the repaired version.

19. charliezulublue

charliezulublue Ancient

Same here

20. Realistic

Realistic Ancient

Dear PureCallum,

Since you asked for ideas to make it better, I'll toss my two cents in. First off, this is a great idea, but its missing a few important things, and there are a few other things that would make it far easier to use.

1.) Double box(/Double box, open), standing. I wanted to make a map with standing-upright double boxes everywhere, and its impossible to do that with the double boxes provided. Preferably it would show up on its layer and the layer above it, but if the tech limitations prevent that, thats understandable.
    2.) Double wall, upright. Lots of places on the maps i make i stand a double wall upright to make a tall barrier. Between two double boxes for example, It would take two normal walls to do, or one double. I'd choose the double in foundry, but I can't here because there isn't a "double wall, upright" Similar to the box, it would appear on its current level and the one above it, if possible.
    3. Barriers, Dumpsters, and Crates. These objects can make up important sections of cover, and some areas look downright blank without them. Personally, I'd make them a solid color, because of their smaller size.. say, crates are solid green (transparent green at higher levels) barriers are red, and dumpsters are blue.

With those objects, all thats left is some interface quirks and shortcuts:
    1.) Change the buttons (rotate, delete, move, etc) so that clicking anywhere in a square around it also triggers it. One of the things I noticed was going up to click the X to delete, for instance, I'd click right under it and miss it, start to move back only to see i missed the button. It isn't a huge deal, but it feels a bit off having to click directly on the shape instead of "on or right around" the shape.
    2.) Have a button for duplicating. Making a bunch of walls at an angle other than the starting point means you need to make 6 walls, then rotate each one. with a duplication tool you could make one wall, rotate it as you see fit, then use it to make 6 more walls at that angle.
    3.) another way to solve the "dropping many objects" thing would be to have a "make another of this object" key... Take the map editor in Super Smash Bros Brawl for instance... you can place one object, or you can press a different button, and instead it drops a copy of the held object, letting you place more. Especially useful tool.
    4.) add a "Raise/lower this object one level" tool. I've placed so many objects only to realise i wanted them one level up... and my only option is to delete them all and replace them. with this tool, I can skim over and raise all the objects one level quickly and easily. Just don't make the tool take you up a level with the object, let it raise the object a level while keeping you on the same one.

Phew! that was a bit of a mouthful, but I hope it helped. Those additions would make the program far easier to use, and more versatile too. I love it as is, but it feels limited. These expansions should make it possible to represent nearly every map with your program, which would be excellent.

Cheers,
    Realistic

#60 Realistic, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008