ForgeWorld Inflation?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by TheClubhouse, Aug 9, 2010.

1. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

And in Halo 3 we where using the most expensive objects for everything most of the time. In reach we can use cheap stuff for aesthetics and details or even part of the map.

Halo 3 remake of Lockout = 150% of budget and objects (using glitches)

Halo Reach remake of Lockout = 45% of budget and at least less than half objects

2. TheGreatHibiki

TheGreatHibiki Ancient

... One of my maps calls for 68 huge walls...

But yeah I like that a good portion of my maps need those BIG (and as you said cheap)walls to build walls, flat areas and the like.

3. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

I lold so hard at this.

and at devil, this is discushunzzz. we are talking about the budget, and letting people know the cake isn't a lie, but it is low fat.

4. SniperViper76

SniperViper76 Forerunner

lol combo^
    Alright this thread made me realize how ****ed this is.
    I wont be able to build my "Tour de world" racetrack any more :/
    Step 2:
    REBEL!!!!

5. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

yes you will, im positive you will be able to. the basic walls and boxes, even the giant walls, only cost like 10

#45 Wood Wonk, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

The giant walls only cost 10? Wowz0r

7. ShugHeed

ShugHeed Forerunner

I understand that it is frustrating but we still haven't played the game, or forge it's self we just need to wait until the retail game is released and we might be surprised by what we could build with 10000$ budget. we made some seriously sick maps with Halo 3's forge mode with almost less than 3/4 of the Forge World budget. just take into consideration that we are getting pre-built buildings giving to us. we should be grateful!

8. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

Pre-built buildings... Who's going to use those? Many people who lack creativity, that's who.

9. patrickcanttype

patrickcanttype Forerunner

Or people trying to quickly build a tower, building, or extension of a building quickly or in a small place to avoid using blocks to build it.

10. ShugHeed

ShugHeed Forerunner

Yeah totally! It would help new people who struggle making two storied buildings,and it would also help people to learn how to use aesthetics in they're work.

#50 ShugHeed, Aug 10, 2010
  11. Paranoia UK

Paranoia UK Ancient

Im pretty sure the prices of the objects are relative to the amount of polygons used to make them, previously a wedge small was the same cost as a Double Block, this did not make sense

12. SniperViper76

SniperViper76 Forerunner

I prefer it that way^
    now we dunt have shet

13. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

Or people who want to use it because it's exactly what they need. Creativity is and always has been overrated as ****. It's been my problem with forge hub for so long. Creating one piece of geometry or an "aesthetic" is not being creative. Creating a solid map design that improves upon designs of the passed and plays well in Reach is what counts. The whole circle jerk over creativity is what ruined certain eras of forging and certain maps. Once one thing is considered creative everyone just steals it so if a prebuilt tower works perfectly for you why not use it. /rant

The only reason I wouldn't wanna use a prebuilt piece is that considering regular pieces are 10 and the special built ones are 150 I can likely do something cheaper that serves the same purpose.

#53 chrstphrbrnnn, Aug 10, 2010
  14. ShugHeed

ShugHeed Forerunner

Are you saying that ForgeWorlds new budget system is easier or harder than Halo 3's? Because i didn't understand that post.

15. pinohkio

pinohkio Ancient

I think he was just pointing out how the new system makes much more sense then the old system.

16. ShugHeed

ShugHeed Forerunner

Yeah, i totally agree with you, its not about the looks but about the gameplay and how the map handles with balanced weapons and aesthetics, if there is a poorly placed walkway its going to disrupt your gameplay, so it'll all fall apart.

17. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

the way they designed stuff makes it so the stuff that has a big toll on lag costs a lot, and the stuff that doesnt is cheap. also, this does give us the ability to make our maps twice as large, with the bigger pieces, specialized stuff, etc.
    this reminds me of a avalanche map me and my buddy built. it was all around using cool forerunner architecture, making cool towers, and using glass. avalanche was definitely the most underrated map. it was fun to build on, and it had better pieces to build with. people never took advantage of competitive avalanche forerunner maps. floating off the cliff or in that big mancannon area could make some sexy maps.

18. TheGreatHibiki

TheGreatHibiki Ancient

Agreed, about 30 of my 80 or so maps are on Avalanche. Hibilanche (Avalanche Heavy Hibiki styled) Air Wars, Dropships 009, Gundam 0079, Yamato Vs Enterprise I & II. Other than stupidly huge infection maps (Cat and Mouse exempted) and Nifty ship maps Avalanche's large vehicle heavy feel was lost to most maps. Though a few in the cavern were pretty good. Lotta work though. ... i got Sidetracked.

Anyway Forge World gives the forgers like me, who like big open maps, lots of materials with nifty and odd ways of using them the needed freedom, those who like close quarters maps probably will close off areas and build up interesting renditions of old maps and the like. Those who use prebuild buildings the most, the possible close quarter map builders, will suffer the inflation more than people like me are more interested in building large scale maps with simple peices. The down side is the high cost of vehicles that will be needed for such large maps for better game play of those large maps. Spend about a tenth of your overall workable budget on vehicles.

There is a plus and minus to all maps, and probably the budget will catch all of us off guard (unless someone figures out the new budget glitch) when we least expect it to, I'm at the point I do not care. I just want to get in and get my hands dirty building new maps and finding new ways abusing the forge system. item price and unit inflation be damned.

19. iSkiill

iSkiill Forerunner

Hemorrage isn't a very object filled map yet they only have $6000 budget left. If you were making a complicated map filled with alot of objects the budget would go down fairly quick.

Also, the group object limit seems a bit low. For example, if you were making a map that required alot of the same type of objects (Lets say building blocks) then you only have 100 to put down. On Sandbox, you had 40 double blocks, 40 double walls, 30 block huges, 40 single blocks, 40 single walls and so on... Altogether you had 150+ blocks and walls you could use.

20. CAPNxXxCANT

CAPNxXxCANT Forerunner

Does anybody know if there is an overall object limit? I know different sections have their limits, but other than that is only the budget holding you back or is there only so many objects you can have? Most maps i make run out of objects before i run out of budget