Forger's Handbook

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Entropy NZ, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Entropy NZ

Entropy NZ Ancient

Hey all,

I've see a lot of new map posts comming up lately that just don't meet the standard by a tiny fraction.

I've thought about this, and one of the ways I think this could be changed is if we created a thread specifically about getting the best out of your much loved maps.

There are a LOT of amazing forgers on here, and each and every map that they produce is clean, and well designed. Each forger has his or her personal requirements that need to be satasfied before they release a map, and this is what gives each forger's map a distinct feeling.

I know that I havn't been a member of the site for long, but there are plenty of people who have, and each of them is capable of contributing somthing to the thread, if they so please.

So in here, please add anything that you can think of to make a map reach it's fullest potential, whether it be in the design, the forging or the map's first post, if it can improve a map, then post it here.

Personally, I find that my maps are most improved by actually listening to what people are saying about them. Invite friends to join after you finish a stage of the map, see what they think. Try working with a partner if you can, my first forge hub map was done with Ellipsis NZ, who's a very good friend of mine. I have my strengths and he has his, I'm much better at designing the maps, but he's a better forger than I am, so we balence out. You can also bounce ideas off each other, if somthing doesn't work, then it can be fixed without much fuss.

Also, take into account what people say in your thread. keep in mind that these are the people who'll be playing your map, so what they say should be listened to. This is very telling if the same thing keeps popping up in different posts, such as that you need more cover, or that it's a bit sloppy and you need to tidy it up, then you know that these things stand out, so it can be fixed for a v2 or a v1.1, depending on the number of changes made.

I have a few more, but I'm sure that other people will say them.

Anything that helps at all is welcome here!

LOL zombie likes this.
  2. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

Its a nice little guide.

I think this is great instructions to help a map be the best it can be. Great job I think this could help a lot of people.

3. Wakko45

Wakko45 Ancient

Some advice:

You know that little crack in your floor? It doesn't really bother you and it only acts a little funny when you walk over it. Well all of your spots like this that have little bumps, cracks, etc... should be fixed. Don't be like "well I already did that part once, I don't want to do it again". I do parts sometimes over 10 times just to get it perfect, it's little things like not being thrown half a foot in the air when you walk over a certain part that people will like. Sure design and the actual ability people like too but smooth gameplay is essential.

4. Entropy NZ

Entropy NZ Ancient

Posting your Map

Your map post is what is going to get your map it's downloads.

Despite this, many people post a simple "This is a col map tht tuk me 4eva 2 mke! Pl0x dnlod!!!1!!!9!" post. No pictures, no writen articulation of any kind. Would you download this map? I think not.

First impressions are very important, and your post is the first time most people will see your map. Therefore we're going to attempt to achieve three things when creating a map post. Making it look Professional, Ensuring that you come across as articulate, and Ensuring that your map screenshots are top notch.

The first can be achieved in a number of ways. The first is to use BBcode to change format of the post. Simple things such as making titles and subtitles bold and underlined with the
    Code:
     [b][/b and [u] [/u  (remember to close the brackets, the code tags aren't working properly...
    tags, which can be placed in through ctrl+B and ctrl+u hotkeys.

Don't put the whole post in yellow italics, nobody can read it. Keep the colour black for the body of the text, and maybe change the colour of the titles.

Putting things in bullet points is easy too. Just use this:
    Code:
     [LIST] 
    [*]1st point
    [*]2nd point
    [*]3rd point
    [/list (Again, remember to close the brackets) 

BBcode has many many diffferent options, and it takes all of 10 seconds to add a new one in (I administrate a few forums, so I'm doing this a lot.) You can add strikethroughs, change the size, font, colour and many other things, just at the touch of a few buttons, or by typing in it's tags, so use it.

I can't stress enough how important it is to sound articulate in your writing when typing up a post. Check your post for the following things, and fix them:

• 1337 (leet) Speak
    • Words shortened with numbers (2morro, 4ever etc)
    • Words shortened by removing vowels (thx, dwnload etc)
    • Check that everything has capital letters that needs it, including the I's

There are a number of other things that you'll need to check as well, one of which is spelling. The easies and quickest way to fix this is to write the post up in Microsoft Word or equivilent, and fix the spelling there, then to Copy-Paste to the forum post.

Read over your post before you post it. A lot of posts don't actually make much sense in parts, because the person writing wasn't paying attention at the time.

Your Screenshots are what really sell your map. The majority of people will not download a map before rating it. This means that the only view they have of the map is the one that you give them. So make it look good. Take time on your screenshots, and make sure that you include the following:
    • An Overview Screenshots that shows the layout of the Map. Take several if need be.
    • Screenshots of intresting features in the map. If it's not jawdroppingly awsome, then be sure to shoot it from an angle that shows off the map too.
    • Screenshot of the power weapon/weapons on the map at an angle that shows their location.

After you have these in, then you can start worrying about having Action Shots and other screenshots, but get the basics in first.

Your post is your audiance's window into the map and it's creator. Make sure it's spotless and has a good view, and the positive comments will be rolling in.

#4 Entropy NZ, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. evan12075

evan12075 Ancient

Ok, i like what you have so far and its good to hear this from a newer member.

but right off the bat i want to point this part out

This can benefit some people, but it can be very wrong for some people. it's good for those type of people who can't finish a map once they start or if they run out of an idea or something. but personally, I, and im sure other people, prefer to forge alone. when i forge alone and i can take my idea to the full extent, and exactly how i imagined it. sure im not going to have much checks and balances while forging alone than with a partner, but thats why i test my maps. if there's something that's not right or a certain player who plays different than me finds that my map is lacking something, i take their info, or what they say, and i fix it, and test it with them again. kinda like how you said you should show people what your working on in mid-late stages of forging your map.

Secondly, this kind of adds on to what Wakko said. take care in what your forging. if you really want to make a good map, make it great. if you want to get the best out of your map, make sure every object is placed perfectly, ever interlock is just right, and every geomerge is straight. Take care in how and where you place in object, weapon, or piece of equipment. think about how much that will effect gameplay after placing each object. that being said, also take care in your spawns. also something with spawns is respawn zones. most forgers dont know how to use these and it can really destroy a good map. If you dont know how to use respawn zones, do a little research. i believe there is something about spawns in forging 101.

Always, Always, Always test your map before publishing it. their could be some major flaw you never realized in your map. this is where the checks and balances come in also where people tell you what can be fixed or what can make it better. also a great time to find any objects set on no, any extra goals you forgot to delete, any weapon balancing problems, and any spawn problems. test thoroughly, take it seriously, and test many, many, MANY times.

6. LOL zombie

LOL zombie Ancient

Very well written, and very good points, + rep for you good sir, you definitely deserve it.

7. Entropy NZ

Entropy NZ Ancient

Designing a Map

Map Design, at least for me, can be the most challenging part of creating a great map.

Some times, I'll start on a map, and the design will sort itself out (Omicron was one of these, see my sig.). Everything just seems to fit into place, and it ends up being a pretty good map. However, a lot of people, and I'm currently experiencing this myself, get a sort of "Forger's Block" when thinking of ideas for new maps.

Sometimes you can think on it for weeks, and nothing will come to you, somtimes, it'll take just a moment.

Creating an origonal and well thought out map is an awful lot easier than everyone thinks. The following steps are just a basis of how you can do this, I'm not giving any ideas here.

Firstly, think of what you want your map to be. What does it center around? Is is an MLG-Forge style map, like Onslaught or Amp? Is is a straight FFA slayer map? Set up for Team based games? Symetrical? Asymetrical? Would it use one sided team games?

Thinking of what you want your map to be is usually not too difficult. If you prefer playing Team Slayers, then base the map around that. Hardcore 1v1 fan? Make it small and base it around that. work it around your playstyle, that way you can get a much better understanding on what the map needs.

Secondly, you need a hook to the map. What will make your map different than all of the others? Is it the layout? Are you doing somthing new and inovative, creating somthing that nobodie's seen before? It could be as simple as a well designed centerpiece or as complex as creating the entire map around a theme (eg. Distortion). You just need somthing that's going to make your map different than the others.

After you have the concepts of the map down, then it's time to start the design. Forgehub has an amazing program in Foundry Designer. It's brilliant. This program will be unbelievably useful when doing plans of your map. What foundry designer IS is an engine that lets you create map concepts easily and quickly. What it ISN'T is forge. You're not going to be able to do everythig that you can there, so don't expect it.

Your map plan should be both good looking, prefrably fitting in well with your map's "hook", and pratical. Ensure that your map has ample room for combat, that's what it's there for afterall.

Do only the skeleton of your map in foundry designer, don't bother with interlocking, unless it's a feature of the map, and don't worry about getting everything perfect, it's only a refrence, not a master plan.

After you've got a map concept up, then load up a canvas and start to build a draft of the map. Don't interlock unless you need to, just keep it quick and simple, with the basic skeleton planned out.

After finishing this, have a run around, what does the map feel like? How would it play? What can be changed or improved? Is that dirty great crane getting in the way? (It's ruined a few of my concepts, so be sure to check for that...)

If you think somthing can be fixed or made better, then fix it and make it better! It's your map, there's no reason for you to do a half arse job of it, then look back later and say "Ooh, I wish I'd put that platform there, it would have played so much better.". Fix it now, and don't start on the final until you're happy with the concept.

From now on I'll be adding a few tips every few days, as my school work allows it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

8. redearth

redearth Ancient

This is not a very good tip. Working with partners depends on who your talking to. I really can't work well with any partners I know. Don't ask me why I don't use forgehub users as partners, I have personal reasons. So I work far faster and better alone, in everything. Give me a two page report, and force a partner on me, we work to the deadline. Give me the same report in an alternate dimension where everything is the same except the rule is work alone, I'll finish in 1 or 2 days. My point is having a partner depends on what your talking about.

9. browniekillyou

browniekillyou Ancient
    Banned

good guide i personaly don't need it but some noobs might

10. Entropy NZ

Entropy NZ Ancient

Not really, I work much much better in a group than I do by myself.

It depends on the person. I find working with a partner in forge allows me to concentrate more with what i'm doing, while knowing that a good job is being done elsewhere.

I should add to that though, working with a parntner rarly works if you don't know the person. You have to know they well enough to trust that they're doing a good job, so that you don't have to go an check on them every few mins.

I'll also point out that many of the top maps have been done in pairs. Onslaught and Amplified, the two maps selected by MLG have both been done with a partner. As have many of the featured maps. Most maps at the very lest mention people who helped out.

Just because a tip isn't right for you, it doesn't mean that it's not a good one. Be more open minded and think before posting in absolutes please. (If you'd said it wasn't good FOR YOU, then I wouldn't have a problem.

#10 Entropy NZ, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  11. JJ3672

JJ3672 Ancient

I sense great irony here.

Some tips and words of wisdom for professional maps:

1. All maps have small cracks and/or imperfections. Your goal is to make them unnoticable to all but yourself.

2. Configure your map for as many gametypes as possible.

3. Think about balance when placing weapons and respawns. If a game gets too one-sided, players will blame the map rather than their [lack of] skill. Concentrate especially on eliminating camping, spawn-killing, and power weapon dominance.