Forgehub Contest Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Max Extra, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic Senior Member

Hello all, this thread is for Forgehub contest feedback and suggestions as the title would suggest. We here at Forgehub want to provide content and events that you all in the community want to participate in and enjoy. The best way to know what you want is for you all to let us know! Please keep discussion on topic and constructive. To be clear constructive does not mean only positive, simply that it adds to the topic and debate. While it is understandable for some to be angry with the results of a contest, this thread will not be used as a venting outlet. Hopefully we can, together, create a better experience moving forward.

Sethiroth likes this.
  2. MrDeliciousman9

MrDeliciousman9 Legendary

I feel that something that would help future contests would be the judges listing their preferences in game design and art tastes. So that people that can build to the judges tastes. This may feel a little dirty but it also allows others to see what each judge is personally looking for. For example, I personally prefer asymmetrical maps that attempt to do something different. Also, since I focus on art and atmosphere I would mark down maps that are typical in art including those that look like other halo maps. The pieces are made to make halo themed maps. so I prefer those maps that do interesting themes especially if it is a forger's own design. In my opinion maps that are good but follow traditional map design are boring. the best maps in Halo's past are the one that are different and unique. Most maps today follow strict guidelines that start to feel very similar. I'd rather play on a unique map with some flaws then a perfect map that strictly follows templates.

3. Sins of Truth

Sins of Truth Heroic

Honesty I think we can make our contests more creative, interactive and fun by adding challenges to them. For example, maybe one time we let the community know that the map must contain a lot of orange, must not be built using certain block pieces, or perhaps must be built on a chosen canvas ect. Just fun little additional challenges to push the creative minds of our forgers.

These challenges don't have to be mandatory either, they could simply be there for bonus points when it comes to judging. I understand that some people would rather just go their own way so forcing it onto players would most likely anger some of the community. Thus making challenges that are optional for those who want to tackle them.

Much like forge itself, I believe our Forgers have progressed an immense amount since the release of Halo 5. Myself and fellow friends know all the tricks and tips to creating a map like it's the back of our hand. Adding challenges to map building could help get those creative juices flowing in even the most experienced of forgers, as well as pose a fun, but challenging map experience to them.

Not only this, but it will show what our community is capable of within the parameters of forge, and help them shine amongst their own creative and innovative ideas.

4. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

There have been challenges like this back in the day. There was a contest where only one object could be used. There was one where you couldn't use over a certain amount of budget. There was also one I believe where you could only use one category of objects. I think that rather than having it be something for bonus points for a contest in the style they have been will only create problems. I think having a contest focused around it would be better.

Sins of Truth likes this.
  5. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

This would be nice but it isn't very difficult to figure out what judges like if you examine their work and things they have liked. Takes about 5 minutes. I think variety is important in the selection process but not at the sake of quality. That is why in the original thread for this I suggested lulls between certain rounds to allow forgers who have made it that far to improve issues that might just be polish or a simple spawn or layout fix. This way maps that are potentially better than what is just a polished map but nothing special a chance at overcoming this issue. It will also make people more interested in forging maps for contests because feedback is scarce. One of the things that got me forging was a contest at the mlg forum that did this. I think it was the budget contest. I think it would help people feel better at how long the contest is taking because there is more interaction during the judging process.

Max Extra likes this.