Forge TIPS 'n' TRICKS

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Rolfero, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Em0srawk

Em0srawk Forerunner

Woh crap, 3 of my tips in this thread ^-^ <--- Seriously happy face. This is an awsome thread and when (or if) Reach forging 101 comes out this totally belongs there!

2. Chan

Chan Forerunner

Nevermind it doesn't work.

3. SirPalesAlot

SirPalesAlot Forerunner

Here are some pictures of what I was describing with the shield door. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And at another angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also a demonstration map on my file share that you may download to test out what I am showing. Just load it up in forge and check it out. It hasn't been tested with host differences taken into account so beware if you go in with a party...the teleporters will act up for those not host, and you may not even make the jump to begin with. lol

The file can be found here. Download

4. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Wait, seriously?! That seems rather hard to believe... video?

5. Em0srawk

Em0srawk Forerunner

It's not hard to believe, I've done it 2 times in a row however whenever I actually try to do it I fail.

It's not hard to believe, I've done it 2 times in a row however whenever I actually try to do it I fail.

6. FlamingArmadillo

FlamingArmadillo Forerunner

Yeah, I've done it randomly twice, not knowing what im doing. Plus if you hit it, you can jump onto those mini-lifts.

7. Norbo11

Norbo11 Forerunner

I really think this should be stickied, it went down to the fourth page, and its such a good thread.

8. Rolfero

Rolfero Ancient

I can confirm this, I've did it too after it got submitted in this thread.
    I also added it to the list :D
    Also, BUMPAN' fourth page.
    This should be stickied, really. For the sake of everyone.
    <3 love

9. FlamingArmadillo

FlamingArmadillo Forerunner

Yeah, keep this thread alive

10. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

I dunno if differnt areas of the water are better or something but i got the grid to 1.4 and wasn't killing me

11. The Trivial Prodigy

Not really a tip, but you should try to find out how much larger (in terms of z coordinates, both standing and crouch heights) Elites are than Spartans. The only reason I bring this up is so that people can make maps that accomodate both species; I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of tired of playing maps as an Elite (preferred species) and then discovering that the doors are too short to walk through. That way, people can adjust their maps accordingly.

12. LRMAN0989

LRMAN0989 Forerunner

Lots of people probably already know this (a guy posted a map with this), but the min/max tech from Halo 3 is still here, and easy to do with landmines ;) To make a button work using a landmine so another landmine spawns somewheres else (hit the button just as someone is about to walk over where it spawns?), you gotta first make sure that you have both landmines spawned. Set the one that will spawn to 180 spawn time and place at start to false. The one that you use to spawn the other one must have never as a spawn time. Then, go to advanced options on one of them and set minimum to one below the number of landmines place and maximum is at how many is placed.

Now, as mentioned in the main post on how to make moveable items stay in place and the fact that you can phase items into them, put both landmines to fixed and place them where you want them.

For the one that activates the other, put it somewhere with the blinking red part facing towards the side of the wall that the person pushes the button from. Phase a wall into it to the point where just the blinking part is sticking out. Phase a shield door slightly into it so it looked like the wall is a TV when it loses connection (it looks static-y). Now, start new round. Hit the button and the other landmine will spawn!

13. Awesomesaucemz

Awesomesaucemz Forerunner

I have a crusher based trap idea for vertical traps. Have any hallway or walkway and put one loose movable object (level with the floor of the walkway/hallway) that blends in with the other structures being used to make the walkway/hallway floor (see if you can do it with a regular block somehow, you never know), and then have two little prongs of some object phased into the objects on the sides of the block directly below the block so that the movable object has support and won't move until the intended situation. Then place an anti gravity thing or man cannon under it pointing straight up at the block and make it spawn 2 seconds after the map is loaded, so as to do the basic man cannon trick but vertically. It will also be more likely to happen as since it is on the ground, people will probably walk over it at some point as opposed to touching a random box with a man cannon behind it. You could make a layer of blocks underneath the walkway to hide the man cannon, and you could also try messing with the item respawn timers to make it so that it respawns after its been tripped like 30 seconds later.

#53 Awesomesaucemz, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  14. General LiWar

General LiWar Forerunner

I have a tip for making a miniature weapon vendor in Reach
    Bungie.net : Halo: Reach Forum : Forge Mode Weapon Vendor

Create a box with a small opening on top for grenade entry and a small opening on the bottom for the weapon to fall through
    [​IMG][/img]

Inside this box add a fusion coil in the "fixed" position (I set this to respawn in 1 second so it will pretty much always be there, but will disappear long enough to drop the weapon)

On top of the fusion coil add your desired weapon in "normal" position
    [​IMG]

That's it, you're finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#54 General LiWar, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  15. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

That is really funny and pretty clever. The box looks fairly small, can players not grab the weapon if they stand right in front of it? I haven't ever tested this in Reach but I know in all previous Halos, you just need to be close enough to the weapon to grab it - it wouldn't matter if a solid object stood between you and the gun. Way back in CE I used that to snag the rockets without going up on that dangerous catwalk.

16. killllllll11488

killllllll11488 Ancient

Another thing you can do is make a respawn point spawn at start no and change the respawn time to whenever you want. There you have it a time delay respawn point. It's not really a game changer but it could help with puzzle maps or something.

#56 killllllll11488, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  17. Mista Skittles

Mista Skittles Ancient

Thanks for the thread :)

About that Vending machine idea. It would be cool to see grenades as currency and multiple vending machines for different weapons. To advertise the type of weapon you could forge it into the glass a bit.

Another idea that I have been using
    (sorry if it's been posted)
    :

If you merge a fixed explosive (to where it is completely covered/submerged) into an object (I use Wall Colosseum for a floor), Even though it isn't showing, if it blows up it can damage you.

- Land Mines work just the same, only they blow up when you step over them.

- Explosions in merged object also will trigger other explosives that are merged nearby (So you can have an entire room with hidden explosives). You can make a self triggered mine field with this or a more dramatic explosion in assault (I used this one, very cool).

- Nothing like shooting, grenades, or anything outside the object will affect the explosives.

- Only an explosive that is sticking partially out of the object will trigger the others inside the object.

I'd really like to see some zombie maps incorporating the self triggered mine field. Anyways, I thought it was a very useful and neat trick.

Go wild

#57 Mista Skittles, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  18. Rolfero

Rolfero Ancient

There we go, updated the main post. We are now up to 19 total tips and tricks. :)
    SOON WE'LL REACH OUR GOAL OF 20
    THEN OUR GOAL WILL BE 30
    THEN 40
    THEN 50

I support World Domination by Bungie.

19. ares23

ares23 Forerunner

cool guide i can definitely use this

20. General LiWar

General LiWar Forerunner

I thought of that tried to grab the rockets (just barely fit inside in the box) and the flat 1x1 block seems to be just thick enough to block grabbing it.

I also did a slightly modified version. I added a one way shield and raised it up so you can walk under it. This could be a cool thing to have at the entrance to a base
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#60 General LiWar, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.