Fool's Highway

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Ray Benefield, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Are you glad AZN FTW is back?

1. W00T!!! THE LEGEND IS BACK!!!

60.3%
  2. Damn... his arrogant, egotistical self is back...

12.3%
  3. Couldn't care less...

8.2%
  4. What's AZN FTW stand for?

19.2%
  1. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

I'm changing into my uniform for work so I don't have that long left. I was curious if someone could try this gametype on Side Longest. You said Foundry maps are normally too small. Side Longest was made togive the illusion of a bigger map. I think that there may not be enough weapons on the map for it to work and too many power weapons, but it's worth a shot. And like I said I have alot of good layout ideas for new squad maps... as long as it is hallway based it should be good... so what about somethng like this:

________
    / \ / \
    / \ / \
    |____________|
    | / \ |
    \ / \ /
    \________/

Basically a Hexagon with a center and each corner with a hallway to the center. Or something like that... Each squads map would have to specify how many teams it can fit. Like Fool's Highway can fit 8. That would be able to fit 6 (one at each corner). We can all speculate for later. And I am fine if the gametype evolves (like conquest) I was just pissed that I wasn't informed about it. I find out later that everyone thinks someone else built it and people saying that I knew nothing cuz they didnt' know that it was my own gametype. So let's have some of you creative guys out there help evolve Squads into a well known gametype. As conquest and in the shadows are... as well as my next one ;).

For those that are wondering it is an Oddball Standard gametype that can be played on any map... so I'm not posting a map with it. Cuz it already works great on Guardian, Ghost Town, Pre-Made Foundry, etc...

2. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

Wow glad to see your back I havn't seen a map on Rat's Nest in a while so good job on that and I will give the map a 4/5 too. I'll DL and try this out than rate later.

3. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

This is truly original and rich in gameplay. It is always terrible if your VIP dies in combat but then you need to wait. Only few problems are that there are no grenades because in real squads they do have grenades. I must say though quite impressive and I cant wait for your new gametypes and maps to come out. AZN FTW Rules.

Ray Benefield likes this.
  4. StreetSoccer12

StreetSoccer12 Ancient

Awesome map! When I played with you in a big group I had sooo much fun playing this. Playing these unique game variants makes your maps and style of play so great. Hopefully I could play more of your maps and with ya.

5. mackmack

mackmack Ancient

I played on this map last nite, and it is AWESOME. it is highly addictive, and plays really well.

6. absentrabbit

absentrabbit Ancient

Oh, didn't realize that by 'publish' you actually meant you already put it up on ForgeHub...
    :p

Anyway, glad this is finally released... Took forever. I'm not sure if you already mentioned this, but we made the Squads game type a couple of months ago. However we had a huge problem with assassinations so we weren't going to do anything with it other then hope bungie would add an assassination option in one of their auto updates... Too bad that never happened so we later decided to make it on Rat's nest, as there is only really two ways enemies can come from, meaning less assassinations.

Probably not, unfortunately.

Like I've said, and I'm sure AZN said somewhere: Assassinations are the problem, and Rats nest is really the only map to kinda help fix the problem.

#26 absentrabbit, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

That sucks, because it sounds like a very cool gametype. Maybe if you tweaked the settings to give -points for assassinations. Is that possible with VIP?

8. absentrabbit

absentrabbit Ancient

Unfortunately I don't think you can in VIP, I'm pretty sure that's only in Slayer.

9. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Asper... after putting more thought into it and if you've read the thread this is possible on other maps. But they have to be hallway based instead of out in the open lik ethe maps we were playing like Standoff, Isolation, and Valhalla. I'm sure on an enclosed Hallway based map Squads works perfectly fine. Dont' give doubt to the potential the gametype has lol... the thing is it's just that rat's nest already had that fundamental concept of the "hallway" allowing only being flanked on 2 sides. The same can be done if you made an X layout map and connected the points (basically a square with an x in the center). What would happen is that only the connecting points you can get assassinated from multiple flanks, but not like you would be able to in Valhalla or Standoff. So yeah.. Hallway based maps people... think like that and the games should play fine.

10. Creeping Death

Creeping Death What's a Halo?

This is a very intriguing gametype AZN. The thing that appeals the most to me is the team unity. I recently had a map featured that relies upon team unity so seeing another great sounding gametype that relies on the same principles gives me high hopes.

Now, unlike a few nubs on here I can respect and appreciate the simplicity of the map, but clearly this is a variant that depends primarily on the gametype, which I like a lot. There needs to be more maps created on this site with their own custom variants.

All in all this looks like it could be really fun. I also noticed that the video features dual wielding type weapons primarily, but you mention in your post that more advanced weapons such as the Sniper appear over time. Did you include the full spectrum of weapons such as Swords and Hammers? Or is it strictly duals and longer range weapons?

11. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

The actual weapon setup is you spawn with Pistols, VIP spawns with AR... SMGs and Spikers at start, plasma rifles at 60, ARs at 120, BRs at 150, and Snipers at 180. Originally there were Lasers... but because of balancing and it being a racetrack there is no center focus point for a power weapon. So there had to be two. The team that got the first would easily get the second and then easily win. So they were taken off. However on a different layout (like a square with an 'x' in the center) you could place the one power weapon at the center point. Whatever it may be. The other usable potential weapons I can see used are Bruteshots and Maulers/Shotguns (obviously these to a bare minimum). Turrets would make for interesting gameplay. I try to limit power weapons on my maps like swords and such cuz I know that the sword would break Squads. But I will let you guys experiment and playtest.

The reason why most of the vid is Duals is because dual weapons make prolonged and epic battles. Same concept as Conquest (which is why I was pissed that Dam. Resist was changed on it... it reduced tactical positioning, cuz you didn't live long enough to position properly or take cover). SO duals are everywhere, and single weilds are scarce. And plus the only single wields on the map are the VIPs' ARs for 2 mins from start...

More comments = more chance of community making good maps out of the gametype. Let's keep this up, cuz i have some great ideas for this that I want to share. I just can't think of them all at once.

12. xkevlarpro

xkevlarpro Ancient

Wow, really, really detailed. You don't see much maps like these.

13. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

I love this map! Great job AZN.

14. American10

American10 Ancient

Dude good job this is one of the best maps Ive seen in awhile.Of course it doesnt apply to everyones aesthetic needs but the gameplay is superb.The tactics around the V.I.P was a great success.5/5

15. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Why thank you good sir... lol. I'm looking to get a room together tonight to discuss some good layouts for new squad maps and good unique ideas for the gametype and the standard for the maps in general. Anyone interested PM me...

16. stouf761

stouf761 Ancient

Wow its been awhile since ive seen you.....well except that tgif a few weeks ago (if you dont remember ill edit these parentheses to add a hint)

Squads sounds like a great standard and this looks like a well made rats nest map, i prefer them without the main inner part and just the tunnel

17. HITtheLIGHTZ

HITtheLIGHTZ Ancient

Sort of a mini-necro post if you could call it that, but this looks pretty unique and I would love to run some games on it. I'll give actual feedback once I've played it.

18. damarco

damarco Ancient

Finaly you posted it azn 5/5 i still think you should make another map for it though.

19. penguin asassin

penguin asassin Ancient

played it with a few friends and it was actually pretty dang fun my only gripe is that when your away from your leader you still do normal damage so in addition to moving fast you could go and assassinate vips for 2 points then die for 1 so maybe reduced damage? its really fun and cant wait to see knew maps. (cold storage hint hint)

20. crazyzebu

crazyzebu Ancient

The map is pretty good but the gameplay is amazing. Exellent work, good job creating an interesting (and fun) gametype. Very nize =)