Fool's Highway

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Ray Benefield, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Are you glad AZN FTW is back?

1. W00T!!! THE LEGEND IS BACK!!!

60.3%
  2. Damn... his arrogant, egotistical self is back...

12.3%
  3. Couldn't care less...

8.2%
  4. What's AZN FTW stand for?

19.2%
  1. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Fool's Highway
    By: AZN FTW & Asper49

"Only fools continue in circles with no purpose... the same people that fall as victims on this highway."

Download Map
    NOTE: The focus is not on the map but on the new gametype Squads

Gametypes

Squads *NEW Standard Gametype*
    SWAT
    Team Slayer
    Other Random Slayer/VIP gametypes that require up to 8 Teams

Youtube Videos

Fool's Highway Gameplay
    Available in High Quality*

Squads Gameplay Tutorial
    *Available in High Quality*

The Screenshots

Outside Highway
    [​IMG]

To Outside Highway
    [​IMG]

Edge of Highway
    [​IMG]

Inside Highway
    [​IMG]

Description

OK so I've been gone for a really long time from Forge Hub. Within the next few weeks I will be releasing some maps to make up for my absense. Here's the first of many.

As I used to I always started with a little bit of map history and how it came to pass. So this map was made to take advantage of a new standard gametype, Squads. Squads came to pass when good old rusty eagle was applying for guilder and needed a map idea. SO I was like you need to do something VIP. SO we came up with Commander... it didn't work to well on Standoff. Basically your commander was the focus of everything, picking up weapons, regenerating shields, etc. And he had to stay at your base so he was very slow and he stayed back with a sniper rifle and gave out orders to everyone. The commander basically got bored every game. So instead of having the commander stay back he traveled with you as a squad leader. That worked so much better. Now on to the gametype details.

Squads is focused on keeping players together and communitcating. When you are away from your squad leader you do not regenerate shields, you run faster (so you can get to your squad leader), you have less damage resistance, and you can't pick up weapons. When you are next to your squad leader you gain a team waypoint, can pick up weapons, gain more resistance, regenerate shields, and gain better radar. When you are away from your squad leader you don't have a waypoint on your head so it is your job to find your squad leader. Also VIPs are worth 2 points and everyone else is worth 1. Respawn timer is set to 15 secs. And score is to 25. Maximum number of teams is 8.

As for the map it was made specially for squads. Squads can technically be played on any map, but being flanked from ALL sides was frustrating. So we made a map where you can only be flanked on two sides. Many objects are available for cover, making it ideal for games like SWAT. There are only starting spawns for Slayer and VIP cuz we hit the item limit. Throughout the match more advanced weapons spawn from plasma rifles to sniper rifles. Other than that the map is just a standard oval map with cover. No interlocking, and no geo-merging here folks. Just good ol' object placement.

As for future additions for Squads maps... I suggest hallway based maps where you can only be flanked by a contolled amount of sides. Being assassinated in Squads is the only slightly annoying thing. Anyways, that should be enough description for yall for now. If you want an example of gameplay or if you want a tutorial on the rules for squads check the youtube video links by Asper.

Enjoy!

Other Maps

Azkaban
    The Platform
    Mario Tower
    The Labyrinth
    Training Ground
    The Cellars
    The Estate
    Side Longest

LOLOLOLOLOLOLABUSE.

#1 Ray Benefield, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
    Kagemusha likes this.
  2. II AceMasta II

II AceMasta II Ancient

Looks cool and its on Rats Nest. You dont see many of those ill dl and check it out. From what i can see ill give this a 4/5 maybe just a few more pictures would do(3 or so).

3. Eyeless Sid

Eyeless Sid Ancient

Kind of seems like convoy tunnel that just keeps you going in circles. :/ I'm sure it plays fine for SWAT but it doesn't look like it took a long time to plan out. I think you could have tried something new or different on this map instead of a item chooked tunnel game. It does look good for VIP though I'm not sure how the gametype will play I'll have to see for my self or I'll watch the toutorial.

#3 Eyeless Sid, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  4. Elkan Viel

Elkan Viel Ancient

I like how you blocked off the whole inside. It looks really fun with a 16 person party (I never get a party like that though) and it reminds me of another map but the map I'm thinking of was featured. Looks fun even to go around in circles and not camp in one spot. 5/5 but no download my custom game count thingy is maxed out.

5. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Alright I edited the post... The point of the map is to focus on the new Standard Gametype Squads. Did you read the description folks? And I edited to add in big bold letters that the focus is on the gametype. This gametype is to be added to my previous famous gametypes: In the shadows and Conquest.

6. MXG Frost

MXG Frost Ancient

Yay the linky has arrived!

7. Ak Tulio 907

Ak Tulio 907 Ancient

wow great idea vary original me and my freind just created something like this yesterday i like the athetics of yours and the gameplay looks great 5/5 i will surely DL

8. Elite Ruler

Elite Ruler Ancient

looks good. i don't see a lot of Rats Nest but it seems like a fun game.

9. Ja Red is Ninja

Ja Red is Ninja Ancient

W00T AZN FTW iz back. I noticed that you are back to you're professional gametype making. welcome back and 5/5 for gamrtype. 4/5 for the map itself

10. Obibital

Obibital Ancient

kinda a thrown together map, but you said its not focused on the map, but the gametype. ive mever heard of squads, but im guessing kinda like team SWAT. looks kinda fun though, ill try it.

11. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

It's more prolonged battles as a squad rather than fast-paced action... alot more tactical. You have 500 dam. resistance next to your Squad leader with fast shield recharge... as well as 300 dam. resistance away from your squad leader. Positioning is very important and communication is required. i suggest watching the vids for more info on the gametype or grab a party of atleast 6 people and do 3 on 3... this gametype can fit up to 8 teams of any size... 8v8, 4v4v4, 2v2v2v2v2v2v2, 3v3v3, etc...

Oh and the map is not thrown together... all of the objects exist for cover and positioning... or aesthetics of course... the map is built simple because I am that one unique guy that shows simplicity is key... lol...

Sage likes this.
  12. COMMANDERMATT1

COMMANDERMATT1 Ancient

Yes, The legend is back!!! Are you back for good or are you just going to leave us tomorrow for AC4? We must preach this message all around "The great legend of forgehub is back!!!" But I thought Asper49 was going to post this. Ohh well...

I remember playing this in one of the TGIF's with you and some other people. The map is so fun to play. And it's also great that someone can actually make a good looking map with no interlocking, Since forgehub has become addicted with over interlocked maps. Great map AZN, and Asper, truely a great map.

13. Jamie182

Jamie182 Ancient

i like the way you've blocked off the middle
    and made it a non vehicle map
    very nice 4/5.

14. Hoff

Hoff Ancient

Looks very interesting. I'm glad that more people are making maps based around good gameplay. All there is on the map is weapons, and thought out geometry based around cover and flow. So good job on that.
    Also, the gametype seems like it would play nice, like a slowed down, more tactical version of team slayer. I like the idea.

I'll be sure to try it out when I get a chance. And I'm glad to see your back, even though I never really knew you, but I've seen most of your maps.

EDIT:

Three questions:

1. Is there any equipment? I think that radar jammers would be a nice addition.

2. Also, would it be okay if I made my own Squads map, as long as it had your requirements? As in only being able to be flanked on two sides, many objects for cover, spawning of 'advanced weapons' later on in the game. Good object placement, and no unecessary geomerges or interlocks.

3. And if so, can any weapons be used in Squads, or any equipment (if equipment is allowed), or is there a set list of weapons (and advanced weapons) and equipment?

#14 Hoff, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  15. nickseeknconker

nickseeknconker Ancient
    Banned

looks like monster trucks to me im not ganna dl this it looks like u just trough a whole bunch of **** togeather just puts me to sleep and it looks like a bunch of things clutterd in to a big long pile

16. N1NJ4

N1NJ4 Ancient

Kid you don't even realize that with AZN FTW the map i never too complex but is usually very addicting. i can think of a few, and AZN know what i'm talking about, that i could play for hours and not get bored. I think you should download this, I am, and give it the chance it deserves. It's like chinese food, even if it doesn't look good you can't say you don't like it if you haven't tried it.

#16 N1NJ4, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  17. Iv0rY Snak3

Iv0rY Snak3 Ancient

definitely not, Asper and Chipsinabox have been preaching that very message since you left.

as for the map... well, I can't say it looks good, but I know it will play beautifully. I am very interested to know your choices behind the equipment or lack thereof, and, with permission I would like to at least attempt a squads map.

Also, you've already conquered territories, infection and VIP (forgive me if I have forgotten any) so which gametype is lucky enough to be revolutionized next?

18. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Yeah... I didn't mean that statement as an absolute, I was refering to the stereotypical unique guy in a group of friends. There are thousands of people here so I figure there are others like me.

Cluttered? Look at the map carefully. The aesthetics were carefully done on this map. Just because they are simple does not mean it looks bad. Cuz if you ask me, I like the look and feel of the environment. it actually feels like a highway at alot of parts. I enjoy our use of the forklifts and barrels especially, and the small crates and barriers. It may be simple, but that doesn't mean it looks bad... and it also doesn't mean that we just threw it together. Each object was selected carefully and positioned for gameplay. I apologize for not making huge forts at each part of the highway out of majorly interlocked objects... cuz uh... how aesthetically advanced can you get on Rat's Nest? Come to think of it there are a few minor fixes with geo merging that could have been done... but I like my maps simple. Next time I'll get somebody to help with that. Until then I'm gonna keep my maps simple.

As for making maps for it... when Betawaffle adds "Gametype" as a prefix next to "MLG" I will release the standard gametypes with basic standards that "AREN'T RULES"... only a good basis. I'm fine if you make maps out of the standard gametypes... it's editing the gametypes that pisses me off... lol. Somethings are set in stone for a reason... mainly because Squads has been in development for months now. And I'm sure we could come out with a v2 that works for everyone's stuff later if need be. Anyways... I'll post that gametype so you guys know the standards as well as post a few layouts that would be great for squad maps that I don't have the time to do and would be better suited for those interlockers/geomergers out there for aesthetics and gameplay.

I'm off to work folks... spread this around with your friends... they won't be disappointed. And I hope this spawns a whole new array of maps from the community. As will my next standard gametype ;)...

19. Soldier62994

Soldier62994 Ancient

I Dled this map yesterday morning when i saw it on Bungie, played it with 10 other people and Squads is the most fun variant ive ever played. Its a really tactical gametype and works on pretty much all the maps, however, on Foundry its not so hot, I guess most Foundry maps are just too small

20. The Storm 59

The Storm 59 Ancient

Good job on the gametype, sounds like a good idea. I reckon this'd be great on Epitaph.