Focal

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Psychoduck, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

I don't think the collumn uses that many pieces :p More like 10! But still, I'm glad you like it. And no, screen lag is definitely not present here.
    Well thank you very much kind sir. To be honest, I'm not happy with how that works with the lift either, unfortuneately, I see no way to fix the issue without removing the awesome sightlines from that perch, and reducing the effectiveness of top control. It was abused once during testing, but only once, and it wasn't that bad. If I do think of a way to counter this, though, I will definitely fix it.
    Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed playing the map! I added you to the list of people who helped test, sorry you weren't there bfore.

#21 Psychoduck, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

i played a casual game of 1v1 on this tonite.

first off i'd say that you did a good job using the beam in the map in an unobtrusive way. its not like "look at me guys! look at my laser map!!!" rather it is just a part of things, and fits in well. The rest of the visual features of the map are quite nice as well, and overall i'd say it is very well forged.

but i did have two problems with the layout:
    1) the lift is easily campable. combined with the fact that when someone goes up the lift, the get a little height boost and go flying over the head of the person camping at the top, thus making them lose any chance of a quick melee/headshot or such things.
    2) the top in general is quite campable, and has sight lines down the middle of the map, and you can move back and forth to each side to control the top and put shots on people who are coming up either ramp. Now, im not saying there isnt cover. there definitely is. im just pointing out how the gameplay went down in my particular game.

despite these two issues, i did enjoy playing the map. i had a good time, and there were some epic and hilarious moments, but that is mostly due to playing against chuck.
    good job, looking forward to your next map =)

3. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

First, thank you for the feedback! I can understand how these probvlems would be present in a 1v1, but in the usual 3v3s and 4v4s played here, camping is literally impossible. The map's small size keeps the action moving, and camping anywhere is enough to get you killed very quickly as there is nowhere to camp with your back covered. I have yet to actually play a 1v1 here, but I can understand your points for sure. Luckily, these problems aren't present otherwise.
    Thank you very much sir.