Flare

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Totally Toast, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Totally Toast

Totally Toast Forerunner

Flare

[​IMG]

Flare is a symetrical map, primarily built for swat, team slayer, and FFA. Please do not leave a comment saying the map is to open, because "open" is what is wanted my map to be about. The map is indoor and fairly large, but do to its "openess" it is played best with less people, and swat is perfect on this map. The map consists of many different levels and creative walkways. Here is a weapon list:

1 Grenade Launcher - 45 secs - 3 spare clips
    1 Shotgun - 45 secs - 1 spare clip
    2 dmr's - 30 secs - 2 spare clips
    1 fuel rod - 45 secs - 1 spare clips.
    1 energy sword - 120 secs
    1 needler - 45 secs - 1 spare clip.
    2 spikers - 60 secs - 1 spare clip.
    1 concussion rifle - 60 secs - 1 spare clip.
    6 stickies
    2 frags

Please gimme your opinions or thoughts on my map that will help make the map better, or maybe effect my v2? Finally, here are some pics.

Overview
    [​IMG]

Flooded Tunnels
    [​IMG]

Large windowed sunroom w/ fuel rod gun.
    [​IMG]

Roofless shot
    [​IMG]

#1 Totally Toast, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Mulelish21

Mulelish21 Forerunner

WELCOME TO FORGEHUB!

This map looks great. The whole design feels like it flows very well. Your aesthetics are very nice too, but I see a few problems. Your first picture concerns me because not only do a lot of columns merged like that cause lag but lights do aswell. Also your shotgun spawns in the water which can be difficult to see for those who are in "the zone", might I suggest a small railing connected to the wall holding the shotty. But other then that Great Job!

3. Totally Toast

Totally Toast Forerunner

Ya i know lag can SEEM like a problem, but when you play it you wont see the slightest lag. I had a ton of budget left, and the even when looking at the colums their is no FR lag. Thanks for the comment and i know what you mean about the shotgun in water, but in gameplay it is more visable and most people didnt have a hard time finding it.

4. Neon1129

Neon1129 Forerunner

Map looks great but I have one suggestion. Try to use the window out of the decorative section(forget name)for your sunroom. It will be a lot smoother if you can find a way to use them.

5. Values

Values Forerunner

When I played this map with a few friends, there was some major issues.
    1. Fast respawning fuel rod gun at the top of the lift. What is that about?! Not only did it break flow, it caused intense camping where the person camping the lift with the fuel rod was dominate. He could sit on the teleporter and do whatever he pleases!
    2. The map was wide open. I had sight lines all over the place, causing easy kills and no where to run for them.
    3. The shield doors by the shotgun spawn.. He could just sit behind one of those with the shotgun and easily kill whoever walked by, but they could do nothing to prevent it.

6. Totally Toast

Totally Toast Forerunner

Did you like completely ignore my op... i said the map is open.. because i WANT IT TO BE OPEN. I WANTED THE LONG SIGHTLINES. 4 v4 is the max and anything less is recomended. idk how many people you played with but i played 4v4 with people and it was a bit cramped but i did not have any of these problems. Your friends are just major campers.

Btw if you dont want these problems, that only YOU seem to have, then just play swat, arena, or snipers. I recomended these types of games for the map

#6 Totally Toast, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. cyclonewolf114

cyclonewolf114 Forerunner

i really only have one question

why have a major power weapon set to 45 second respawnj (fuel rod gun) when its like one of the most powerful weapons in the game?

8. kavemanr

kavemanr Forerunner

I have to agree with Values on this one, if camping is an issue with one game, when someone else downloads the outcome will be similar. There are too many camping spots and as for the line of sights on it, they need work. It is possible to have an open map but with out the ability to spawn camp. Try to fix it with some more cover and fix the fuel rod gun spawns and release a V2.

9. SlyDog210

SlyDog210 Forerunner

The map definatly looks like a lot of fun to maneuver around on. You did a great job combining the forge pieces to make great looking decorations. You also did a great job using building blocks for inclines instead of regular inclines. Although the fuel rod cannon looks a bit conserning especially with a 45 sec respawn considering the size of the map. All I can see is that the fuel rod and other weapons might need a little fixing, but great job with the layout of the map.