Sandbox Excavation

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by OctoDeath, Mar 13, 2009.

1. OctoDeath

OctoDeath Ancient

Excavation
    (Halo 2's Foundation forged on Sandbox)
    UPDATED: 14th March 2009 - Please download the improved version

[​IMG]

With the size, flexibility and budget that Sandbox offers us it is now possible to more accurately forge remakes, reimaginations and successors to classic Halo:CE and Halo 2 maps.

Presented here is Excavation, Halo 2's Foundation forged on Sandbox. This excavated site in the middle of the Forerunner desert, shares strong parallels with the decommissioned robotic testing facility that lies deep in Chicago Industrial Zone 08. An arena that we all were so familiar with.

This map is not the first and certainly not the last attempt by the community at remaking Foundation. However, I am confident that this map is tbe closest representation we currently have of the classic gameplay Foundation had to offer.

VERSION 2 UPDATES & CHANGES:

• Fusion coils at BR spawns removed due to an exploit involving shooting the coils and getting out of the map
    • BR's run time maximum increased to 4
    • A set of pistols added on the ramps either side of BR spawn
    • Red and Blue lights moved to illuminate each team's room
    • Territories fixed, no longer 6 territories in aysmmetric games

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FEATURES:

• An inescapable map (no grenade jumping out of bounds)
    • Four large, inescapable, corner rooms
    • The central structure
    • A faithful weapon set, with some minor alterations
    • Great aesthetics
    • Set up for all gametypes

SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The playtests I've ran have only provided great feeback and nostalgia from those I've played with. I hope that more people feel the same way. But please share your own opinion, and let me know how you feel about this remake.

Download Excavation

Thanks for reading!

(Many thanks to you all for the positive comments, ratings and downloads you've made. I appreciate it!)

#1 OctoDeath, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. Kyfion

Kyfion Ancient

I really quite like this map :D
    Weapon placement is accurate as far as i can tell...what more can i say? I LIKE IT!!!
    And the remake seems pretty darn solid to me, mmmmmm i really wish i had the mythic map pack at times like this :(
    anyways ill favourite this page and download later, but for now 5/5

3. yunyezz

yunyezz Ancient

really nice looks like its worth it

4. pet

pet Ancient

nice!!! best foundation remake ive seen

5. DEATHPIMP72

DEATHPIMP72 Ancient

Very nice Octo, it was great playing this map with you the other night. For anyone thinking about downloading this do it. It is a great map.

DEATHPIMP72 H3ITWP

6. Wailingjam

Wailingjam Ancient

first off I would like to say that it is the best foundation remake I have ever came across so far, second I will download! The map looks really great the design looks almost identical and the remake all together is outstanding, great job!

7. squirrelxb

squirrelxb Ancient

This looks like the single best Sandbox Foundation remake to date, and I'm eager to try it out. You said that you made some alterations to the weapon layout... anything major?

I will definitely give this a DL and play online with some friends.

Edit: Nevermind about the smaller rooms part, they are all the same size :)

8. MASTER016

MASTER016 Ancient

i just checked it out i broke it in about 2-3 sec it was easy but over all there are some bumps but it does look nice

9. JamesButlin

JamesButlin Ancient

Looks very very well made, instantly recognisable as foundation, shame there will be no superbounces out of this ;)
    Definately a download for me.

10. B3RRY15

B3RRY15 Ancient

Wow, This is very nicely made. My only beef is that you are lacking the "1" through "4" above the rooms. I suggest you use those little teleports to write some numbers on em, or else ill get lost... 5/5 Downloaded, Nice job.

11. IDave the Rave

IDave the Rave Ancient

I don't know if it's a good reamke because I never had Halo2 but the map still looks pretty cool. I can tell that you've taken alot of time to make this map and it looks extremely fun to play.

12. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

Nice..

This looks really sweet!! I have a Foundation remake on my hardrive that I thought was decent but this looks like it just may replace it. Everything looks very nicely assembled and aligned. I'm Definately gonna que this one up and give it a test run. Good job IMO.

*thumbs up!*

13. SP Dark Killer

SP Dark Killer Ancient

Looks like a great remake although the original Foundation was never really a great map. Still it appeals to forgers because it really is not a difficult map to remake.

Edit: I have not played the map yet but in the second picture, there is a hole in the wall and I am wondering if it is possible for people throw the objective out of the map.

14. Realistic

Realistic Ancient

This is the kind of remake I've been waiting for. I think that, spite some of the minor alterations, this probably plays pretty close to the original. The scale is kept, and it looks great.

I don't quite do number grades, but I give this an A. If you have budget left over for making a number system, incorporate that and its an A+

You have my download, and a challenge: now try Ivory Tower :p

15. LIGHTSOUT225

Very nicely done, Octo. Just got done with a forge-through, and overall, I was really impressed. It turned out really nice, and the dimensions seem pretty damn accurate. Good job on that! Are you planning on submitting this to ATLAS eventually? I sure hope you are, it is definitely worthy.

I would appreciate, however, something that makes discerning the 4 bases apart from one another a bit easier. May I suggest deleting the roofing you have on 2 of the bases, and adding a second blue and red light. I'd move one blue light over one base, one red light over another, combine 2 of them for a whitish light over a third base, and leaving the 4th bare. It would make callouts infinitely easier on this map, which was one of the things that made the original Foundation work so incredibly well. Players were able to quickly distinguish where they were in relation to enemies, weapons, their home base, etc.

One other thing I thought I'd inquire about, because I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not.. did you mean for the Sword to be on a 30 second respawn time? Seemed awfully quick to me.

16. The_Oreo

The_Oreo Ancient

Wow, this looks fantastic. I am actually amazed at both the aesthetics and the overall accuracy of the remake. This Foundation is getting my d/l for sure.

4.9/5 (I woulda liked the numbers in the rooms)

17. Littlej

Littlej Ancient

Very nice, havn't played a game on it yet but I messed around on it before and it looks really good. Just adding on to what that other guy said earlier you can escape the map quite easily. I was able to get outside / on top of the map. You just have to stand on top one of the fusion coils, shoot it and it will launch you pretty high in the air (more than enough to get out) I'm pretty sure it only launches you that high when you are host though, not sure. Not sure if there's much you can do about that, maybe if you have two side by side it might kill the player rather than launching them in the air? I guess people could still just move it but it'd certainly make it more difficult.

Real nice though.

18. KUBLUH the forger

nice job on the layout, this is the first remake i have seen thats not in the crypt, this is the best foundation remake i have seen yet. great job, this is a keeper

5/5

19. blackandblutoo

blackandblutoo Ancient

Sir I believe this is the best recreation of Foundation I have seen. You unlike others, knew the bases needed to be bigger. Because They Are! Nice job in the middle too, I really dont think this needs a V2. Its perfect!

20. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

Got to do a forgethru of this last night and man am I impressed. I loved it. Everything looks really good. The only 2 things I didnt like were the floors were a little bumpy around the outer ring and the swork didnt spawn directly in the middle of the room when I started it up. Minor things really. All in all still an A+.

*thumbs up!*