Epic

Discussion in 'Map Discussion' started by a Chunk, May 9, 2015.

1. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

a Chunk submitted a new map:

Epic - Epicenter Re-Worked

Read more about this map...

2. Rome

Rome Legendary

Sex

WAR likes this.
  3. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I like it.

4. WarlordWossman

WarlordWossman Legendary

Good stuff! If 343 is sticking to the two selected maps for HCS they should take this version for sure.
    Also good to have a sniper with 1 spare clip!

5. TheElderAcorn

TheElderAcorn Video Team

Good work guys. hows spawning?

6. Box Knows

Box Knows Legendary

7. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist

There's no chance it gets into HCS. I actually started this version before Epicborough was selected for HCS. The very first time I saw pro players play it, Epicborough's faults became quite obvious to me. Even at that point, it was already too late to have a significantly altered version of the map be given any consideration for HCS. I made Epic just because I wasn't satisfied with Epicborough. It's too bad I didn't get a chance to see pro gameplay on the map a few months earlier, but regardless of the timing I'm super happy with how Epic turned out.

Spawning is not terrible, but not great either. It needs work still. For the life of me I can't understand why this game spawns players right by opponents in a Slayer game with dynamic spawning.

I'll probably make some more tweaks, but I don't really want to change the design if it comes down to it. I'm pretty sure I could significantly increase the chances of safe spawning by adding an extra room on the end of the bases, but I really don't want to do that as it noticeably slows down the pace of play and changes the map flow. It would benefit the map for objective gametypes, but hurt it for Slayer. Slayer is its best gametype and I don't want to make the best gametype play worse. I don't see that as a good trade-off.

Since this version of the map isn't in consideration for HCS, I'm taking it back to its original purpose of playing fast paced Team Slayer. If it turns out that I have to accept the occasional bad spawn in exchange, I'm okay with that. Hopefully we can have the best of both worlds... I have some ideas I need to test out.

I want to give a huge shoutout to Xandrith for his part in both the original design, and in the designing and forging of this version. Being that I've generally been the person to make map posts and reply to comments, I get too much credit for the map, and Xandrith gets WAY too little credit. It's truly been a joint effort.

TheElderAcorn likes this.
  8. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

The bases have been reworked and now have 2 levels with safer spawning. See screenshots!

9. TheGodofForge

TheGodofForge Legendary

Chunk and Xandrith, the great father-son duo. At it again with another father-son forge map. Paving the way for more family forged maps in the future. Good job you two. Any chance we will see a map from Momma Forge in the near future?

Xandrith and Chronmeister like this.
  10. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

This makes me feel weird.

Chronmeister likes this.
  11. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

This map is in my top three for H2A. I like everything about it and was inspired a bit by it when making Substance even though you may not see it. I really hope you guys can make this again in Halo 5.

Xandrith and a Chunk like this.
  12. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist

I'm glad you like it. :D
    It's my favorite version of the map. Has the best balance of openness and segmentation, best lines of sight, and best scaling. The basements under the bases really improved spawning too.

Not sure if it will be remade in H5. Xxandrith knows he's free to make it himself. I think we both agree that the versions we work on together are the best though. Both of our solo versions in H2A were pretty mediocre (Epicborough was extremely overrated). We finally got it right when we combined to come up with this version. I personally don't really like rehashing old designs too many times, just because a lot of my enjoyment comes from making new designs. So, we probably wouldn't be just straight up remaking this version of the map. We'll see what happens though... Anything is possible.

Xandrith and Chronmeister like this.
  13. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

I really love this map too. I still walk around on it wondering if it would have been an HCS success, but hey, at least tesla didn't get in!

I actually never got to play a real 4v4 on this map. Sad, really.