Ensanguination

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Weremidget, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Ensanguination Version 1.4

Left alone for too long, this is the result from a squad of bored Grunts with power tools. They recommend 2-6 players.

Map Download Link Is This.

Introduction:
    'Ensanguination,' the process of causing something to become red with blood. A fitting title for a small map built to house bloody deathmatches. Ensanguination is the result of a good seven or eight hours shaping and perfecting a vision of open, multi-leveled combat blended seamlessly with a touch of symmetrical charm. An excellent background for free for all Slayer matches, One Versus Ones, or Double Teams, Ensanguination is compatible with Slayer and King of The Hill.

Description:
    The outline shape of Ensanguination is a basic cross, the brilliance of this map comes from the levels contained within. The middle section is a square three by three boxes in size, and standing one box in height. Connected of one side of the centre-square is a wing two by three boxes in size and two boxes high. A pair of staircases set into the raised section join it to the centre. On the opposite side, another raised section stands at the same dimensions. It is connected by a single set of stairs.

From the remaining two sides, Double Boxes surround two more areas two by three in size which are at ground level. These are both connected via two separate sets of stairs and are the main spawn points for Team Games. Interior walls are few in number, making height the best cover, and largely Fence Walls. Apart from respawn points for Team Games, the two higher sides are neutral and, while not the same shape, can provide the same amount of cover and bear the same weapons.

The action is never slow on this map, it is always fast and intense. Don't bother bringing a tent or sleeping bag, you'll have no chance to camp and no weapon that can't be beaten by superior strategy and use of the geometry.

Any surfaces created with Boxes or Double Boxes have been interlocked together to eliminate the usual 'Bounce' that comes from walking from box to box.

Weaponry:
    6x Battle Rifles [2 Spare Clips, 30 Second Respawn Time]
    6x Fragmentation Grenades [10 Second Respawn Time]
    4x Plasma Grenades [10 Second Respawn Time]
    2x Firebombs [30 Second Respawn Time]
    2x Brute Shots [1 Spare Clip, 30 Second Respawn Time]
    2x SMGs [1 Spare Clip, 30 Second Respawn Time]
    2x Machine Gun Turrets [45 Second Respawn Time]
    1x Flamethrower [Does Not Respawn]
    1x Sniper Rifle* [1 Spare Clip, 60 Second Respawn Time]
    1x Shotgun [1 Spare Clip, 60 Second Respawn Time]
    1x Energy Sword [60 Second Respawn Time]
    1x Mauler [1 Spare Clip, 45 Second Respawn Time]

* The Sniper Rifle spawns on the same Weapon Holder as the Flamethrower, but does not spawn at the start and not for 60 seconds, by which point the Flamethrower should be gone. If not, the two interlock together but either can be picked up by looking in the right direction.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking an interest in my map. Good day, and Happy Forging.

#1 Weremidget, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. ROC bioflame

ROC bioflame Ancient

Although your map looks fun, people recommend taking pics in custom games to make it look more sloppy.(just a tip)

3. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

To make it look more sloppy? I'm gonna guess you meant less...

Well yeah I did take some from custom games, but then I decided to take some from Forge for another map and the download count jumped a fair bit. Probably just a coincidence, but either way people might like to see where the respawn points are, I don't mind it too much personally.

4. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

First, beautiful post. Everything is formatted nicely so it is easy to read. Second, what is this cross you speak of? Please include a diagram... wait, never mind. I love the name, and the thing about the grunts, but I don't see where they fit in to anything. Still interesting, though.

The layout of this map seems really interesting to me. I can't get a feel for the map by the screenshots alone, but the picture that was painted in my head by your description is a very pretty picture. The map is simple but could still be very fun to play. By the way, I've been looking for a good 1 vs 1 map.

Ok, 12 battle rifles? Two sniper rifles? This seems a little excessive for a map designed for 6 or fewer players. I mean, Guardian has only 1 BR and 1 carbine (right?). Also, is the sniper effective in this map? It seems pretty small.

I love grenades. Love grenades! But I hate maps where you can walk around for 20 seconds and then look up in the top left hand corner of your screen and see two of every type of grenade. In my opinion, if you want a grenade you should have to go look for it. I haven't had a chance to play this map yet, but I'm guessing that there are too many for my tastes.

Finally, you should edit this for King of the Hill. There could be a hill in each corner and the center. I think it might be cool for a 1 on 1 KotH or a 3 or 4 player free-for-all KotH.

Please don't take any of these concerns the wrong way. I like the sound of your map and the description was very nice. If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother typing all this crap out. These are just my opinions, and I have not played this map yet.

I always have to find some small, inconsequential thing to complain about. You misspelled "realize." [/nitpicking]

5. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Aah, but I didn't... not in English New Zealand.

Firefox tells me it's misspelled but I'm such a rebel that I ignore the advice of my computer programs.

Right well, yeah, you're probably right on all of those counts. There is likely an excess of Battle Rifles, and I think that's a sign of me Forging a map to my own liking instead of what I truly expect others want, which wouldn't be a bad thing if I didn't try to advertise them here... I like to play BR starts, I rarely do though, so I put BRs in everywhere so that I can spawn and straight away I have the weapon I want to use propped up against a wall next to me. Unfortunately, this is the second time I've been told off (so to speak) for flooding a map with Battle Rifles, so I'll cut down the number of them, 6 sound reasonable?

As for Sniper Rifles, not in the usual sense are they effective on Ensanguination, but I've recently gotten into no-scoping a lot and I guess this is the same deal as the BRs, I enjoy using Sniper Rifles. I might remove at least one, but the spare clips and respawn time are designed to keep them from having too big an effect on the map.

What was the other thing? Oh yeah, grenades. You're right again. It's starting to look like I went way overboard with the weapon placement, but with the same deal as the Battle Rifles, I always like to have some Plasmas in hand, and Firebombs are just plain fun, but I guess I'll delete off half of them or so. *Grudgingly Accepts*

As for Gametypes, sure, King of The Hill, Oddball, Juggernaut are all in my plans, I think the longest route point to point on this map is to small for CTF or Assault though, and it's not really the right shape for Infection. What did I miss?

Thanks so much, Furious D, this is the best constructive criticism I've had in a while and it really helps.

EDIT: Brute Shots in place of the Sniper Rifles sound cool? I don't really love the Brute Shot, but it could be alright on this map.

6. sean7690

sean7690 Ancient

This map looks really good. Definately going to download it. I agree with most of what Furious D said but i wouldnt go as far as removing the sniper rifles. Maybe having one in there in a neutral position and a brute shot where they currently are. Sniper rifles are just as effective in small maps and no-scope-mellee kills are a good skill to have.
    The BRs, the screenshots often show two next to each other so maybe just put one in their positions.
    In terms of grenades, my friends are all stick maniacs which means all of my maps generally have what furious described except that 10 seconds walking around would get you full grenades. Since the map is quite cornery a good supply of frags would be ideal with a few pairs of sticks and treating firebombs as weapons themselves. Like 2 on the map at any one time, and on a good respawn.

Btw, what does Ensanguination mean? something about blood, sangue is blood in french iirc.

NEVER MIND I CANT READ!!! :p

7. Fitzypatrick413

Fitzypatrick413 Ancient

this looks pretty fun! ;)

Keep Forging.

8. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Sounds good, I'll take out one Sniper Rifle and put the remaining one in a neutral position like you said. Now to find somewhere neutral without having it sitting next to the floating flamethrower...

Yeah, that was my plan with the BRs, great minds think alike!

About the grenades, I plan to remove about half of the plasma grenades and bring down the Firebomb limit, push up the respawn time a bit, but I don't want them to be like weapons with 1 shot. I'm thinking perhaps 1 in each wing with 25 second respawns (if 25's an option, if not, 30).

What else was I gonna say....?

Bah, can't have been important. Thanks, anyway.

EDIT: Just had an idea for the Sniper spawn, I could have the Flamethrower spawn at the start of the match, but then never respawn (I could live with that), and then have the Sniper Rifle not spawn at the start and spawn on the same Weapon Holder about 45 seconds in. By then, the Flamethrower should be gone, right?

9. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

That won't work, at least not in the same weapon holder. I really like the idea, but you'll have to have another weapon holder not spawn at start for the sniper. I think you might be able to use the "interlocking objects" technique to have both weapon holders in the same exact spot. It might be interesting if the sniper spawns and the flame thrower is still there.

My 360 just got returned to so I'm going to go download your map now.

Also, I love brute shots. I think they should be in here, maybe with no spare clips.

Also, I did not "realise" you lived in New Zealand. My bro just vacationed there. I heard it's beautiful.

10. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Actually, I'm just checking now, and it does work. They both float. If the Sniper spawns before the Flamethrower gets moved, then they sit jumbled together as if they'd been interlocked, but you can still pick up either one if you're facing the right direction. I don't think you'd have time to sit there trying to choose in most cases though, but either weapon would be handy to have.

Adjusting the clips on the Brute Shot now... you might want to hold off downloading this for another 5 minutes when I put up the new version I'm just doing. Putting in Hill Markers now. And I fixed up a bit of the slightly wonky scenery that was bothering me.

I hear New Zealand is a beautiful place, too, where I live isn't all that great though.

11. Romath

Romath Ancient

Very interesting map write up, and picture layout. Although next time keep in mind taking the pictures out of forge because people don't enjoy looking at the little white dots, and spawn points.

Good Luck on future maps,

Romath

12. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Didn't realise how much that actually bothered people. I'll replace the current ones soon then.

13. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

Yep, I forgot you could just pick up the flame thrower and then spawn the sniper. Duh. Although my 360 is back, I have a new problem. Bungie won't let me link my profile to my gamertag for some reason. It's really frustrating. I'm signed in at xbox.com, and at Bungie.net, but for some reason the two are not communicating.

I will definitely download this when I am able to and when you are finished making the changes. If anyone has any idea why I can't link my gamertag, please PM me with info. We need to stay on topic or Lance gets mad. :D

EDIT: Never mind about the gamertag linkage. I guess it is a known current problem at Bungie.net and should correct itself soon.

14. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Alright the new version, 1.2, is now published. The link has been redirected and there are new screenshots without the respawn points and placement cones showing. If you downloaded it before, I thank you, and if you liked it, then I urge you to download this improved version.

Thanks

15. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

Version 1.2 tested. I played a one on one slayer and then a 3 player FFA slayer here. Great Map! It was fun and crazy and intense. I've been looking for a cool map for head to head games and I think I've found it. However, there are a few things I still want to complain about.

First, there is one box that does not spawn at start. If you are standing behind the turret that faces straight down the stairs, it's on the right hand side. Very thin sliver of box, but it doesn't spawn at start so it bothers me.

Second, the needlers were pretty much useless in the games I played. I got killed by a needler once, and it was because I ran straight at the guy. I think I'm going to replace the needlers with maulers or plasma pistols or something. Hmm, maybe dual SMGs in those boxes. It's too hard to grenade people from down there anyway. Dual wielding might just save your life.

Also, just personal preference, but I changed one of the flame grenades to a spike grenade. It just seems like there'd be some cool situations where you'd be able to throw it on the side of a wall and the directional blast would kill your enemy around the corner.

The brute shot was awesome, I think it's a good addition.

I haven't tried KotH, but I think a 2 vs. 2 game would be cool.

I think that's pretty much it. Again, great map.

16. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

First, there is one box that does not spawn at start. If you are standing behind the turret that faces straight down the stairs, it's on the right hand side. Very thin sliver of box, but it doesn't spawn at start so it bothers me.

Damnit! I thought I'd gotten everything... I have a tendency to forget to switch things back to Spawn at Start after interlocking. Like the wall missing from a screenshot above. There was also a Double Box missing when I was taking those screens, but I think I must have accidentally deleted that and not noticed somehow.

Second, the needlers were pretty much useless in the games I played. I got killed by a needler once, and it was because I ran straight at the guy. I think I'm going to replace the needlers with maulers or plasma pistols or something. Hmm, maybe dual SMGs in those boxes. It's too hard to grenade people from down there anyway. Dual wielding might just save your life.

What about SMGs in one, Maulers in another? The SMGs' very slightly superior range could best the Maulers to balance out a fight between 2 people that picked them up, and Mauler + SMG is a fun combo.

EDIT: Maybe 2 SMGs in one, 1 Mauler in the other.

Also, just personal preference, but I changed one of the flame grenades to a spike grenade. It just seems like there'd be some cool situations where you'd be able to throw it on the side of a wall and the directional blast would kill your enemy around the corner.

So you left only one Firebomb in? Do you think one has enough of an impact? I didn't put any Spike Grenades in because the situation you described, when you don't stick someone rarely works for me, not unless they're shield-less and somehow don't see the grenade lodged into the wall behind them. Like you said, though, that's more of a personal preference, so I don't feel obliged to change it myself.

I think that's pretty much it. Again, great map.

Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it.

(The 'preview post' function doesn't seem to be working, it just says 'Fetching preview...' when it's clearly not doing anything. This happening to anyone else?)

17. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Alright, the new version, 1.4, is now up, along with a brand new description in the first post. It would be great if anyone that played this could leave a comment in the Bungie.net thread to bring it up over the ramps, labyrinths and soccer fields that plague the topic list.

18. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

First, double posting is strongly frowned upon here. I'm pretty sure if you edit your last post, it will display the "new" next to the thread name, so people will know there is something new there. There isn't a need to post again.

Well, both the flame and spike grenade can kill someone if you stick them. Let's look at what happens when you miss.
    Flame Nade: The wall or floor nearby catches fire and becomes dangerous, it can kill someone if they stand there for too long.
    Spike Nade: A directional blast can injure or kill someone standing where it faces. It can be used to kill someone behind a corner.

If you miss sticking the enemy, the spike grenade has a much better chance of injuring or killing them. I'll admit that the flame grenade is way cooler, but I think the spike grenade opens up some options for clever players. And since they both kill an enemy if you hit the guy, you aren't really losing anything by choosing a spike grenade over a flame grenade.

Ok, back on topic. I'll definitely download the newest version.

19. Weremidget

Weremidget Ancient

Duly noted. It won't happen again.

I guess... but again it's still largely a personal preference, and I just don't like Spike Grenades, and I do find Firebombs more fun to use. The new version has the Firebombs, no Spike Grenades, but it shouldn't be hard to edit them in, like I know you will ;D

This may be another thing that's frowned upon here, but could I ask you to do me a favour and leave just a brief comment in the Bungie.net thread? Thanks for downloading anyway, and for all the help you've given me to get the map this far.

20. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

Yeah, I'll do that soon. I have to head to work now. I always forget about the Bungie threads. I don't even go there any more except to download the maps that I find here. I'll give you a bump so that all the uneducated masses on Bungie.net can see your map too.

For others reading, I will comment on Bungie.net threads if I like the map. I will not comment just to bump it. But if I tell you that I like your map you'll probably have to remind me like Weremidget did.