Sandbox Endocrine

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Kiloh Ekim, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Kiloh Ekim

Kiloh Ekim Ancient

Endocrine

Recommended Players: 4-10
    Recommended Gametypes: Slayer, Symmetrical Gametypes

Stress, the human body’s fight or flight response, is governed by a series of glands known as the Endocrine system. When the time comes pupils dilate, a heart accelerates, muscles tense, all whilst your mind chooses weather to run or fight. A narrow walkway stretches below a Spartan’s feet, bordered on either side by a consistent wall and a four-story drop. Hostile dots appear close behind and a Red brandishing a battle rifle sweeps around distant cover to your open side. Now it’s your choice: fight or flight?

Weapon List

Battle Rifle x4
    Assault Rifle x2
    Carbine x2
    SMG x2
    Spiker x2
    Brute Shot x2
    Plasma Pistol x2
    Needler x2
    Rocket Launcher x1

Equipment:

Plasma Grenade x4
    Spike Grenade x4
    Frag Grenade x8
    Bubble Shield x2

Map Description

Endocrine is a symmetrical map placed in the crypt which takes its main design cues from the map “Melatonin” in Marathon Drundal. The map features an octagonal perimeter. Along the top one can find a circling walkway leading around the map. One level below, two perpendicular walls intersect at a square, dividing the lower map into four quadrants. Among these symmetrical areas (four levels lower than the walkway), a player can find, along with a host of weaponry and cover, teleporters to bring you to the top of each quadrant.

The map’s design is delightfully simple, adding cover and diversity through relatively straightforward elements of the map. A player can, for example, drop from the main walkway onto the ground level to avoid confrontation with rifles or overwhelming force but in doing so he risks losing his high ground and freedom of travel. The map is easy to learn and features a layout suited well for both big teams and small parties.

Overview 1
    [​IMG]

Overview 2
    [​IMG]

Red Basement
    [​IMG]

Glance at the Rocket
    [​IMG]

Reds Hold Center
    [​IMG]

Downstairs Skirmish
    [​IMG]

Counterattack
    [​IMG]

Entanglement

Endocrine is the first map of three in the Entanglement Map Pack, released by N1NJA MERC. In brief, the goal of this map pack is to encourage innovative, yet conventional gameplay through unconventional design.

Side Notes

Thanks to all the unofficial testers who made this map a joy to create: I had as much fun as you did. Thanks to all the women that made my life miserable enough to need this respite: I had as much fun as you did.

Download: Here

2. Fruitbat7

Fruitbat7 Ancient

nice map man. very original and clean forging. I especially like the upper walkways and the central rocket area. You should make a version 2 and try to forge the teleporters into the map to make them invisible and improve asthetics

3. mikecincifan22

mikecincifan22 Ancient

nice map forging looks well done and the aethsetics are top notch well done 4.7/5

4. RebelCow

RebelCow Ancient

good, clean map. however, it is too open. add more cover in the V2. and take more time, some of the walkways are sloppy. but, good job! 4/5

5. Kiloh Ekim

Kiloh Ekim Ancient

Thanks! As for the top level cover issue, this has never been an issue in my (admittedly limited) testing as I chose not to use BR starts. The top is really quite large and most people can't make use of an AR at range without putting immediate close-range combat in jeopardy. Also to break up the line of sight are the Obelisks extending upward from the center (4th picture.)

And yes, the walkways look sloppy because this was the last map of mine not to use total interlocking. However, I paid special attention so that there are no spots in which a player can get hung up or trip over a bump. Essentially, it's smooth enough to play on.

6. Xang

Xang Ancient

Pretty nice map, very clean i will tel you that. I played around in it a bit and it was quite fun, i didnt have any friends to play it with but i could tell that gameplay would be fun. One problem i found is where the tube corners are at the top, you can simply nade jump out of the map.