End of the Line

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Draw the Line, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

[​IMG]
    Click picture above to download
    Discovered in the American frontier back in the early 19th century, this mine was soon abandoned in hopes of finding more lucrative grounds in California. Not much remains of the abandoned mine, the only exception being the old steam locomotive thats sits atop a bridge in the middle of the quarry. The passageways out of the quarry have long since collapsed, and that steam engine has reached its last destination...the End of the Line.

End of the Line is an open aired asymmetrical map thats intended to offer fast, competitive combat. While the map feels open, the train and bridge cutting through the center of the map really helps break the line of sight. Small nooks and ledges can be found throughout the map and help the map feel like a real quarry.

Each side of the map is balanced using different weapons. The blue base has a rocket launcher and a sword, while red base holds a spartan laser and a shotgun. Both bases house a sniper rifle, which can be devastating in the right hands. Battle rifles and carbines can be found throughout the map, and are a great defensive measure against a marksman. A single overshield can be found at the center of the quarry, and is usually rushed for at the beginning of a match. Some of the power weapons are not in plain sight, so you'll have to go looking for a few if you want to use them. They shouldn't be too difficult to stumble upon.

Gametypes Supported:
    Slayer/Team Slayer
    One Flag/Multi Flag
    King of the Hill
    Territories
    One Bomb Assault
    Oddball
    Infection

I recommend playing a game of 1 flag on this map. It should play similar to 1 flag on Relic from Halo 2. The defenders have the advantage at first, but once the flag is off the train the momentum swings to the offensive team.

[​IMG]

During Flag matches, the top of the train is an effective way to reach the flag. Beware snipers though....
    [​IMG]

Blue side in a nutshell
    [​IMG]

Red side in a nutshell
    [​IMG]

While playing one flag it is very important to escape the train through the side of the cabin. Its a one way exit though, so don't expect to be able to sneak in that way.
    [​IMG]

The bottom portion of the quarry is essentially a death trap. There isn't too much cover and you're at a height disadvantage. Try staying on the outside section of the map if you want to live longer.
    [​IMG]

Blue Tower
    [​IMG]

Another view of blue base
    [​IMG]

Controlling this portion of the map is key to winning any match.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the train
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sword is more dominant in this map then you'd think...
    [​IMG]

Spartan Laser spawn located in the ground directly in front of spartan
    [​IMG]

Fence gap to shoot enemies below
    [​IMG]

Any comments on Bungie's website are also greatly appreciated.

2. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

This looks like a keeper, though I'm curious about the train's open boxes. It looks a little disorienting to have to jump each container.

3. LIGHTSOUT225

wow. this map is refreshing. DLing right now.

4. David 118

David 118 Ancient

the train is really origional and to have the flag in it must make it really different to get because you have to travel down the train.

5. haruki jitsunin

haruki jitsunin Ancient

Well, it looks really good... I mean, it looks like you have a nice bit of original aestheticism to the map while still keeping it playable...I downloaded it and plan to rate it once I get to it.

6. kayaman132

kayaman132 Ancient

the whole look of it is really nice.

7. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

Oh shoot boy! This looks pretty amazing from the pics man.. definately gettin a Download from me.

8. alcapone900

alcapone900 Ancient

Looks awesome and fun im downloading.

9. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Wow. I love it.

[​IMG]

10. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Simpsons reference! Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone.

11. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Looks incredible - I give you alot of credit even before playing. And I will. It does look like it might be very difficult to grab the flag in the train with a cohesive team playing defence though. I only see one route up there, am I missing something?

12. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

There are two routes to reach the back of the train, one is going up the double staircase, the other is literally walking on top of the train. While on top of the train there are small gaps to shoot and lob grenades into the train, so defensive players cannot just sit and camp in the train without taking risk of injury. So if you have a cohesive offense, you can combat a well placed defense.

13. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I played a game of this with Draw and I had a blast. But since we just loaded it up and played, I didn't get a chance to explore much, and I get the feeling that there are little treasures all over the place. I didn't even get time to fully admire the train.

The final score was 2-0, so obviously it is possible to grab the flag. But I think the teams were a little unbalanced. If you're worried about offense, I'd suggest replacing the sword with a camo. Right now, the sword might not be very effective. And a camo would allow a player to get right up to the back of the train to line up some snipes or some grenades if the defenders are camping the train.

One of my favorite parts of the game was when I was on defense, and I went over the the offensive side "sniper tower". I saw a guy at the top of the stairs so I was shooting him with the BR, but he got inside the train car before I could get the last headshot. But then I noticed the fusion coil inside the train car, and how it was perfectly lined up with the side opening. One quick shot and the thing exploded and there was no more attacker in my train.

Anyway, great map. Let's "bee" friends.

14. IxGUNxSLINGERxI

IxGUNxSLINGERxI Ancient

great map aesthetically pleasing and looks very balanced i am going to test this map out once it downloads you should defiantly make more maps

15. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

This map looks amazing, I can't wait to download it. Nice work.

16. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

Its nice to see someone attempt to mesh artistic modeling with an actual board that can be played and not just modeling a scarab and throwing spawn points on it. This seems very original.

17. Matty

Matty Ancient

The train looks really cool, although it it spoils the effect with it bieng pretty much suspended.

18. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

Draw the Line makes another map once again. This is defenitely a keeper. Now for the journery of getting my xbox back...

19. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

Just did a forge-through of this map and I have to say that I absolutely HATE it now. WHY YOU ASK? Lemme tell you why. I was just sittin in your map admiring it and decided to go put my clothes in the dryer. I come back and my Xbox is going on and off and it wouldnt open properly. I had to jam a butter Knife into the disc tray to open it and in doing so I broke something.. what I'm not exactly sure. I think this map is a cursed jynx and I hate it.

OK OK OK.. all joking aside (though that really did happen, and now I am Xboxless) this map really is amazing from what I saw. I [glow=red,1,100]L O V E D the train. Plus the rest of the map actually does have a sort-of mining feel to it, especially the sniper tower. Speaking of, I like how it is behind the turret in the train so that the turret isnt so overpowering. I also like how you cleverly hid the Rockets and Flamethrower. All in all dude, I think this map has raised the ante on forging. It looks amazing. 5/5

Now to just play a game on it **thumbs up!**

20. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I'm guessing you didn't stumble across the Spartan Laser then....its semi hidden as well. Thanks for the compliment. And sorry about your xbox, my tray has issues sometimes as well...although I didn't pull a knife on it, lol. Good luck to you and explaining that to Microsoft.