Elongation conveyor idea?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ZServ, Oct 7, 2010.

1. ZServ

ZServ Ancient

As many Halo 2 veterans can recall, there was a map called Elongation (which was basically 2 long hallways) that had conveyors; Someone made a pretty functional Conveyor in Halo 3 forge, but it couldnt be used for any sort of maps because of its complexity. However, what if one was to use a system that "recycled" the "conveyor," with the conveyor being made of crates? IE, a floor that holds the conveyors back, but grav lifts pushing them down a set path. Based on the fact that they gave us stronger ones, logically they'd move further. Plus, because of the setup, this could fit perfectly underneath a map, making a true Elongation remake possible with Killzones on the recycle entry.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. ProtoFury

ProtoFury Ancient

My first thought is, you've only got 8 man cannons to use.

3. patrickcanttype

patrickcanttype Forerunner

Also the crates can't go through man cannons or grav lifts. I do like the idea, but it might be hard to put into effect.

4. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

im not fully understanding your idea, and also i dont understand how using the grav lifts to move crates will make this in any way similar to Elongation? The grav lifts push the objects at a much higher rate than the conveyor belt moved the crates. They moved at a slow pace, they werent being launched.

Perhaps i am misunderstanding the idea. But, you should build a rough draft and see if it works, and then post it in here so we can all understand

5. ProtoFury

ProtoFury Ancient

Not to mention the fact that this would be ridiculously hard to actually implement into a functional map.

6. Warfang

Warfang Ancient

I think I see where you're going with this. However, I doubt that this is possible to construct, considering the resource restraints that you'd have to deal with. It would quite challenging to create a continuously flowing line of crates that move at a reasonable speed. Then there's the possibility of the system jamming due to grenades and other explosives. Plus, I doubt that there are enough crates available to do this at all.

Good luck though :)

7. TheUnseenForce

TheUnseenForce Forerunner

I've heard that you could budget glitch on sandbox in halo 3... would it work on forge world? If so, could you place unlimited grav lifts? Am I misunderstanding this entire thing? I think a working conveyor would be really cool, but I'm not sure how to build it. (Assuming its possible.)

8. fencerman333

fencerman333 Ancient

i have an idea on how to make this work, ill try something tomorrow and post something up

9. Skorpius47

Skorpius47 Ancient

It would be better to use all of those resources into building the map itself, since the conveyor system of Longest was mostly an aesthetic sort of thing and never actually affected gameplay on a grand scale.

I foresee someone quoting me and telling me how they once hid behind a crate with the enemies Flag or something and rode the conveyor all the way to score.

10. ProtoFury

ProtoFury Ancient

Let me point out a major flaw in the "using crates as the conveyor" method that I don't think anyone has brought up yet--no matter what you do to it's settings, once a crate sustains enough damage, it will eventually disappear and attempt to respawn. There would be virtually no feasible way to implement a system which could effectively handle the respawning of the crate and still have the conveyor moving smoothly and undisturbed. Not to mention, this all assumes that most, if not all, of the above complications were solved perfectly.

Good luck trying to figure this one out, but I would wager your time would be better spent actually making the rest o the map, like Skorpius said, or coming up with some other inventive mechanism/trick/whathaveyou, if you feel like you absolutely must spend your time creating and/or solving tricky problems.

11. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Does not work, attempted this on halo 3 with 1 conveyor up top and a reverse conveyer underneath, exactly like your diagram. I use funnels to try funnel the dumpsters, but the problem is, they just get jammed. Nothing you can do. They will never go at the right speed either.

Someone needs to find a way to despawn items on demand. That is the only way this will work. I'm hoping there will be some kind of glitch with the invasion settings which will allow this...

12. Chan

Chan Forerunner

There was one map on Halo 3 that used pallets as a conveyor. A new pallet would spawn at the beginning and push all the others along the track, and the last one would fall off the edge.

13. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

Yes, Pallet Parade. He stated he knew about that in the OP I think. The problem with applying that for this idea, is that crates cannot be destroyed, so the process cannot be repeated..

14. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

As ProtoFury said, there's absolutely no way the crates could respawn and somehow flow right into the cycle. That "recycling" idea is nearly impossible to do in reach... but who doesn't love a challenge, eh?

Suppose you did the conveyor belt in Pallet Parade with fusion coils instead.. slap a couple shield doors on the surface and it could work. And I'm by no means implying that this is an easy task. Believe me. I've attempted recreating Rusty's conveyor belt (in Pallet Parade) and I will tell you, it's the single most difficult thing I've ever built in forge. Even so, it wasn't nearly as perfect as his.

My recommendations: plan, plan, plan, and execute well. Oh, and keep the sides of the conveyor belt COMPLETELY flat... had TONS of trouble with this.

Anywho, you may or may not have read that... but i'll post it anyway.

#14 Monolith, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  15. ZServ

ZServ Ancient

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm done with my latest map, so I'm gonna go ahead and try to come up with some other ideas. As for the first idea, I'm thinking about just going ahead and trying to implement a "Destroy" system; a condensed version of pallet parade essentially. I'll let you guys know!

16. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I actually did use it all the time for things like this. :)

I like the idea for the conveyer and I spent some time yesterday afternoon trying to think how it might work, but I think the crate limit is going to be an insurmountable obstacle. If I understand correctly, the conveyer belt itself is basically made of crates, and you only get 10 of them - not enough for one belt, let alone two.

17. killllllll11488

killllllll11488 Ancient

If you read half of the posts, then you would know that the crates CANNOT be destroyed, sorry for ruening your hopes and dreams.

Actually, I once hid behind a crate with the enemy flag and rode the conveyor belt all the way to score

#17 killllllll11488, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  18. ZServ

ZServ Ancient

"Let me point out a major flaw in the "using crates as the conveyor" method that I don't think anyone has brought up yet--no matter what you do to it's settings, once a crate sustains enough damage, it will eventually disappear and attempt to respawn."
    "As ProtoFury said, there's absolutely no way the crates could respawn and somehow flow right into the cycle. That "recycling" idea is nearly impossible to do in reach... but who doesn't love a challenge, eh?"

Damage; by using fusion coils, do damage. Eventually, it respawns. They can't be destroyed, but they can be reset. If the reset can be controlled variably, then it can be used as an advantage.

19. DunkinMyCookies

DunkinMyCookies Ancient

Leave it to Cosmic Rick.

/Thread.

20. rymcc83

rymcc83 Forerunner

I honestly dont think that this would work, that map has a constantly moving conveyor which we cannot recreate. Man cannons are inherently unpredictable when you attempt to get them doing anything other than firing men/vehicles.

If you put them under the surface of the conveyor you are going to have to orintate them on an angle such as 45 degrees to get some form of forward motion by default.

If you cant control it the cannon will fire the object into the air so the best you will likley get is a kind of lap frog effect - which would be lethal to anyone in the way of the box.