Elevators

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Josh587, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Josh587

Josh587 Forerunner

Hey does anyone know how to make a stable and good elevator? Also do you think its a better idea instead of using trait zones when making a map?

If anyone is willing to make a tutorial of huge and decent elevator, I would be very happy(and many others would be too)

Thanks for the help :)

2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Promethean

ahh... I've done this for an upcoming map. I don't have the ability right now to do a detailed tutuorial w/ screenshots, but here is what I found.

A stable elevator does not seem to be possible. Everything wobbles. Use trait zones instead. But here is how I experiemented with not using them, first. Then I'll describe my current method using trait zones...

The next idea was to use a shield door up against some fusion coils to block the player from destroying the coils or moving past the shield. THen having a mine trigger an event which would destroy the coils safely and allow the player to be pushed up by the mancannon.

fusions (set to fixed)
    shield-door
    player

(this can be used for a solid door mechanism, but not very practical for an elevator)

One problem with that method was that it was impossible (unlike reach) to make an explosion triggered on one side of a wall, go into the wall and up the inside of the wall to come out higher up on the same side. No combination would ever work. You had to make a gap in the wal lto let the explosion into the area you need.

As I said, it finally worked, but only will propel you up as far as that first mancannon.

I liked the idea of having a switch, but after reading more about trait zones, I realized it is the way to go. Doing all this technical shtuff was not worth the effort.

Trait zone Elevator
    Make an elevator shaft with either bridge, wall, or 5x1 block pieces. The 5x1 is the one which is actually really a 5x1 flat, but not named right. It's quite tall too.

The example I have built right now is 7 or 8 blocks high, and this is VERY high when you see it.

Leave the front face of the shaft open for you to experiment with. add it in later whne its finished.

Place a trait zone in that area and shap it exacly like the shaft and just as high.

Set player movement in that zone to be 300% Jump, 50% grav.

It will propel you many blocks high, but you will notice that gravity eventually does slow you down.

Going any higher than this will require mancannons... and it forces you to make the elevator up only. then you have to make a separate down shaft, but that is much simpler.

Find that place where you slow too much, and pLace two mancannons outside of the shaft on the left and right side. Make them phased into the walls so that just the purple effect is coming in at an angle pointed up.

When the player hits this part of the trait zone, they'll slow some, then get rocketed up again by the mancannons and at 300% jump height once more!.

You can keep doing that higher and higher until you run out of block pieces or macannons. I also use some one-way shields with orange pointed up to grab the player safely from the top of the shaft and prevent someone from going down it.

The limit is probably the size of the forge area, not the elevator..

But then, it's not the size of hte shaft, but how you use it ;)