Sandbox Element

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by LIGHTSOUT225, Mar 4, 2009.

1. LIGHTSOUT225

[​IMG]

BY: CREEP1NG DE4TH & LIGHTSOUT225

-DOWNLOAD-

Recommended # of players: 2-8 with 3v3 being the sweet spot
    Recommended gametypes: 1-Flag, Land Grab, Team Slayer
    Supported gametypes: All Slayer variants, All Flag variants, All territories variants.

Element is the result of two experienced forgers 'doin what they do'. The process of "I'll build here, you build there, we'll meet in the middle" is often times a difficult one to turn into a successful map, but this exploratory amalgam from CreepyLIGHTS cleaned up extremely well in the end. Element is a map comprised of varying styles compatible with both mid-range rifle fights and close-range combat with varying levels of elevation throughout, some interesting lines of sight, and some great tactical jumps.

Two opposing bases connected through a series of transitional structures, pathways, and tunnels make One Flag shine in the Sandbox night. All three Territories variants are playable, and all work well in their own unique ways, but Land Grab has a charm all its own here. Epic drawn out bouts for territories are complemented by the circular flow of the map and the variety of player options when traversing it. Element also plays well in both FFA and Team Slayer capacities (Juggernaut can be a blast as well).

Weapon & Equipment Smorgasbord:
    4x Covenant Carbine
    1x Sniper Rifle [1 extra clip]
    1x Beam Rifle
    1x Rocket Launcher [1 extra clip]
    1x Mauler [1 extra clip]
    2x Spiker
    1x SMG
    1x Plasma Rifle
    1x Needler
    1x Plasma Pistol

2x Frag Grenade
    4x Plasma Grenade
    1x Overshield
    1x Deployable Cover
    1x Bubble Shield [symmetric games only]

Total Budget Used: $1304 from a blank canvas. OLN reached.
    Overall Consensus: Sandbawks Rawks.

Note: Teleporters seen in the screenshots are only present in asymmetric games.

Screenshots

Overview
    [​IMG]

Defenders Overview
    [​IMG]

D-Street, sender node in attackers' base connects here.
    NOTE: Highly strategic jump present here, from Overshield into the D-Street window. The reverse is possible as well, yet more difficult. Also, a double jump from overshield ledge to Sniper perch can be a very tactical maneuver.
    [​IMG]

Light Tower
    [​IMG]

Light Tower and Elbow
    [​IMG]

Attackers Overview
    [​IMG]

Mid-Attack room (territory 2). Left ramp leads up to Beam Rifle, then up to Snipe perch.
    [​IMG]

Action shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-DOWNLOAD-

Final Notes:
    Creep and I would like to thank those who have helped test the map thus far, and a big thanks to Bungie for letting us get our hands on the Mythic maps a little early.

There are a couple more tactical jumps present on the map, but you’ll just have to find those yourself :)

2. xxDeeJxx

xxDeeJxx Ancient

Nice map, looks like it has great Asymmetric potential. it's beautifully crafted, and i Love the Pagoda.
    Nice use of the little side railings. this is a Def DL for me.

I don't have the Mythic maps yet, hav'nt been able to get into town to get my Halo Wars yet, but when i do, i'll DL and give you a better reveiw.

Sniper looks kind of overpowering if you get on one of the higher vantage points of the map, but i'm sure you have the balancing fine.

Reminds me of some of the floating Quake III we play from our flash drives in school.
    in a good way.

Edit: and people below me, yeah, we can to better, but he whipped this out pretty fast, you have to give him that.

3. ZANDER1994

ZANDER1994 Ancient

Finally, a good Sandbox map by a good forger. This looks interesting. I will download. However, I am still not BLOWN away by the map. I have yet to see something that used any of sandbox's features besides the fall of death to such extent that it made me think that you could not have done this in foundry. Without the death barrier, I could easily see this being made in foundry. I want to see someone push Sandbox to the point, where I say, WOW this entire map wouldn't have been possible without the skybox, rather than just the floating aspect.

4. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

Hey it has finally been posted! I've been waiting to download ever since i saw it on the main page. i think you are about to get a lot of compliments on the "pagoda." I for one, love the way it looks. In fact, the entire map looks fantastic! I like the jumping involved and the way this map circulates. This is gonna have some lockout style jumps i can tell. I love how many different levels of elevation are included in this map, and I'm glad there are so many ramps! This is gonna be a bit hit, i can already tell. Its probably the best sandbox map so far. But i agree with the guy above me, we can do better. Excellent map for the amount of time you guys put into it though! Okay enough writing, time to download!

5. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Ancient
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

the layout looks phenomenal, however I cant DL it due to the lack of a Halo Wars. The second I pick it up from the store Ill be sure to Download this map.

6. Lance001

Lance001 Ancient

Forgive my ignorance; how did they do the light in the light tower? The white one? I wasn't aware of glowy white things. =)

7. LIGHTSOUT225

we combined the red and blue light. It gives off a warm white hue

8. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Leader

There have been some decent sandbox maps posted, but now we have a new standard. I've been waiting to see what a seasoned vet might come up with. I like the three distinct lighted areas, great for identifying where you are. I also, like that you have built several nearly enclosed rooms that take away the totally open feel that many sky bubble maps have brought to date.

9. Lance001

Lance001 Ancient

While that is fairly awesome (and hopefully will be extensively used)...don't blue and red together make...not white? As in, purple? ^_^

10. LIGHTSOUT225

its more of a desaturated pink.. blame Bungie, perhaps they should have payed a bit more attention in their color theory class lol.

11. Yeti

Yeti Ancient

It lights the surrounding objects in a very light purple. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the epicenter of the light is definitely white.

Anyway, good job on the map. I only went around the map for a little bit, but it seems like it would be really fun for FFA in my opinion.

12. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Finally a good looking map on Sandbox by a good forger. While this map doesn't look like it will leave me drooling for more after a game on it, the map does look exceptionally good. I really like the asymmetrical look of it and it looks good for one sided games and KOTH. I'll definitely have to look at this.

EDIT* I didn't see KOTH on the gametypes supported. I think KOTH would excel on this map and I really think you should update with KOTH.

13. B3NJ4M1N08

B3NJ4M1N08 Ancient

Awesome. I would expect nothing less from either forger. This is a map that gives me another reason to hate myself for not getting Halo Wars. This will be one of the first maps I'll DL when the maps release on Marketplace. BTW, when is that exactly?

Edit: My bad, I just saw the thread that considers this spamming since I don't have the maps yet. I did it on one other post and I apologized. Sorry again!

14. LIGHTSOUT225

Yeh, we were disappointed we hit the OLN before we could implement it.. because lord knows we wanted to. But we do have Territories supported along with CTF and Slayer.. and if you ever played our previous collaboration, Verbatim (which shined with Land Grab), well... this plays even better with it.

We highly recommend Land Grab and One Flag.

15. C0RRUPTl0N

C0RRUPTl0N Ancient

Seriously, if this is featured I quit forge hub... no.. but you both think you can just start floating maps on sanbox and because your leaders your going to feature, when I put 3 months into my floats and dont make it. Anyway, love the map. Love the gameplay, but Im going to beat it with a map on Avalanche and it floats too. Not trying to be a jerk or even, advertise my self, but setting things on a grid line makes it way easier for you both to get the credit of a floating map... I love it though, and mean no shame, just realize I take months on my floated maps, I think it might be that it's so easy to float them on sandbox. What ever, this will feature and mines thats comming out in 3 days is color coated and perfect and wont... thats polital as can be... Love the map though... I sound retarded I know...5/5

16. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I didn't know objective items were implemented into the OLN. That sucks though. Maybe you could delete 4 or 5 spawns and get KOTH in it.

17. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Stop attempting to pat yourself on the back so much, it makes you look like a tool. Seriously, GTFO like you just threatened to do.

OT, I really enjoyed the 1v1 I played with my wife this evening. Pretty fast paced even in that setting, and it made me anxious to try team games. Hit me up when you want to play dude. I'm totally gonna be on your team.

18. penguin asassin

penguin asassin Ancient

you know what, i just noticed something, is there any interlocking on this map? If there isn't then you get a pat on the back for making it so smooooth. Like a babies butt, even though it's made out of sandstone :p. I like the use of the slit wall thing's Can't wait to give this a go

19. LIGHTSOUT225

this entire post is riduculous. please stay out of my thread from now on. you dont see me coming into your threads and hassling you... so please, do not post here again.

20. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

Seeing this map makes me crave Sandbox evan more :)

I wish I could do a forge through but from the pictures I am assuming the line of sight is pretty well layed out, your different structures fit nicely together and I am a huge fan of the narrow walkways (specially by the overshield).

I can't wait to DL, maps like these are what keeps FH going. 5/5