Elegy

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by RightSideTheory, Feb 1, 2013.

?

What do you think of this feature?

1. Not my style

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Okay

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Average

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Good

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Great

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

[​IMG]

Elegy
    By | [user]Urban Myth[/user]

Players | 4 - 8 (Default)
    Gametypes | Slayer, Koth, Multi-Team

Elegy is a lovingly crafted homage to Epitaph, and the winner of our recent "Forgotten Treasures III" contest. This map truly is a 'treasure', showcasing gorgeous aesthetics alongside the solid and competitive gameplay that the layout of Epitaph offers. Urban Myths talent clearly shines through on this map, made apparent by the smooth lines and general aesthetic theme inherent throughout the entire map. Impact is used to full advantage on this map, and players will quickly forget they're playing on a completely forged space, backed by a killer skybox. The gameplay on this map also begs more and more games from custom lobbies, keeping enthusiasts coming back time and time again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have seen a map floating around the board that you think is worthy of a feature then head on over to recommend that map for a feature. Additionally, if you have any questions about this article in specific feel free to voice them in our front page feedback.​

2. Zatherla

Zatherla Sweet Lemonade

Hey look, This thread is up!
    Congratz Urban on the contest, you deserved it. This map is very true to the original that it is indescribable. I couldn't have done it better myself, well deserved. It earned a permanent spot on my hard drive.

3. Urban Myth

Urban Myth Ancient

Holy balls... I didn't see this coming at all, thank you soooo much 4Chub!

[​IMG]

4. AussieForger

AussieForger Promethean

Elegy is a lovingly crafted homage to Epitaph, and the winner of our recent "Forgotten Treasures III" contest. This map truly is a 'treasure', showcasing gorgeous aesthetics alongside the solid and competitive gameplay that the layout of Epitaph offers. Urban Myths talent clearly shines through on this map, made apparent by the smooth lines and general aesthetic theme inherent throughout the entire map. Impact is used to full advantage on this map, and players will quickly forget they're playing on a completely forged space, backed by a killer skybox. The gameplay on this map also begs more and more games from custom lobbies, keeping enthusiasts coming back time and time again.

This is just your opinion, "Urban Myths talent clearly shines through on this map, made apparent by the smooth lines and general aesthetic theme inherent throughout the entire map. " i dont believe this at all, played a custom on this map, didnt feel anything like the epitaph, found some gaps and floor pieces that dont line up properly, i dont know about everyone else or why this map has so much praise from people on here, clearly most people dont remember epitaph enough to realise this has many problem areas.........

5. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Dem quality photos...

Nice map! Epitaph was never my favorite, but this looks cool as ****.

6. Astiir

Astiir Promethean

Congrats, map looks brill. Seems like you've kept it true to the original :)

7. Waterfall

Waterfall Promethean

We don't like sore losers here.

Anyways, looks good from the pics congrats on your feature.

8. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

By and large the best epilogue remake ever.

Btw those pictures don't do it justice *cough*

9. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Urban you just cant stay out of the spotlight can you? Congrats buddy!

And you guys couldn't take a couple pics of it yourself? sheesh!

10. UberAURORA

UberAURORA Promethean

I really think people should take some comparison screenshots of certain things in this map. There are quite a lot of places that are completely wrong. Most people thought that I and my friend were just being sore losers in the results thread but what people don't realize is that their memory is failing them here.

This is not my opinion its fact, I went and took some comparison screenshots just to prove to myself that there are various parts of this map that are for lack of a better word "inaccurate". I don't feel its right to post them on here and I could be wrong but it is probably against the FH rules and regulations. Though, I can assure you if you were to compare identical screenshots you will see it for yourself. Some notable areas are; the walkway behind the main gravity lift, the two rooms that extend from the main hallway, the braces used to recreate the columns along the main hallway and the fact there is an inclined part to the outside walkway at the back of the map.

We aren't sore losers, we simply compared it to the original and found a lot of inaccuracies with the map. Myself and many others believe that there were quite a few other maps in the contest that deserved higher praise than this map. In the words of the heretic leader "The Prophets are blind Arbiter, but I will make them see."

11. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary

Technically the only way to take in-game pictures violates the Microsoft Terms-and-Agreements. We obviously cannot officially condone violating these rules... but we can not make a big fuss about our members doing it in the forums until a decent alternative is offered by 343i.

12. Dax

Dax Mhmm.

Congrats Urban! Regardless of how true it is to the original Epitaph, this is still a fantastic map. Definitely deserving :)

13. Silentraine

Silentraine Forerunner

Congrats on the feature, regardless of how accurate it truly is, which is not very.

Alot of areas are much smaller than the original, especially the lift areas, and some areas are simply way to large as well and have gaps in the floor and railings and other issues. I feel this map was not tested and looked over enough, as the frame rate has also proven to be a issue with this map, as well as the problem areas. I would imagine anyone who says something about the map being inaccurate and such has a point and is not being a sore loser or whatever people are saying.

Regardless, congrats on your feature and hopefully you will begin to improve your designs from here on.

14. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Well that's reasonable. Virtual highfive. Virtual highfives for everyone! :)

15. AussieForger

AussieForger Promethean

See im not the onky one who feels this way about this average epitaph remake, but yet some how it won over the judges lol, they must be blind or something

16. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

This is the map I was planning to remake. I, personally, liked the remake & besides the frame rate issue I think it's great. I also think its ridiculous to see people coming in here & crying about the pick. I understand you may have worked hard on your own map but face it, you lost & he won. Whether or not that affects your reasons behind griping about Urbans win, you shouldn't disrespect his glory thread like this. He didn't judge it, he built the map & submitted it.

Here's to you Urbanmyth! Congrats to you and your victory!

17. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

I cannot believe you guys didn't take proper photos because of some ToS snafu. Not to mention there are people on-staff with capture cards. That's horrible. hahahhah

****, let me know next time and I'll grab them for you.

18. Urban Myth

Urban Myth Ancient

I have to say thanks again to the Forgehub community, the love does outweigh the hate. However, I do think that this will be the last time I enter a remake contest due to the ridiculous backlash that my map is still receiving. :/

19. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

That's silly. You made a great map and you won a contest. If people are mad at you then they clearly don't have any idea who was judging (not you). If you want to do another remake contest you should. If people give you grief about winning, just say that you only made the map, you didn't make it win! So once again. That quote is silly.

I have yet to play a a game here, but the map looks great and I'd like to play. If I ever get in a 4v4 lobby and need a map, I'll see if I can pull this one up. You have a great style of forging, and honestly I'm rather jealous. Congratulations on your well deserved victory in the contest.

20. Urban Myth

Urban Myth Ancient

Thanks audience, like I said, the love does outweigh the hate. I would recommend playing multi team (red, blue, yellow, green) as apposed to 4v4.

And just to be clear, I'm happy with my map but I feel like things have changed here. I also had a feature for remaking ivory tower in Halo 3, it was waaay more inaccurate than Elegy and I received no hate really. Now you've got a locked thread for the forgotten treasures contest because of spam and hate, and they still come to this thread to continue doing the same thing. I just don't feel winning is worth this ridiculous drama.

#20 Urban Myth, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013