Elation

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Cosmic Rick, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Sanghelios

Sanghelios Ancient

What kind of map do you consider this to be?

Also, I liked the tour-style review as was mentioned. The map looks clean, and I was elated when I read about the elevator. Then I realized it was one of those manually operated ones where you just throw a grav lift under a crate. I thought you meant you had created a real, automatic elevator that goes up really high. I don't really see the point of these manual ones. Can't you just use the grav lift without the crate?

2. RossDawgg

RossDawgg Ancient

Forget what I said about the messy part, when I played it earlier it look great. It was so well constructed and thought out. I love the step ups you did in the corners. Never thought of that before.

3. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

The initial Wraith turret was pretty awesome, but I have to say, it is much better without it.

This is a very well balanced map, and is amazing when used with large servings of teamwork. I like it.

4. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

Man this looks like a blast! Your display of your post was excellent as well. - Brute Captain

5. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

DAS Boot!

6. abixenator

abixenator Ancient

It looks fun. The overall aesthetics/design of the map flows smoothly and it isn't crazy overpowered with fuel rod guns and 5 gravity hammers. Well done.

7. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

The bomb spawns and teleporters in picture #2, are you using those to keep the box from moving?

8. mrod009

mrod009 Ancient

the elevator can be used to escape. they could be chasin u and u drop a lift n it takes u up but they cant get up. if u dropped a grav lift without the elevator then both people could get up n it wouldnt be a good escape.

9. Critical Ghost

Critical Ghost Ancient

10. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

[br]Elation by Cosmic Rick [​IMG][br][br] 8/10

[img width=540]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2947/toptobackvd0.jpg[/img]

Hold the high ground. Hold the power weapons. Hold the elevator!

We played Multi-Flag CTF and Multi-Bomb

Enjoyment: I had a lot of fun on this map each time I’ve played it. There are a couple paths from base to base, and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Whenever I got killed on one part of the map, I went somewhere else, and had fun discovering another little part of Elation. I think this map succeeds at the single most important part of making a map fun: create interesting map geometry to maximize the variability of player encounters. Basically I mean that players can fight it out many different ways, so battles are fun for the first time and the 50th time. I’ve played this map several times and several different ways, and I’m still having fun on it.

Balance: Each side is symmetrical, and each side is balanced. No single weapon seems unbalanced or too powerful.

Durability: I noticed no spawn killing in any of the games I’ve played here. And the whole map is used, so there’s no concern about escaping. And I didn’t notice any spot that a player could reach to get an unfair advantage.

Aesthetics: This map doesn’t look good in my opinion. The center seems very boxy, and there are a few too many right angles for my tastes. But the gameplay is there, so Aesthetics is a secondary concern. And the map does look very unique, so I never had trouble getting my bearings, and I never forgot where I was going. The aesthetics don’t do much to immerse me in the game, but they do their job of orienting me within the level.

Originality: I haven’t seen anyone use the elevator in a competitive map before, but the idea itself isn’t new. I do like the fact that the Ghosts are tucked away in the middle somewhere. Most level designers would have put them in the base for easy access, and it would have changed the way the map is played for the worse. The map has a unique feel and flow to it, which I can’t quite put my finger on. I like it.

Overall: I really like maps where it’s difficult to get to the flag but once you do, it’s much easier to keep it moving. If you ever played Relic from Halo 2, you know what I’m talking about. I like this map because once you get your hands on the flag and teleport, you’ve got a good chance of capturing it.

You’ve put a lot of emphasis on the elevators. But in my opinion, they aren’t even a big part of the map. I’ve used them one time in my 4-5 games here. I don’t like grav lifts, and I don’t like standing still waiting to reach the second floor. I’d rather be running around and shooting people. And I get plenty of opportunities to do that on this map.

Everyone should play a game or two on this map. I think I need to make this one of my favorites. I mean, there isn’t really anything Earth-shattering about this map, but I always have a blast playing it.

P.S. 1000th post calls for my first "squirrel" ever. :squirrel_chatting:

11. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

This map seems to be getting received pretty well Rick!

No, they're set up like that for aesthetic purposes.

12. sparten45

sparten45 Ancient

Cool unique map Qued

13. LIGHTSOUT225

the elevator is genius Cosmic, thats about as good as it can get. i wasnt really following yo when you were explaining it to me the other day during grifball, but its dope. i also like how you lined the fence walls with the sheild doors...adds a different element to grenades. and the little hideouts housing the shotguns are pretty tight too. well done, im gonna try and get some games goin on this pretty soon.

14. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Lol. Two downloads? I don't know if it's that good.

Yes, that was me. And to top it off, I managed to escape WHILE carrying a turret up the elevator. Glad you enjoyed your time in Elation, though.

I think it's just a touch too high to get up without the crate under you. Plus this way, I can define the movement a little more. Make it play the way I want, you know?

DAS BOOT!!!

Oh, so you only call me ridiculous nicknames when my maps AREN'T getting well received? I see how it is. And thanks for answering that question. Of course they're not. Those boxes are stationary objects to start with. The bomb spawn is 'cause I wanted something a little different, and the teleporter's a weak throwback to Furious' exacted flower.

Thanks, Furious. I'm glad you like the way the map plays. And I know what you mean about aesthetics. I'm trying to get rid of the boxiness with my next map (about half done with the initial building), but it's difficult when you're making big maps. The item limit gets you before you can start making pretty curved walls and flowers.

Let me know if you need an extra player. I promise to be better at my own map than I am at Grifball.

15. blamedraptor

blamedraptor Ancient

this is cool
    qued

16. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Oh, and thanks for the Furious' favorite status, Furious. It feels very prestigious... in the good sense of the word... not the I-have-to-kill-my-clone-every-time-I-do-a-magic-show kind of way.

And to everyone else who I didn't respond to directly: Thanks. As always.

17. Critical Ghost

Critical Ghost Ancient

not bad but some of ur pics dont work

18. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Critical, they're all working on my comp... and my lab comp... and my school comp. And more people usually complain when a pic isn't showing. Which ones aren't working for you? Or do you just mean they don't 'work'? lol.

19. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

20. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

I can't really tell from the pics whether this would be any good or not. Some of them looked like open Foundry, and some of them looked like a cool map. Well there a lot of posts here that says that it's good, I'm going to download it and try it out. And after I do, I'll post again. :squirrel_wink: