Sandbox Eighty Grit

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Tesai, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Tesai

Tesai Ancient

[​IMG]

Eighty Grit (by Tesai) - This abrasive enviroment has been known to hone the finest soldiers.
    6-10 players. Supports all gametypes.
    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

80Grit has become my pride and joy. It is, by far, the best map I've released to date. Created on Sandbox's middle ground, it's an asymmetric build with a symmetric feel. I've drawn inspiration from some of my all time favorite Halo maps. Red base was loosely based on Blood Gulch, whilst Blue base is a completely new and balanced counterpart. The broken down arch could just be remnants of Beaver Creek. Do you remember the Stone forests from Hang 'Em High? Although inspiration was drawn from old maps, this one is a whole new animal. I've made sure to include identifiable call out points, such as: Anvil, Red Rocks, Blue Rocks, The Pit/OV, Diamond/Camo, etc. A special thanks goes to Cosmic Rick for offering/suggesting I copy Utah Mambo's spawn system. With a few tweaks, it has worked very well for 80Grit. Weapon placement and balance has been dialed in. Vehicles also balance perfectly. The Warthog works great for perimeter control, and the Chopper tears it up in the center cover areas. The greatest thing about 80Grit is that it plays similar to many Bungie default maps, very intuitive for casual gamers, but meaty enough for the core gamer crowds.​

As far as suggested settings go, AR starts and Standard Settings work really well. I think it's a bit more fun with asymmetric gametypes, but I'm partial to those in the first place. It works great for both.​

Alot of you may not know me. I am Seraph over at The GoO. I've got a ton of testing done through those guys, but I think this map deserves the attention that only FH can offer. But if you would like, you can see my original Portfolio entry at GoO.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weapons:
    BR x8
    Carbine x2
    Needler x2
    Sniper Rifle x2
    Shotgun x2
    Mauler x2
    Plasma Pistol
    Bruteshot x2
    Rockets x2
    Spartan Laser x1​

Equipment:
    Frag Grenade x4
    Plasma Grenade x8
    Regeneration x2
    Power Drain x2
    Bubble Shield x2
    Active Camo x1
    Overshield x1
    Grav Lift x1​

Vehicles:
    Warthog x2
    Chopper x2
    Mongoose x2​

[​IMG]

Eighty Grit? - Atlas Submission with trial changes* - Accepted into Bungie Vs. World Playlist!

*Trial changes include:
    -Man Cannons interlocked in central Anvil for easy access to Splaser
    Although I personally like the dynamic of the Grav Lift, I've heard many requests to change this. So here you are, some man-cannons interlocked into the Glyph sides of the Anvil.
    -Splaser spawn time increased to 180 sec.
    Result of making it more accessible.
    -Shotguns reduced to 0 spare clips
    I still love the placement, so I've decided to just try reducing the amount of ammo.
    -Bruteshots reduced to 1 spare clip
    See above.
    -Snipers reduced to 0 spare clips and 90 sec. respawn.
    This change I think makes the most sense. The previous setting (1 Spare Clip: 180 sec. respawn) allowed a good Sniper to take 8 shots to the top of the dune above Blue Base, and pop heads for a short while. At 4 shots per 90 seconds, you essentially have the same amount of ammo throughout the match, but less of a chance that someone will walk all the way to the top of the dune with only 4 shots.
    -Two spawns in Red base reoriented toward front of base.
    To help prevent the disorientation Red base sometimes causes.

#1 Tesai, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. MrCasperTom

MrCasperTom Ancient

Pfft is my attention not going enough for you Tesai lol.

Right first off, played most game types on this map and I do think it works brilliantly for them.

I think the map works best with One Flag and One Bomb, although Neutral Bomb and Team slayer were fun and worked fine on the map.

The round base is epic. It looks good and plays well, with enough entrances and the large ramp on the bases is nicely done.

Weapons set-up is brillant and the vechiles don't over balance the map. In fact, unlike some other maps I played, they never dominated the games but still made an effect. In fact the chopped splattered me a few times but thats because I forgot to jump.

Aesthetics are lovely, my favourite being the star thing in the middle where the neutral bomb is placed. Plus if you crouch you can hide in it lol.

In fact the only problem I found in it wasn't really a problem at all. I don't know if you know but you can get on the red light above the base. Its not a big deal as it leaves you open to BRs and Snipers but I thought I would tell you just in case you didn't want that to happen.

Everyone should at least download this and give it a go. I don't think you will regret it.
    [​IMG]

3. ezekeil20five17

ezekeil20five17 Ancient

I really like this map everything about works very well and is built to a very high standard

The thing I like most is the way its at a slight angle so you get the most out of the map,I didn't even notice it was until I saw those pictures

Visually its great as its simple to see what the layout is from pretty much where ever you spawn

The round base is superb it looks great and has so many nice areas good entrances,good exits and the large ramp is very cool

The anvils are a really nice touch as they add hieght without giving a major advantage and they look interesting as do the column areas they also provide good cover a nice areas to fight in

The weapon layout is spot on not too powerful but enough to keep things dangerous,I like the laser placement a lot because you have to choose to sacrifice that oh so much fun grav lift to get it and the use of sniper rifles so many maps have them and they just totally over power everything

I like the choopers too again not enough space that they rule the map but enough to get them going

This a a top notch map download it NOW!!!

4. ABQ Maxington

ABQ Maxington Ancient

very nicely done map.i like how you have combined features from many other maps but given them your own spin off. i will dl and try it out. nice work 5/5

5. siberian w0lf

siberian w0lf Ancient

Great map! The structures are very well built, satisfying gameplay and aesthetic needs of the map. I also love that round star structure in the middle. The weapons and vehicle layout are great for 4v4 and big team matches alike. Great job.

6. Smeagle

Smeagle Ancient

Like I told you during testing, Eighty feels like and plays like a great combination of the default Sandbox layout and Coagulation. Everything placed is equally balanced, and all around the best evar. I would add a bit more, but unfortunately, I am not the best reviewer. I only came to show my support for the coolest cat this side of town. Tessy rules.

#6 Smeagle, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. Mace

Mace Old Tyme

Hello Tes! Can I call ya' that? *clears throat*
    Well, the map looks great. As I can see, and tell from the perfectly short-ish read, you've taken inspirations from various and sundry Halo Maps, and it looks like you've done a spectacular job. Red base actualy reminds me of a structure in an old BattleFront 2 map, which was quite fun to play heros v.s. villians on. Due to the fact that I'm on the road, I don't have my 'box. I shall refrain from giving andy advice/critisism, as I have not yet played the map, however, it is however on the old 'que, and I shall play this upon my return.

8. AlexIsCoool

AlexIsCoool Ancient

This map looks really nice. The creativity of the objects in combination with the cleanliness of the interlocking gives my eyes orgasms.

You should make the broken down arches longer and higher. Since you can not see what these are unless you read the map description. It will be amazing seeing two monoliths over the map.

Maybe continue the blood gulch base upwards with Huge wedges, it would look really nice. Assuming you have enough left.

Great job do another.

9. philthyphillup

philthyphillup Ancient

Yes Tes! This map is amazingly fun! I can't believe how
    well it plays both symmetric and asymmetric games!
    No need for me to DL though, already got it!

10. RichIBuildJumps

RichIBuildJumps Ancient

This looks absolutely fantastic, some incredible structures and unique forgery. My initial worry is the camo and overshield, they look slightly closer to the left base (from the overview) but hopefully the spawn placement compensates for this :) But maybe players have to cover more open ground on one side than the other. I love how it is asymmetric but feels symmetric, I know totally what you mean. I know this is quite a large map, but I think it has too many power weapons? Maybe you could put my mind at ease with respawns and spare clips :) I do like how the vehicles will be almost useless on this map, with the power drains, plasma pistol and laser, I hate getting hit by choppers. More than anything.
    Overall I think this looks incredible and is definately worth a download, I would but I cannot at the moment as I'm too busy.
    Next feature?
    8/10
    R

11. MrCasperTom

MrCasperTom Ancient

The Overshield and the active camo are equal distances from each base as far as I could tell when I played it. I can however see how you would come to the conclusion from the map and looking at it I sort of think that myself but there was equal chance of both teams getting it.

To be honest I never really felt the impact of the power weapons. I got killed by a rocket now and again but not enough to hate them on the map and the Spartan Lasar I never found due to the cunning placement which you have to place down a grav lift to get to it. I only found that out after the games we played.

12. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

Tesai 80 Grit is incredible, I'm glad it's being so well-received by everyone. That 3 man game we had on it was surprisingly fun, as we talked about. I didn't get a chance to play with the larger group but I just wanted to point out to everyone that the weapon spread and fine cover makes for a great game of FFA slayer.

Of course I don't have to say it, anyone can tell from the pictures, but I can't resist commenting on the amazing aesthetics of the structures. They look fantastic. Great map, man!!

13. NOV3D

NOV3D Ancient

xX-Executioner-Xx

Appearance- 1.8-Master Piece
    game play- 1.6-Heave On Forge
    Originality- 0.5-Exotic
    presentation- 0.4-Entertaining

Over all= 4/5

This is a great map. :)
    Tho my teammates thought the game play could have been better with a little bit more spots that you could shoot from. Added to the bases. I thought it was all around fun. :)
    Good Job. :)
    PS: Great job on red base very original.

14. jameslieb1

jameslieb1 Ancient

great map. nice asthrtics and looks like it plays amazingly. 5/5.

i can see a feature

15. Psycho

Psycho Ancient

I didn't know you posted it here! :)

Eighty Grit:

Gameplay:
    Tesai, I'm not sure how long you spent designing this map, but it must have been a very long time. Every object has a purpose and nothing feels like 'cover'. What I mean is nothing is placed on the map that blocks lines of sight or vehicle movement paths. I really enjoyed how well the Red Base played in Bomb gametypes because it was easy and difficult to defend an armed bomb at the same time. During testing, I attempted to memorize all the entry points, but I never actually did because I was always trying to be on guard while defending. I remember one moment when Lightsout and I were trying to defend the armed bomb and it was 2v4 (two players dead on our team). It was the most intense feeling I've ever had in a game of 4v4 One Bomb because you never knew which door the enemy was going to enter from. Lights even found some side entrance that I never saw and this was the most creative Bomb plant spot on the map. It really seemed to me as if you designed the map a specific way for each gametype. You didn't simply throw some bomb plant spots and spawns on the map to finish it.

Aesthetics:
    The aesthetics on Eighty Grit are incredible. Those subtle little objects that are included with Eighty Grit really make the map enjoyable to play on over and over. My two favorite structures on the map are the Rocket spawns and the Red Base.

Rockets:
    I really felt that the Rocket spawn fit well with the overall theme of the map. The small blocks under the geomerged half block go along great with the rocky theme I was getting from Eighty Grit.

Red Base:
    The Blood Gulch inspiration worked perfectly. As I mentioned previously in the Gameplay section, the Red Base looks amazing and plays perfectly. I love how you use the angled blocks to build the outside and used red pillars to fill in the spaces and give it the improved "Red" appearance.

Weapons and Equipment:
    Every weapon from the sniper to the rockets were placed nicely. The only weapons issue I found was the sniper placement. The first test, I was unable to find the sniper on the outskirts of the map until you told me. My suggestion would be to first add a blue/red light interlocked with the block to create a glow that will attract players' attention. However, you are out of colored lights so the next best thing is mixing overshields/camo/custom power-ups to add a little color, thus attracting players.

Forging:
    You did an outstanding job with the forging of Eighty Grit. I haven't attempted geomerging yet, but I'm sure it took you a while to get it as perfectly as you have it. The Rocket Spawn and the Sniper Spawns are very appealing to the eye. I don't have much to say about this other than you did a nice job merging and interlocking cleanly. '_'

Overall:
    Tesai, I'm glad you let me test out Eighty Grit a lot and you are a great forger. Your merging and interlocking is flawless and the design of Grit is outstanding. Hopefully, Eighty Grit will be considered for a feature in the near future! :D

16. sleeper7642

sleeper7642 Ancient

Well, looks like a great map. Your merging, interlocking, and aesthetics are great, and the map looks very balanced. This may just deserve a feature! Oh, BTW, putting a visual filter on a competitive map in general is a stupid, stupid idea. They make the screenshot harder to view, reduce visibility, and make gameplay difficult and frustrating. 4.5/5.

~Sleeper7642

17. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

Such strong language there, neighbor!!

Around here commenting on a map that you haven't downloaded or otherwise played on is strongly discouraged. Everyone who has seen the map knows that you haven't actually set foot in it because there are no color filters on the map. Don't just make comments based on the pictures!! At a minimum, you should look at it in forge.

The pictures look fine, anyway.

18. sourdauer

sourdauer Ancient

sup tesai, awsome map bro. i saw this a while ago and gave it a download, im glad i didn't comment on it though, because after playing this map i have so much more to praise you on.

the map:
    it's balanced, its beautifull, and weapon placement is top notch. really, i havent seen a sandbox map this good since Utah Mambo. that being said, there are a few things that need fixing. Predicide already did i review, so i will keep my constructive criticism short. like he mentioned, the sniper rifle is hard to find and not very obvious. i personally don't like the sniper rifles in this map, but if you do keep them i would do as predicide suggested and add some distinguishing features to the spawn place.

secondly, and this is a little much to ask, but i think you should make the center area a little more asymetrical. the bases are amazing and the grav-lift spartain lazer spawn is righteous, but the pyramid-esque structures are boring and really simple. idk, they just bug the crap out of me, but maybe that's just me.

regardless, i would be surprized if this doesn't get featured.

19. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

My latest favorite thing in Halo is the chopper (as you all know) and my latest favorite map for the chopper is 80 Grit. I remember getting something like 7 comepletely BS chopper splatters in a single slayer game on this map. It was excellent.

The crazy power-weapon setup brings me back to the days of Kentucky Tango... and those were good days for me. They all add something to this map and I love it.

Plus, Red base is beautiful, and you made great use of the sand dunes. Glad you decided to copy the Utah Mambo setup for spawns etc... Bungie default style really works well on larger maps like this.

Nice work overall, dude.

20. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

Eighty Grit is incredibly well-balanced and a real blast to play on. It really does feel like a reimagination of coag. I had a great time on all the gametypes we ran it through the other night, whether it was 3v3 or 4v4 it still played amazingly well.

I've got to say One Bomb was my least favorite of the gametypes to play on it. King, CTF, TS were all amazing. The red base in phenomenally awesome, and the structures you placed in the center are something everyone should learn from, including me!

All in all, and very well designed and perfectly balanced commpetitive map.
    Dont forget to submit to the FH Map Database if you didnt already!

Forge Hub Map Database

great job, i look forward to more games on this. are you submitting to Atlas?