Dyad

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by What's A Scope?, Aug 9, 2010.

?

What do you think of this map?

1. Not my style

11.4%
  2. Okay

11.4%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Good

28.6%
  5. Great

42.9%
  1. TurretFrog

TurretFrog Ancient

First of all, congratulations! Second, I thought this map already got featured, huh, maybe not. Perhaps I just had a vision of this map being featured when I first saw it.

Anyway, I've yet to actually walk around in the map but it does look nice. I love seeing a map use the wood planks seamlessly with the stone blocks, plus, the fact that it is built into the dunes is nice, too. I do have to say that the two ramps that go down into the dunes that are off center from each other throws me off every time I look at it. I'm not saying it's bad, it just looks slightly weird from an overhead view. Sure wish I could get a full game in on this, looks fun!

Congratulations again, I just knew this map was going to be featured when I first saw it!

2. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I remember testing this map, intially I found it rather confusing in the aspect it took a little longer than usual to know exactly where I was in correspondance to where I just died. One of the points I put forward was to add lighting over just one side of the map if anything or add something largely visible in the corridors / pathways to make them that bit more distinguishable.

All in all, it played rather well from what I can remember (i also sucked at trying to jump on the window ledge at OS Spawn?) but I did feel lost a few times. It's a nice map, and the gameplay is there, but in my honest opinion, it wasn't something I expected to see featured so soon.

However, I don't speak for forgehub so Congratulations :)

3. Spartanchief34

Spartanchief34 Forerunner

This map is above average to say the least. When I downloaded found that this map work especailly well with team swat. One thing though all of a sudden today you pics are not showing up they say upgrade to photobucket pro, this seems to be a problem

4. PatchworkZombie

PatchworkZombie Forerunner

I tested this map in doubles and there is a huge spawn problem at the beginning where one of your teammates spawns underneath the other teams base.

Maybe it doesn't happen very often but it should be fixed. The map is also easily escpable.

5. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

The pictures are back up. The spawn problem you mentioned was probably a bug in his spawn system squashed after testing.

6. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Hey, I member this. I don't think I was ever in a testing session, though I was with you and Theo when we were looking at it. Anyways, I'm just going to say that this map is incredible. More than anything else, I love the layout. It's such a refreshing breakaway from the usual 90 and 45 degree turns, and just the fact that it's on the main level makes it all the better. Congrats Adelyss, may the forge be with you in Reach.

7. PatchworkZombie

No when I say tested I don't mean before he posted it. This map has a massive spawn problem and anyone who plays on it will realize.

What I want to know is who decides these features? The administrators? The author's best friends?

I think we should some kind of system involving the Review Hub, where maybe if you get a certain amount of recommendations you can have you're map reviewed by about 3 different Review Hub members, then if you're map does good enough, you're featured.

The idea might need ironing out a bit more but in my opinion it's better than just having whatever the admins want on the front-page. I respect them as they run the site but nothing really qualifies them as forge experts.

#27 PatchworkZombie, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

I totally agree J Fox. I really do wish it was more community decided. Something to do with the Review Hub and some community voting.

9. Spawn of Saltine

Better to take this to Customer service, but there is a thread that lets you recommend maps to be featured and if you haven't noticed..a lot of the features come from that thread. So there is a lot of community opinion.

10. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

I have played several games on this and I have never seen this problem.

Ultimately, it is up to the Staff. However, other members can recommend maps. Here is the thread. We look at every map suggested.

I don't really understand the problem with the admins choosing maps (which is not even how it happens). It is a general agreement between the Staff.

I don't really see the point of that process. The scores given by the review hub help the staff find feature worthy maps. For example, the map Pinball was recommended in the thread I mentioned and was reviewed, receiving a high score. It was featured. There should be no reason to require 3 different members because the RH is unbiased and the scores would not vary by much.

Perhaps when you run your own site, you can feature whatever content you want. You can't expect the people that run the site to not be the ones in charge of a feature process.

Letting the community decide in theory is great. In reality, it is not. We have seen in past events that people will just ask many of their friends to vote. This causes features to mean less. Thus, it's counter-productive as a whole.

However, there are some events that are chosen by the community. See: FHF and BoF.

Instead of bashing the maps and the systems, why not help us by suggesting maps?

11. Dow

Dow Ancient

It's wierd seeing you post this scope >_>

12. Adelyss

Adelyss Hotdishhh

The spawn problem you mentioned must of been a fluke in the spawning system. The reason I say this is because I have a Starting spawn point and like literally right next to it is a spawn point. Since the game picks your teammate start spawns by the closest spawn points to the starting spawn it should NEVER happen.

The reason your teammate probably spawned underneath the other teams base is because the game had a lag attack while you where starting the game and the spawn system tweaked and put the extra two people in the 3rd and 4th start spawns which are there for FFA reasons...and they are set as 3rd and 4th so it's not on my part. So please stop thinking the map has a horrible spawn problem when it's really the game tweaking lol. Also if you have a video of the game I'd actually like to see it..from the start to the end so I can prove my point.

13. PatchworkZombie

Here's a suggestion. Next time play the maps before you feature them...

Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Details

14. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

I had never seen this problem, so I investigated. I started 5 games of 2v2 Team Slayer. The starting spawns worked fine every time. I have all 5 vids if you wanna see them.

15. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

I have so much to say on the subject on the feature system,etc but as I forewarned this thread is for discussion of the map and the map only. If you want to debate how falible we are bring it to the feedback thread. From this point forward if anyone posts anything unrelated to the map infractions will follow.

16. Creeping Death

Creeping Death What's a Halo?

Sorry, I just had to LOL at this. I mean you do realize that most Staff members have Features, and in some cases multiple features, right? Case in point: I was once a Staff member and voted on many maps that graced the front page, I also have 4 Features of my own. Does this not make me somewhat of an expert? The same is true with many other current and former Staff members. And some of them are also current or former TG or RH. So in a nut shell the Staff is more than capable of selecting Feature worthy maps. So rest easy tonight my sweet prince, all is just fine at FH.

17. XtK ReApeR

XtK ReApeR Ancient

EXCELLENT map. I played 2v2 with my friends and it was great, and well balanced. :)

Good job!

+1 internetsz to you!!

18. IvimpuIsivevI

IvimpuIsivevI Forerunner

I like maps that look perfect, they take much longer to build in H3 but they are worth it. Ill have to get on H3 again to check this map out, good job on forging