Debate Do violent video games make violent kids?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by texturedlemur, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Rawring Marco

Rawring Marco Ancient

I don't think violent games make violent kids, I'm 13 and would never attack someone for no point unlike other kids who just attack for no reason without playing violent games. The only time I would ever think of hurting someone would be in protecting myself

2. KsqueaK

KsqueaK Ancient

i really want to read all 13 pages to have a good response but i am way to lazy for that right now so ill just throw my 2 cents in.

i am 100% sure that violent video games DO NOT make violent kids.
    its all bad parenting. proof of the bad parenting is the parents blaming the games instead of them selves.

ive been playing games since i was born, and i dont go around shooting people or beating the crap out of everyone i see.

3. El Diablo

El Diablo Ancient

4. RabidZergling

RabidZergling Ancient

You're mistaking the probability of violence with a cause of violence. Video games are played by many, many kids. The chances are pretty high that some of them are going to be violent/aggressive to start out with. If they weren't violent about video games they would just find something else to be violent about.

5. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

To be hinest, the only way I can see a child becoming significantly affected by violence is if their parents are violent. Their parents tend to be their main idols, not some game. Most kids have enough sense to not become obsessed with games. Unfortunately there is a minority who get all pissy about games when they don't win etc. and start firing real guns.

So if a child starts showing aggression towards a game, any responsible parent SHOULD restrict their play sooner rather than later.

6. RabidZergling

RabidZergling Ancient

Yeah, I agree, but it's not the game that is causing that violence. That same child, if he/she were to find something else they liked to do, would be just as likely to be violent/aggressive about it. The reason video games get a bad rap is because most of the time aggression is linked with video games, since most kids play them quite often, and thus the chances of an unusually angry kid playing one is also much higher.
    (Just wanted to clarify that, not arguing it against you)

7. oscarstrok

oscarstrok Ancient

well when sonic heroes came out when i was 14 i always got game over, sure i curse a few times and throw the controller on the sofa, but i never got too pissy, not like the ANGRY GERMAN KID!!!!!!!!!!

8. Meltyourtv

Meltyourtv Ancient

Violent parents make violent kids. Video games just fuel the already raging fire.

9. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I really dont see the point in this one.. We all play Video games, and we're all going to defend them, because if it did turn out that VG caused 90% of violent crimes they'd be banned and this forum would have no meaning like many others.

But anyway, it's the same sort of thing when media blames music for the results of violence. I remember reading some kids went on a suicide spree in america, and Marilyn Manson was sued because the kids were listening to him the night before.

Although i haven't heard of any kids trying to get "overkills" these days i highly doubt Halo or any other commonly played game is going to create violent kids.

10. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Let me just enter this thread once more...

I think (btw this thread is pretty much all based on opinion) that anyone becomes violent towards pretty much anything that hooks them due to different reasons. BUT since video games usually include high levels of violence, then they're claimed to be the culprits.

Back in the 50s I'd bet you that if you so much as swore with an adult in the room, you'd get smacked right across the face. Now the times have changed, and sadly, there's more room for acceptance towards what some might see as "freedom", when really this freedom they might speak of can lead to terrible habits.

No, video games aren't the only ones but they sure as hell instigate it a lot more than other forms of captivation.