Debate Do violent video games make violent kids?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by texturedlemur, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Shedo

Shedo Ancient

No violent parents make violent kids. Anyways why would video games make violent kids? If there was an actual answer to that i would be amazed.

#41 Shedo, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  2. schmidget

schmidget Ancient

No I don't think it makes kids go crazy... but I can't stand it when you're matchmaking halo and theres a little kid that can't be anymore than 9 or 10. It just makes you think what kind of parents buy there young children rated M games? I know my mom didn't let me until just last year (I'm 15)

3. SlasheI2

SlasheI2 Ancient

the only thing that might change a kids personality is GTA IV, drugs, hookers, blowing up people, running over the same person over and over again. yeh, good times.

4. J A Y

J A Y Ancient

the only way a game couold effect a kid is if the kid wants to. When i was like 8 years old i watched a fighting movie that had Jacky Chan in it. After i watched it would go around kincking and punching. There is peer preasure on kids and video games, but i dont think it will ever get proven.

5. EGP

EGP Ancient

Wow, we actually had this topic in school for like a week. After studying it does increase you brainwaves or something like that making you more violent. But i believe if your violent wouldn't you take the "anger" out on the retarted grunts that stick you all the time

6. b3ware

b3ware Ancient

my opinion:

No. Violent video games do not create violent kids. However, if you have a seven year old kid playing some M-rated game I believe he would be encouraged into violence. But then that would still make it the parent's fault seeing as how they let that child play that game. Even if the kid is 14, 15, they can still be somewhat unstable. But if they were brought up correctly there would be no problem with them.

It is not the video games causing violence, it's how the person playing them receives the entertainment. Does he see it as right? Normal? Or was he brought up correctly by the parents so he knows whats right and wrong?

7. Icecikle

Icecikle Ancient

I did some research on this a while back for a assignment here's the just of it. I would also like to point out that its more or less up to the parents to tell thier children whats right and wrong.
    Also if you wish to comment toward this directly go to my blog its also there.

The Facts
    1.The Idea....

The statistics and studies on the subject are just about as common as well...the computer. I got thousands of studies when I googled this subject so I'll touch on a very detailed one and a recent one. This will hopefully add a little less controversial...but will most likely add more.

I did this because I honestly love violent video games. And because I have a 4 year old cousin who is addicted to GTA4.

Please note these are scientific and clinically proven studies, but everyone has there opinions.
    2. Video Game Violence and Public Policy
    by David Walsh, Ph.D
    published by National Institute on Media and the Family

This study and articles has some interesting things in it I'll use paraphrasing (my own words) and copying so that you get the point. The increasingly realistic and exciting nature of electronic games has helped to make them enormously popular with children and youth. 79% of American children now play computer or video games on a regular basis. Children between the ages of seven and 17 play for an average of eight hours a week. Most of the games on the market are appropriate for these young players, and the best of them can bring a lot of benefits. Besides being fun, some of the games provide practice in problem solving and logic as well as strategizing.

The growth of electronic games has not been without controversy, however. The subset of games that feature violence, gore, and antisocial behavior has raised concern among parents, educators, child advocates, medical professionals, and policy makers. The implication of games in high profile school shootings has led to congressional hearings, government investigations, and legislative proposals. The intense concern about video and computer games is based on the belief that the ultra violent games are inappropriate for all children and harmful to some.

Here's the list that this study provides:

1. Children are more likely to imitate the actions of a character with whom they identify. In violent video games the player is often required to take the point of view of the shooter or perpetrator.
    2. Video games by their very nature require active participation rather than passive observation.
    3. Repetition increases learning. Video games involve a great deal of repetition. If the games are violent, then the effect is a behavioral rehearsal for violent activity.
    4. Rewards increase learning, and video games are based on a reward system.

The study says that this is why the concerns for younger children is justifiable for parents. This is another list from this study.

1.Exposure to violent games increases physiological arousal.
    2.Exposure to violent games increases aggressive thoughts.
    3.Exposure to violent games increases aggressive emotions.
    4.Exposure to violent games increases aggressive actions.

The study also gave more elaborate definitions of each.

In a study of 8th and 9th graders, students who played more violent video games were also more likely to see the world as a hostile place, to get into frequent arguments with teachers, and to be involved in physical fights (Gentile et al., under review). It has often been suggested that violent video games are not the culprit for these types of behaviors; instead, the cause is underlying hostility. The argument goes, "Hostile kids get into more arguments and more fights. They also like to play more violent games." While this is true, it is not the whole story. This study measured children’s trait hostility, and found that exposure to video game violence is a significant predictor of physical fights, even when students’ sex, hostility level, and amount of video game playing are controlled statistically. If hostility were the whole story, then in general, only hostile children would tend to get into fights, and children with the lowest hostility scores would not get into physical fights regardless of their video game habits. Figure 1 shows the percentages of students who report being involved in physical fights within the previous year. Children with the lowest hostility scores are almost 10 times more likely to have been involved in physical fights if they play a lot of violent video games than if they do not play violent games (38% compared to 4%). In fact, the least hostile children who play a lot of violent video games are more likely to be involved in fights than are the most hostile children who do not play violent video games.

here's a figure from the study.

[​IMG]

Please note this study was conducted and issued in Chicago, Illinois
    3. The Violent Video Game Effect
    by ISU Professor of Psychology Craig Anderson, Assistant Professor of Psychology Douglas Gentile, and doctoral student Katherine Buckley
    A study detailed in the book surveyed 189 high school students. The authors found that respondents who had more exposure to violent video games held more pro-violent attitudes, had more hostile personalities, were less forgiving, believed violence to be more typical, and behaved more aggressively in their everyday lives. The survey measured students' violent TV, movie and video game exposure; attitudes toward violence; personality trait hostility; personality trait forgiveness; beliefs about the normality of violence; and the frequency of various verbally and physically aggressive behaviors.
    The researchers were surprised that the relation to violent video games was so strong.
    "We were surprised to find that exposure to violent video games was a better predictor of the students' own violent behavior than their gender or their beliefs about violence," said Anderson. "Although gender aggressive personality and beliefs about violence all predict aggressive and violent behavior, violent video game play still made an additional difference.
    "We were also somewhat surprised that there was no apparent difference in the video game violence effect between boys and girls or adolescents with already aggressive attitudes," he said.
    The study found that one variable -- trait forgiveness -- appeared to make that person less affected by exposure to violent video games in terms of subsequent violent behavior, but this protective effect did not occur for less extreme forms of physical aggression.

These are not my thoughts on the issue only the facts.

here are links to the studies:
    http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/c...ers/walsh.html
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~nscen.../mar/vvg.shtml

-Lindsey(Icecikle)

#47 Icecikle, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    Shad0w Viper likes this.
  8. ZgreenZ

ZgreenZ Ancient

You have bad parents if you are 13 and they let you play an M-rated game

Brb, I gotta go tell the ESRB that they fail

9. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

NO! If parents have a problem, they should take it into their own hands. The government has WAAAAAAY more problems to deal with.

10. Caboose 702

Caboose 702 Ancient

to sly:

Religion only creates violence when there are violent religions. Or when the religion which is non violent is bent to say what a violent person, or group of violent people intend for it to say.

I am christian, I do believe in the bible. The bible says love thy neighbor, so I try to love thy neighbor. Not once does the bible say "go out and kill the non believers." It says to show compassion, it says to forgive, it says to love. Anyone else who says otherwise is lying.

I'm not trying to start a debate inside this debate, but simply defending my religion. I agree many religious people have bent the bibles words and philosophies into violent meanings, but I do not see those as true christians. Therefore it is not Christianities fault, rather christians who are unwilling to actually read the book they have sworn their devotion to. Ignorance is what is to blame, not religion.

Stallon was not religious, yet he killed millions. He was able to influence the ignorant into giving him power. Who is to blame when evil men get power? ignorance. They do not know he is evil, and this lack of knowledge leads to the death of millions.

The same thing happens to germany with hitler, however Hitler believes in nazism. Evil man + people ignorant to his evil = bad. this equation is true 100 percent of the time.

Main Topic:

Video games may encourage violence yes. However it is the parents who are to teach children the difference between real and fake, right and wrong.

At a certain age everyone should have an understanding of what is real and what is not. Before this age children should not be shown things of violence, whether it be movies, video games, or music. They lack the understanding of fiction and non fiction. When we allow children to believe that fictitious things are real then they start to re-enact them. Which leads to bad things.

so yes violent games may cause violent children. However how is it that these children are getting a hold of these violent games? Parents allow their children to obtain them. So we shouldn't really be blaming the games should we? Who's fault is it? Not the game makers, and not the retail sellers, they have stayed true to their policies of not selling violent games to children. The parents are the ones who are buying these games for their children, then casting the blame on them to preserve their own image.

The parents are supposed to be around their kids enough to know whether or not their own child can tell the difference between real and fake.

So if there is ever to be a solution it is actually quite simple. Parents should spend more time with their own children. And should know when they have gotten to know the difference between reality and fiction.

Video game, music, and movies can all cause violent behavior in children. I'm not saying we should ban them though. Responsibility lies upon the heads of the parents to mandate what it is their children do.

lol, no ones gonna read all this.

Shad0w Viper likes this.
  11. Icecikle

Icecikle Ancient

I know no one read all of this so if you want a supporting article with anything lagitamate on this site(map descions or or researchable things) feel free to ask for one.

My thoughts

These are my thoughts not the people I quoted. If you wish to post in direct association to this post it is also in my blog. Here's the link to that ForgeHub Halo Forums - Icecikle

My thoughts about violent video games affects on children are that its all circumstantial. I do believe that religions can cause violence as suggested in this post by SlyJD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLY JD [​IMG]

Religion creates violence. You cannot disagree with that.

But as explained in this post most do not....

Quote:
    to sly:

Religion only creates violence when there are violent religions. Or when the religion which is non violent is bent to say what a violent person, or group of violent people intend for it to say.

I am christian, I do believe in the bible. The bible says love thy neighbor, so I try to love thy neighbor. Not once does the bible say "go out and kill the non believers." It says to show compassion, it says to forgive, it says to love. Anyone else who says otherwise is lying.

I'm not trying to start a debate inside this debate, but simply defending my religion. I agree many religious people have bent the bibles words and philosophies into violent meanings, but I do not see those as true christians. Therefore it is not Christianities fault, rather christians who are unwilling to actually read the book they have sworn their devotion to. Ignorance is what is to blame, not religion.

Stallon was not religious, yet he killed millions. He was able to influence the ignorant into giving him power. Who is to blame when evil men get power? ignorance. They do not know he is evil, and this lack of knowledge leads to the death of millions.

The same thing happens to germany with hitler, however Hitler believes in nazism. Evil man + people ignorant to his evil = bad. this equation is true 100 percent of the time.

This post is well just a person tell another that because hes 13 he should not play a M Rated game. I believe if your parents bought it for you they trust you to not do anything wrong.

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by java9script9 [​IMG]
    OMG!!! not this crap. I have played video games since i was four im 13 ALL of which were incredibly violent where am I now??? hanging my 4.0 badge on my wall next to a picture of my autistic self in a hoodie. I have been in 1 one fight and the kid was a real ass he kind of deserved it (being perfect in all your teachers eyes can get you out of a suspension EASILY) so no video games don't make violent kids video games mixed with BAD PARENTING!!!! makes violent kids infact just bad parenting in general makes violent kids.
    I currently own every hot game out there halo 3 GTA4 cod4 (whats up with all the fours???) GOW the list goes on so no bad parenting makes violent children not video games.

You have bad parents if you are 13 and they let you play an M-rated game

Brb, I gotta go tell the ESRB that they fail

Another thing is that the ESRB Doesn't do anything about people buying these games for people under 18 because well most people above about 25 or so don't play....

here's another quote that is general about this topic...

masterjelly

Quote:
    NO! If parents have a problem, they should take it into their own hands. The government has WAAAAAAY more problems to deal with.

If it weren't for the parents complaining to the government they wouldn't know anything about this problem and also if they didn't tell the government there wouldn't any school laws about grades or other sorts...

Here's another quote that I think is more of my opinion.

my opinion:

No. Violent video games do not create violent kids. However, if you have a seven year old kid playing some M-rated game I believe he would be encouraged into violence. But then that would still make it the parent's fault seeing as how they let that child play that game. Even if the kid is 14, 15, they can still be somewhat unstable. But if they were brought up correctly there would be no problem with them.

B3ware

Quote:
    It is not the video games causing violence, it's how the person playing them receives the entertainment. Does he see it as right? Normal? Or was he brought up correctly by the parents so he knows whats right and wrong?

I do think that the majority of the responsibility to keep children from being violent is on the parents, but its the governments job to keep the streets safe and I believe if this is a direct threat they should do something about it. Another thing is that if your parents are violent curse and other things of the such you probably will to this isn't a guarantee; however, that the child will be violent. The main thing is that if you communicate what good and bad are to your children it will solve most problems.

12. thelastsparten

thelastsparten Ancient

jack Thompson is awesome now before you flame me think about gamers hate him HE IS LIVING PROOF that violent games don't make you violent emphasis on living back there

ps also i think that it is a risk factor just like obesity is a risk factor for heart disease it doesn't necessarily mean you will be kill someone but some one who mentally unstable it increases the chance

13. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

NO! Bad parenting makes violent kids. The parents should try to cut out violence in their children's behavior at a young age before they can become bullies.

14. Bloumbas

Bloumbas Ancient

of course not, i've been playing games since i was like 5, all perrrty bad. now excuse me i gotta go hold my neighbor hostage at gunpoint then steal his car so i can drive to new york and pick up strippers then kill them to get my money back, like wtf thats ridiculous

15. MidgetDance

MidgetDance Ancient

No, I think they actually help to keep violent crimes down. People take out their aggression in the game instead of on other people.

16. Psycho

Psycho Ancient

I am 14 and I play a ton of M rated games:
    Halo
    Call of Duty
    Assassins Creed
    etc.
    I get 4.0 GPAs and I have had no problam with violence.

17. Boydeh ..

Boydeh .. Ancient

No its just some crazy kids who kill might play violent video games ..
    I hate it when the link between the two is made :/

18. chiefy11

chiefy11 Ancient

Reminds me of this one guy who made a website called like conservapedia or something said in response of hearing 10% of Americans don't believe in god and 10% of Americans can't reproduce, so he said, "so that means that all Athiests can't reproduce."

19. Wolverine

Wolverine Ancient

I dont think hes reffering to halo. Halo is a non-realistic game, a fantasy. Games like Call Of Duty 4:Modern Warfare Are life like games that can cause children corrupt minds. I am a minor and I think that games like halo 3 are meant in a fun meaningful way not to be violent on purpose. Call of Duty teaches kids about weapons and the new technology on the market. The ESRB rating system is a smart idea. Parents should take caution and think about how a game like halo or Call of Duty will affect their childs schoolwork and mentallity. Kids should not be playing games such as call of duty. Children and teens know that you cant buy an assault rifle ot a BR. But when playing call of duty or other Life realated games they know they have acsess to cerain weapons. The VT shooting may have been video game related but if a parent raises their child properly the child wont learn how to work or even buy a gun. So all of that wrapped up no, some games are bad for children.

20. oO SLiK Oo

oO SLiK Oo Ancient

I dont no about anyone else, but when i was little and got the first GTA i kept trying to shot my sister with a BB gun and tried to beat her with a bat, LOL but yea i think it does.