Do I have to have several gametypes compatible w/ my forged maps?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ReaprX5, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ReaprX5

ReaprX5 Ancient

Well currently im grounded until the end of january and included in my grounding is me being grounded from the 360. So in the mean time I've been cooking up some forged maps in my head with the intent of submitting them in my guilders application. There may be a problem thought because my two maps are made using territories for the one and king of the hill for the other. I've tried to think of other gametypes that may be compatible w/ my maps but i believe it would be difficult to create more than two gametypes for each map. The reason i used KOTH and territories in my maps is to keep the players in the playing field and I dont see how i could redesign my maps w/o compromising the maps integrity. I am also worried that if I don't have several gametypes for my maps I may not being accepted as a guilder due to the lack of flexibility of my maps. Feedback would be much appreciated especially from the guilders themselves.

2. SuperClarkman

SuperClarkman Ancient

I am not personally sure about when you submit your map to become a guilder but I have seen in some of the guilder's maps that they only have it support 1 gametype.

I can imagine that it probably would not matter especially if it was a very fun and unique. But I am interested in seeing what a guilder answers to this question.

3. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Having several gametypes is NOT required when submitting maps...

However having it DOES help for those that do want to take some time to try it. It is not an easy task to setup maps to work with various gametypes. Taking advantage of symmetry options allows for another good way to promote your application. All of these tricks display how much forging knowledge you actually have. Also effective spawn placement as well. Basically anything in Forging 101 we want you to do awesome with... as well as being creative...

4. ROC bioflame

ROC bioflame Ancient

I have been working with 3 maps that can be used with any gametype, on one of my maps i used symetry stuff.

5. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

It sounds good ROC, now make sure you apply proper spawn placement and such... that right there is my biggest pet peeve. If its not done correctly I normally just move on to the next application...

If anyone wants a quick lesson in spawn placement, post here and send me a friend request with a message saying why you sent me a FR (I'm tired of getting random FRs without telling me why you would do such a thing). You can ask Asper about the quality of my lessons...

6. ReaprX5

ReaprX5 Ancient

Hey AZN FTW, id like a brief tutorial of spawn placement my gamertag is ReaprX5 but the only problem is I wont be able to get on until the end of my grounding in january so if your up to teaching me in like a month and a half let me know.

7. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

That's cool... I won't be forging tonight... I will be playing AC4 to clear my mind for the new maps tomorrow...

8. Grif

Grif Na'vi Tits

II think that maps are good if they have several game types, because many game types are simillar. Like assault and capture the flag.

9. Lance001

Lance001 Ancient

Maps that have several gametypes are a plus, yes, but a good map is far more important than it's flexibility. Flexibility can be learned...good map-making, though -- that's much, much harder. As AZN has wisely stated, get the "simple" things down (spawn placement, creative maps, good execution of said ideas, intelligent weapon placement, perhaps even aesthetics) and worry about flexibility later. If a map is not built to support multiple gametypes from the ground up, it is more than likely that any gametype is was not intended for will feel shallow and poorly planned (because it was).

Basically, do the little things right, and your map will take care of the rest. It's amazing to me how many good maps are ruined by spawn-camping and lack of balance. Keep up the good work!

10. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

DOWN WITH SPAWN CAMPING!!!

As Lance full-heartedly enforced... the basics is the secret to success. You could know all the forge tricks, glitches, and objects... but if you don't apply them properly, your map will fail. And Lance is correct about planning your map. ALWAYS plan out your map first. Screw around, come up with ideas, and then spend about 10 mins zooming around the map thinking exactly how things are going to be placed... including spawns, focal points, weapons, objectives, etc.

'Til next time... fear KIM JONG IL and my korean dictatorship!!! Or so True states...