Different Level MM edition

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by sendernode, Feb 13, 2008.

?

How would you rate this map?

1. 1

6.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

6.3%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

87.5%
  1. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Re: Different Level

No problem, sir. Glad to help out.

I'm glad to hear you're making a MM version. We're going to do a review of this thing on Tuesday night, so if you could get that final out by then, it would be great. Having a variety of weapons will just make it that much better.

I liked your CPU and grav lift out of play too. Nice touch to have other callout symbols for the bottom level.

I'd be interested to see how the FH Conquest variant would play on this, having the Territories spiral down in opposing directions from the upper levels down the ramps to the floor. That might be cool.

2. LIGHTSOUT225

Awesome job! this map blows 98 out of 100 out of the water. i know its like beating a dead horse by now, but the lack of weapons....thats as far as ill go with that. but i took the liberty in replacing ane central BR up top with a Needler, placed a couple Brute shots next to the dumpsters in the bottom, back (symmetrical), sentinel beam and a firebomb for a bit more variety

but seriously, GREAT F-ING JOB. forge on!

3. A Nasty Fresh

A Nasty Fresh Ancient

This looks amazinglyawesomecoolfreakinsweet!!!!
    Need I say more?

4. sendernode

sendernode Ancient

Different Level - Matchmaking Edition!

v.95 is up - check the first post for details.

5. Sheen Machine

Sheen Machine Ancient

looks coolio

6. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Thanks for making the matchmaking version. I'm sure it'll be the one we play for the upcoming review of this bad boy.

7. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

Very interesting, excellent use of interlocking. I think I will try this one out. - Brute Captain

8. ValorousBob

ValorousBob Ancient

WOW. This looks amazingly well made.

9. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

The matchmaking version was awesome. It's everything I wanted. We did a 4 person FFA Slayer and a Team Doubles Multi-Flag CTF. Great map.

10. ToochieHxC

ToochieHxC Ancient

this is waaaay cool man, great job.

11. Orangeremi

Orangeremi Ancient

Very awesome.

Love the OS/Camo built into the walls to show 'red' side and 'blue' side.
    Schweet

12. LIGHTSOUT225

Sender, Matchmaking version is even better. just did a forge-through...and first of all, the red side/blue side indicators...bravo. love that you added alot more playing space with the whole new upper section...i take it you glitched the map after the original version? I even love the shape the boxes make for the base of the main center structure. almost like a star at a few points. flawless interlocking everywhere too. i loved the fence wall paths down to the ground from the ends and how it sneaks under the bridge, almost mini-narrows style. By far one of the best maps i've ever seen. well done

13. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Rick's Recap

Overall Enjoyment Durability Aesthetics Originality Balance

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    9/10 9/10 9/10 8/10 6/10 9/10

Map Review Haiku:

Not much bad to say.
    Punch Furious with the flag.
    Pretty damn good map.

Well, this map pretty much rocks my socks. There's nothing particularly amazing about this map, it just feels like another map. Note that I said map there, not map variant. It's clean enough and plays well enough that it feels like we've finally added another map to Bungie's lineup.

It works pretty well for both flag and slayer. The map is incredibly clean (Furious' guilder app-esque). The spawns feel like they work properly. There's just enough interesting terrain that you have to know where you're going. There's no weapon and no place on the map that can completely own everyone else. This is going to have to stay in my file share. Great map overall.

I just wish there was something for me to moan about.

Rick's suggestions:

-None. Unless you want to add a little more flair to the map (more stuff in the corners, etc)

14. the von

the von Ancient

how is this not featured?

15. LIGHTSOUT225

Im sure it will be eventually... there's quite a few great maps out there in line already. Id bet the house at least one of the versions will be featured in the future.

16. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

[​IMG]

Differant Level is maticulously crafted with no real weakness. It actually stands out in the sea of what has become the most attempted map, what I think I'll call the Foundry Competative. The Foundry Competative is limited from the start. Foundry is small, and this cannot be overcome. The oft-repeated formula is to further shrink it by closing off the hallways and offices. I don't think this is how Halo was meant to be played. When I think of Halo, I think of open battlefields, not hamsters on crack running through tight spaces playing paper-rock-scissors with the weapons they are carrying.

The only reason I bring up my vendetta against Foundry is because I have absolutely nothing else negative to say about Differant Level, and as a reviewer, it's my job to dwell on the negaive. With that out of the way... holy crap what a beautiful map. If Forge allowed players to skin levels, I could see this as a perfect Forerunner structure, and I would shut my mouth about it. We played 4v4 CTF, and I felt it was too small for the crowd, especially since the hallway area was sealed off (why does everyone always do that?). We also played a game of team slayer, which saw me scoring 2 kills for 14 deaths, so I really will shut my mouth now.

Enjoyability: 7/10
    Durability: 10/10
    Aesthetics: 9/10
    Origionality: 6/10
    Balance: 9/10

Pred's Overall Score: 8/10
    [​IMG]

17. GoodWhaleSushi

GoodWhaleSushi Ancient

18. Projectt2501

Projectt2501 Ancient

This map is very well thought out, very well designed, and plays like it should. 4.5/5 Great job!!!

19. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

SOOO CLOSE!!! You might have gotten the Steaktacular medal from me.. but you didn't listen! I wanted Sentinel Beams!! lol.

The reason I am rating this so highly is because it is as close to perfect as a forged map can come to in my opinion. No bad spawns, no bumps or cracks, and somehow, this map appears to beat Foundry's limitations. It's fairly open and a large map. It's not boxy at all. This is work of the highest quality.

You did an insane amount of interlocking. Even walls that stand on boxes are interlocked the tiniest bit so that there are no cracks. Very, very impressive.
    Never had a problem with spawns in either CTF or Slayer, and the new matchmaking version is great with weapons and equipment. Really makes the games on it more enjoyable. The only thing I would change is replacing the brute shot with a sentinel beam, and like Furious said, put the bubble shield on top instead of on bottom. Oh, and have you tried placing the flag spawns on top of the north and south platforms??(Don't know how to describe them) Those make more sense to me as bases, but it might be better where you have them, I don't know.

This is excellent work. It needs to be Bungie Favorited and front-page featured immediately! And if Bungie ever includes a custom playlist for matchmaking, this should be at the top of their list. I'm looking forward to and expecting more great maps from you.

Overall: 10/10
    [​IMG]
    Enjoyment: 10/10
    Durability: 10/10
    Aesthetics: 9/10
    Design: 10/10
    Balance: 9/10

I left out Originality because I really don't think that should be a factor towards the total score in this map. So what it's another symmetrical slayer map? It's one of the best there is. That shouldn't bring down the overall score.

20. JediWithASniper

JediWithASniper Ancient

The Furious Review

By: JediWithASniper

Here are my ratings and review.

Enjoyment 7 out of 10

Balance 8 out of 10

Durability 8 out of 10

Aesthetics 8 out of 10

Originality 7 out of 10

Well, what can I say? When you play a good map, it is just, well, good! This map had a lot of excellent features that gave it an edge over most of it's competition. I had a blast playing this, especially when I managed to get my hands on the rocket launcher. : ) But really, this map met all of my expectations, and then some. With almost perfectly placed weapons, perfect level balance, and a beautiful view, this map came in as quite original, and very enjoyable.

I did find one problem, and that was that on occasion I had a bad spawn, I wasn't facing any walls, or spawned in a box, but every so often I would spawn with an enemy player about ten feet from me, on one occasion, I was spawned with Furious right behind me, needless to say, I was dead before I could say "Rick's Recap". ; )

I highly reccomend this map, it is already saved in my foundry list, and it ain't going anywhere soon.

My Overall Rating Is: 8 out of 10