Deuterium

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by MidnightGenesis, Oct 19, 2010.

1. MidnightGenesis

MidnightGenesis Forerunner

UPDATED (10/19/10)

[​IMG]

Middle area built; it is an enclosed symmetrical maze (not very complicated, however); I plan to put a power weapon of some type in it. Need to figure out what to build on top of this area, and then the structure is finished. Any ideas?

UPDATED (10/20/10)

[​IMG]

Now with 50% more walkways! Built walkways up and down to the 2nd level bases, and added two more man cannons that land you near the entrance to the center labyrinth. Plan on building something on top of the labyrinth area to break up the line of sight/provide more playspace, but I'm still not entirely sure what. Maybe a pyramid. Plan on building small, symmetrical, covered areas behind each ground floor triple room piece, for spawning perhaps. Will also put some rocks and such on the playable water area to provide cover/aesthetic value.

UPDATED (10/24/10)

[​IMG]

Added a covered corridor below the labyrinth to get from base to base without having to run through the open. Built a structure on top of the labyrinth that I think will work fairly well for power weapon placement/breaking up LoS. Also encoded Team Colors into most of the symmetrical items, and completely eliminated z-fighting. Woot! ^.^ Tell me what you think of it!

#1 MidnightGenesis, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. shawnatacobell

shawnatacobell Forerunner

Maybe this idea will work for the blank space you need filled. A stepped pyramind with a weapon on top. Just throwing it out there.

3. MidnightGenesis

Maybe. But I don't know how playable a stepped pyramid would be. I'll have to toy with it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. pyro

pyro The Joker

I really like your little shrine in the middle so sticking with that theme might be good. A stepped pyramid, however, is probably not a good idea if it is meant as a major playable area, because forcing players to jump up can slow down gameplay.

5. MidnightGenesis

Haha, it's funny that you used the word shrine; one of my friends that I showed the map to called it a shrine, too.

EDIT: I suppose the fact that I'm not getting many comments means that I'm not doing anything blatantly wrong, so I guess that's good. But I'd definitely like more feedback.

#5 MidnightGenesis, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  6. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

The map looks amazing, nice to see you decided on what to fill the gap.
    It looks amazing, and shouldnt have a problem gameplay wise.
    Of course I will have to try it out first.

#6 Neoshadow, Oct 25, 2010
  7. MidnightGenesis

Thanks! Nice to see some interest in my map. It seems as though there have been a lot of ForgeHub guests checking it out, and not many members. Strange.

8. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Do you know why the cage fails so utterly at competitive play? Because gameplay focuses on the walkways and totally avoids the actuall floors. This ruins strafing, makes placing spawn unfairly difficult, and forces players to choose between two directions instead of several. This applies to every map, including yours. Just keep it in mind. Im not saying that your map is terrible and its going to be a repeat of a massive failure, i'm just suggesting that you keep an eye out for that and make sure to direct gameplay to wide open "dance floors." They always create better gameplay.

I do think that the top level may WILL up needing just a bit of work, and the bottom needs more cover. Idk if you were gonna add that, but it sucks to be rained upon from above, and its much easier to shoot down than up.

9. MidnightGenesis

Awesome, finally some constructive criticism! The walkways right now are just proof-of-concept modes of transportation from area to area. Was planning on expanding them somehow. I plan on adding some form of cover to the bottom floors, and possibly expanding the lower floors to incorporate some of the natural geometry of Forgeworld, such as the edge of the Rock, if budget (and item) constraints allow for it. I've got enough building blocks to expand the play area somewhat, but I'm running out of Forge pieces in Building Blocks, Walls, and Bridges, so I'm not entirely sure how I'll pull that off. Thanks for the advice!

#9 MidnightGenesis, Oct 25, 2010
  10. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

I think in the general size youve got aces in all three directions, and you shouldnt worry about wasting budget on that too much. About 90% of what you need is intelligent LoS blockers and a few platforms up top.

Beyond that this is pretty cool lookin ;)

11. MidnightGenesis

Thanks; +1 to invisible rep system for you! If only there were more people willing to be brutally honest. I greatly appreciate it. :)