Dera

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Bart Laan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

Hey everyone,

UPDATE:Dera 2.0
    Unfinished version 2 - still need some feedback:
    Sorry - don't have updated pics yet: I was lazy :p

This is my second map on Forgehub, and it's called Dera (don't know why, just sounded OK).

The Forrunners built this training site for combat training. It's best used with Team Slayer, CTF or Good ol' Slayer. Because the map is rather small, it's ideal for some 3 on 3 matches. It's pretty complicated, wich means there are many ways to surprise the enemy... or to be surprised. All right, you are waiting for the pics huh? Well, here they are:

General overview:
    [​IMG]

Central area between the 2 bases. You can see the little covered area in the middle.
    [​IMG]

Inside one of the bases. Leads to multiple other rooms. You can see the main entrance in the middle, the stairs on the right of them (lead to the upper floor), the gravity lifts (leads to the lower roof), and the lower stairs that lead to the cellar. Also notice the shotgun on the side.
    [​IMG]

Upper floor. See the stairs on the left? leads to the previous picture. Gravity lift leads to
    the upper roof, where the sniper spawns.
    [​IMG]

Lower roof.
    [​IMG]

Sneaky side tunnel, ramp leads to the central area.
    [​IMG]

Covered rocket spawn in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Cellar. The stairs lead to the middle part of the base.
    [​IMG]

Sniper fight! This shows the upper roof and the hole to the upper floor.
    [​IMG]

Well, that was it for the pictures. I hope to get your download, and PLEASE comment, and give me all the tips you can think of (if that fits in one page ;)
    Thanks for reading!

#1 Bart Laan, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. pixering

pixering Forerunner

Wow! Nice original idea you have here.
    Only problem is - centre seems a bit too open. You'd be stuffed if there were snipers.

3. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

Thats why you can quickly drop on the side walkways, or make a run for the rocket spawn.
    But anyway, thanks for the quick reply!

4. pixering

pixering Forerunner

Ah fair enough. I really should try the map myself before criticising :p
    Some good work here. Like your style :)

5. flaminghelmet

flaminghelmet Forerunner

This looks awesome from a distance... I like that you kept things simple and neat, and yet you still did some things to add aesthetic value (like the braces). I think this will play quite well. I would, however, consider adding cover in the middle. I'm a big fan of openness and long lines of sight because it prevents camping, but it may be a little too open, as pixering said.

I would suggest just placing one fairly large object on top of the covered area. That would be simple, and I think it would have a positive impact on gameplay.

That being said, I've only played one game on the map with one other person, so I don't have much of a feel for how it will actually play with a large group.

Anyway, nice work. Looks great. 8/10 as-is, but I would say 9/10 or 9.5/10 if you add some cover in the middle.

6. rbenhase

rbenhase Ancient

Very impressive map. I too like the simplicity, as well as the braces, which not only serve as good aesthetic pieces but are also quite functional.

I think some cover in the middle would be a good idea, too, but overall, great job.

It reminds me a bit of Narrows, Longest, and Elongation... but it's still very original and well done. Thanks for sharing.

7. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I'll try expirimenting with some cover.
    Edit: Wow, I see now that you are the one who made Ore! Love that map, great aesthetics!

#7 Bart Laan, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. PeteTacular 42

PeteTacular 42 Forerunner

I'm looking at the pics and I'm not so sure why he needs to add cover in middle. It's good to have open space somewhere on a map. I thought it was brilliant to use the 'brase tunnel' for the actual use of a tunnel because people seem to just use it for looks. That's what pointed out to me the most because that gives you 2 entries to get across with full cover. I think that makes up for the openness in middle (then again, it would be better to here from someone who's actually play-tested it to be sure).

9. sleekzero

sleekzero Forerunner

i finally got a chance to download this and play it. very nice layout. i like the minimal-cover design. i like the side tunnels, too. nice job!

maybe you could add a weapon's list to the post.

10. AtomBlaster4

AtomBlaster4 Forerunner

Love the idea here, the central covered area is brilliant. I may end up adding more cover to the central section when I DL it, but all the cred is still yours. Good work.

11. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

Hey everyone, I updated the OP with a new link. It's a version of Dera with more cover, and some more surprises :). I still need some feedback on the differences though.

12. sleekzero

sleekzero Forerunner

how about some updated pics...?
    i'd like to see how it looks now before downloading the new version.

13. Bart Laan

Bart Laan Forerunner

Sorry it's taking so long with the pics, i have problems on getting them to Bungie.net. My fileshare is full, and they don't appear in my recent screenshots section, so tomorrow i will try it again (i hope that the problem is what i think it is).