Sandbox Deadlock

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by PhoeniXaDc, Jan 11, 2010.

1. PhoeniXaDc

PhoeniXaDc Ancient

Deadlock
    By: PhoeniXaDc/bT/Centru

Special thanks to:
    *Flaming McNinja​
    *Fluffyrturkey​
    *Mersi21​
    *Worthy​
    *Mr To1​
    *Timzay​
    *CaptSnipe​
    *PunkRawkrr​
    *Astral Arrow​
    *Shadow Warlord​
    For helping me test it!

Deadlock is a pretty basic CTF map. Nothing fancy, just back to the basics, and from what I have heard from 11 out of the 12 people mentioned above, it has very good game play. It began as a dream, literally, and evolved into what it is now because of failed optimistic views and a little help from my friends. It features two bases on either side, which have a garage, “cave”, cover, and flag room. The rest of the map includes symmetrical cover cleverly placed by bT to include room to hide, and yet enough room for the Warthogs to maneuver and so that it isn’t impossible to kill a flag carrier from across the map. The centerpiece includes a grav lift at the bottom for easy access to the flag room if you obtain it, and the sniper rifle, which can be acquired by jumping and pressing whatever button allows you to pick up weapons.

The gametype I am including with this post is not so much a requirement as it is a suggestion. It has BR/AR starts, and makes it so that you must capture the flag 5 times in 15 minutes. If you have one you like better, feel free to use it.

Vehicles:
    Warthog x2
    Mongoose x2

Weapons:
    BR x4
    AR x2
    SMG x2
    Carbine x4
    Brute Shot x2
    Plasma Pistol x2
    Needler x2
    Mauler x2
    Sniper x1

Equipment:
    Bubble Shield x1
    Regenerator x1
    Deployable Cover x1
    Power Drain x1
    Grav Lift x1

Pictures:

Overview
    [​IMG]

Base
    [​IMG]

Cover (Courtesy of Centru)
    [​IMG]

Cave (Courtesy of Centru)
    [​IMG]

Sniper Spawn (At top)
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]

Flag
    [​IMG]

Let the Games Begin!
    [​IMG]

Links:
    Deadlock

[FONT=&quot]Frenzy (CTF)
    [/FONT]

2. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

yes but did you see how open it is, warthog = fail on your part, take those out and take out cover and add like a hill or some building/bridge in the middle to give is powpow

3. Combat P3nguin

Combat P3nguin Ancient

Looks nicely forged but, there really nothing getting my attention onthis map, sorry to say that but its pretty good.
    Your still pretty new i can tell but go to forging 101 to get some better tips. The bases are very simple but i like them.

4. Shenanigans.nom

Shenanigans.nom Ancient

The Warthog is an epic fail. the map is way too open for it. There also doesn't seem anything to take it out, other than the brutes shots. But it could just sit in a corner and never die. If you want to keep the warthog provide more cover. But i would recommend removing them and adding another level or some large structure in the center.

5. Plasma Rifle Elite

Being an aesthetic forger, I have to say that cave doesn't look like a cave, it just looks like a normal hallway. You should interlock more to make this look like an actual cave. Maybe more aethetics in general, as to me, this map looks very empty and dull. Sorry.

6. PhoeniXaDc

PhoeniXaDc Ancient

I didn't really do much "unique" stuff, but I felt that not every map needs to be "unique" to be fun. Obviously, it needs to be different, but too much could potentially ruin it.

Thank you for your input, and yes, I have tried to play it as a Slayer map and it is pretty fun! It is all set up with starting points.

I like this idea. I will give it thought.

I have looked into Forging 101, but have unfortunately not learned anything I didn't already know. :( Hopefully I can find a good tutorial to use.

The warthogs seem to be a strong debate: I think they are heavily underused for this map, especially for a CTF. I have played maybe... 20 times since I made it (Saturday) and have only seen the warthog used for attempted splattering purposes and base camping with the turret. All times it is used it has been destroyed quickly, due to the driver crashing in to some form of cover or the base itself. However, I will consider removing them and will talk about it with my co-forgers.

No need for apologies. I enjoy criticism, it helps me to improve on a map I already love. The "Cave" is not really supposed to be a cave, we just called it that... well, just because we did. I do love aesthetic maps, and will definitely attempt to make the map more "beautiful".

I loved listening to your guys' criticism and will definitely consider it in the future. Really all I got from my friends was that it would be a better slayer, it was too open, it was perfect, and one "This map sucks, and I hate all of you," but that person was just map he was losing. :)

7. FryTheSly

FryTheSly Ancient

you know what this reminds me of just looking at the pictures?
    it reminds me of back in the good old days of elementry school running across the feild trying to out juke the other team, get the flag, and book it back to our side. i love how simple it is. usually on most maps everyone will add soo much detail that it just takes away from what a good ol game of capture the flad out to be.

Grats on bringing back old memories for me man. looks great.

oh and on this warthog issue:

Soulution 1:
    at the starting base for each side just give the team a power drain. this would EASILY take out the warthog and it would no longer be a problem.

Soulution 2:
    simply take out the warthog and add in mongeese instead. they are small and fast and can go in and out really fast.

Soulution 3:
    just add a few more "anti vehicle" weapons closer to the starting bases (like brute shots, stickies, rockets, splazers, frags, spike nades, power drains and trip mines)

#7 FryTheSly, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. TheClubhouse

TheClubhouse Ancient

I think there could be some really good games on this map. Depending on the re-spawn points though. Its really open, thats fine, giving the hogs some real power, but if the spawns were left open, then it could go from good to crap really fast. I like the layout, sure some "uniqueness" would've helped, but you're right that good-playing maps don't need it. Look at MOST of the user-maps that Shishka put into matchmaking...... most don't have tons of merging, and most have little asthetic appeal at all. Anyways, I've never played this map, so I'll just shut up now. Oh ya, I like Darksoull's ideas about the hog. Keep it for sure, but give the teams a way to counter it better. Now, I'll shut-up. lol

#8 TheClubhouse, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Now, Obviously you and your "co-forgers" are pretty new to forge, and I'm pretty impressed by the map, actually. The one thing I hate to see is unclean forging, and thankfully your map is very clean.

Here's the thing though; obviously, this is a great first map, but it lacks the use of lines of sight and other more advanced design techniques. Walking out into the middle without the hog or goose seems like suicide, and the neutral sniper is far too powerful with such flat land. Here are my ideas: Neutral Rockets would be a nice replacement, and perhaps a sniper at each base (with low ammo). Along with that, choppers are warthog killers, so you might consider adding choppers. Or maybe missile pods at each base. And definantly add a power drain to each base, instead of a neutral one.