DEADLINE

Discussion in 'Map Discussion' started by LookMumNoScope, Jan 16, 2016.

1. LookMumNoScope

LookMumNoScope Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

LookMumNoScope submitted a new map:

Deadline - A remake of Terminal from Halo 2

Read more about this map...

2. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

****in' awesome.

3. The Grim Dealer

The Grim Dealer Forerunner

This is a great looking remake. I wish you could script the trains though.

h0twing3 likes this.
  4. LookMumNoScope

LookMumNoScope Legendary

I've been testing trains a bit more lately, and they even appear to work somewhat decently in this clip: http://xboxclips.com/LookMumNoScope/995919cd-7c05-4fd3-9979-9b236c94bf1c
    I wanted to have the trains be engulfed in flames, with passengers screaming inside as the train passed by, which is something an early design of Terminal had according to the wiki. (The 'screams' can be heard in the above clip if you listen carefully). The fire particles don't update fast enough to be seen when moving at high speeds though.

There are still a large numbers of problems I ran into:
    - This is a minor issue, but every 100 units the train stops for a tenth of a second, making it stutter its way across the track.
    - It's a nightmare to get the train to follow the curve in the track at this speed, and getting the timing for the rotations right.
    - This is really hard because as soon as the train starts moving it's impossible to select it again to make changes to the script. Even when I did manage highlight it for a moment as it buzzed by, the object properties will go blank when the train resets / leaves the boundaries of the map. So every time I had to adjust something, I had to exit forge, load the map again, apply all the scripts again with slightly different values, try it out, and repeat the process.
    - When loading the map in a custom game, the train behaved differently than it did in Forge. The headlights and flames did move along with the train, but stayed in their original position.
    - The biggest problem is that attaching a kill volume doesn't work. You can't script a kill volume to move, and when I attached it to the train after setting up the script on the train itself, the train stopped moving as well.
    Without a kill volume, the force of the train itself does very little damage. It will often just drag a spartan in front of it across the track, and send vehicles flying out of the map. If it moves at highers speeds it can even pass right through you.
    I suppose attaching a teleporter with an exit node somewhere out of the map is an option, but just blinking out of the map takes all the fun out of it in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many people better at scripting than me, and maybe someone will figure out a reliable way of doing it, but my main problem is still the object limit. I was only able to finish the map and get weapons and spawns in by leaving the tracks under construction, and I'll probably need to add some more spawns for slayer and strongholds too.

#4 LookMumNoScope, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Xandrith and WAR like this.
  5. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

I believe you can script these moving trains to kill opponents on the field. Try the method in this video below, hopefully it will help with this.

I think you did a fantastic job on this remake so far, there are some spaces that are outside of intuitive flow but hopefully I can provide feedback based on gameplay soon. We'll be testing out the map tonight.

LookMumNoScope likes this.
  6. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

If it doesn't have the one campable room you can only spawn in, this map is garbage. I loved spawning in there in SWAT or Snipers, lol.

7. jannlee48504

jannlee48504 Legendary

Foxy papa smurf created this map with a working train take a look at station 7

h0twing3 likes this.
  8. h0twing3

h0twing3 Forerunner

I have no idea how 343 featured this map with no working train. yet a bit different No hard feelings Creator of Deadline. However I do like this map alone only for the tracks being under construction. In my option Station 7 has it for my vote. 343 needs to leave it to the community

jannlee48504 likes this.
  9. jannlee48504

jannlee48504 Legendary

Station 7 is awesome

10. LookMumNoScope

LookMumNoScope Legendary

LookMumNoScope updated DEADLINE with a new update entry:

Deadline v2

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

Looks like the people of New Mombassa finally paid their taxes, great to see the trains up and running again. I would recommend placing all tier 3 weapons on weapon pads like the sniper rifle. Not sure if you've gotten around to that yet. Do you think a reinterpretation of Terminals could arrive sometime in the future that could support other game modes like 'Strongholds' or 'Slayer'?

12. LookMumNoScope

LookMumNoScope Legendary

I don't think I'm going to do any major overhauls to the map any time soon, besides maybe some small changes here and there, like the weapon pads.
    I think I'll put it in cryo until assault releases next month (and hopefully a One Bomb variant).
    I did make some sketches for a more symmetrical Terminal-inspired map during development, which would be better for more gametypes like Team Slayer, Strongholds, and normal CTF, so there's a possibility I'll get started on that.