Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by monkeyrantz, Sep 22, 2011.

1. monkeyrantz

monkeyrantz Ancient

Is anyone else getting this game? I desire it, so I will have it.

DARK SOULS : Bartholomew Trailer - YouTube

Apparently it's designed to be super difficult, but I'm up for a challenge. Along with the ridiculous enemies, such as the sword wielding giant wolf, and the ax wielding dragon (<holy ****<), it's got the role playing elements I love and an open world with a ton to explore.

So again, is anyone else getting this, or at least have any thoughts regarding whether to get it or not to get it?

2. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

I loved Demon Souls, or what little I played of it. The immense difficulty just made it that much more addictive. If it wasn't for said difficulty, the game wouldn't be as good, IMO.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. The gameplay looks pretty damn good, and if I enjoy it even half as much as I enjoyed the first game, then I'll love it. Problem being my lack of money and all the other games coming out so soon, I really don't know what I'm going to do. It'll probably start off as a rent, and everything after that is just a bonus.

3. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I came here to say that I like that song in the trailer. That is all.

The game itself looks like a standard western action slasher game. (western as in american)

#3 Aschur, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. monkeyrantz

monkeyrantz Ancient

The name of the song is Bartholomew by The Silent Comedy.

And I don't think you can classify this game as "Standard." Looking at videos of Demon Souls, and this preview, I would say this is far from your standard RPG.

5. Xun

Xun The Joker

I read something on IGN that said one of the reviewers took three hours to get past the first boss. Three hours. That should say something about the level of difficulty this game throws out right from the get-go.

I didn't play Demon Souls, as I didn't have a PS3 when it came out, but this one looks pretty interesting, and it's been a long time since I've played a game that has challenged me. And this looks more than challenging. Between this, Arkham City and Skyrim, I think the next year of my life has been pre-planned already. And that's not including all the other games that are due to come out in the next year or so, either.

6. Aschur

When I said standard, I meant that it probably won't be very special, most of the things in it that I saw seem like the stuff you see in games like Devil May Cry, God of War, or Dante's inferno.

Combat doesn't look innovative, style has been done many times over, It's essentially the same thing as any other action slasher.

I can't really say anything else without sounding like I hate this type of game, it's actually the opposite. I do like the genre, I just don't like how every game in the genre is essentially the same thing because they have no innovation. Some of them have their quirks like Devil May Cry, but I dunno bout this one.

7. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

It's completely different from any action slasher, the gameplay is miles apart. It isn't a basic action slasher, just look up the control scheme. Demon Souls was a fantastic game, and it was one of those insanely rare games where when I died, I just went right back into it instead of taking a long break.

This has lots of innovation. I strongly suggest you go look up a lot more on this game before calling it "Basic" or "Innovationless" again.

[sup]Innovationless may or may not be a word. >.> <.<[/sup]

8. Organite

Organite Journalist

I'm definitely interested in it.
    Not sure if I'm gonna get it right off the bat, but definitely something I'll look in to on down the line.

I love the art style and the overall sinister feel of what I've seen.
    But like Hachi said, to sell me it's going to have to have pretty innovative gameplay.

9. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

i wanted to play demon souls but never did.... now i want to play this.

i dont know if i can handle the difficulty though, im not that hardcore,
    and controllers are expensive these days

10. Organite

Organite Journalist

Lol.
    My controller actually won in a fling battle against my desk cupboard.

11. Landderp

Landderp Forerunner

o_O no comment.....

Lol anyway this game looks amazing and im very interested in playing it.

12. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

back in the day we used to always break our controllers when we were mad,
    it was almost like it was a sign of a good game if it was tough enough to make
    you flip out and smash your controller... nowadays controllers are like 700$... ****

13. Aschur

I still need to get a good wired controller for my computer so I can properly play Alice: madness returns.

On the topic at hand, I just don't see this game being very special barring this supposed 3 hour boss fight which doesn't sound fun at all to be honest. Though to each their own, I know there are people that don't like JRPG's as much as I do and I understand why, just as I understand why people can like this game, I just don't think I'll be getting it or trying it out at all.

I might watch youtube videos of that wolf with a sword though, that has struck some interest in my anime loving heart. Just seems kinda a rip off of a character in Tales of Vesperia... which is a dog that uses a knife in combat (I know, whole different scale, but same premise of a canine with a blade weapon in its mouth)