Foundry Da w00z

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Null Parameter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Null Parameter

Null Parameter Ancient

Author:
    Null Parameter

Map Name:
    Da w00z

Canvas:
    Foundry

Map Size:
    Medium-Small

Player count:
    2 - 16

What gametype(s) does your map support?:
    Infection, Juggernaut, Slayer, Team Slayer, VIP,

Now, before I get started, just let me say that this map is built for gameplay, not aesthetics and I know that it won't be interlocked or geomerged to the extent that most people enjoy. Just trust me when I say that you should play the map with some good, friendly people and you will have a great time.

And a nice tidbit, one of the favorite gametypes during play testing was FFA Shotty Snipers with 10+ people.

On to the good stuff!

This map was made in a very specific style; that style is w00zeh. It is hard to develop a perfect skill to develop in this style and you must think out of the box. For instance, have you ever said to your self, "I need to use all 100 spawn points and have as many useless teleporters as necessary"? I hadn't either until I started to study w00zeh.

There are the normal parts to a map:

• Camping Room, with Shotgun Supply
    • Teleporters Everywhere
    • Lots of power weapons
    • Enough spawn points that you'll never spawn in the same place twice

Give this map a try, I'll hope you like it.

An Overview and the Center of the Map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Notice the Plethora of Teleporters

Panoramic Tour
    (Labeled based on position in 1st Screenshot)

Left Side
    [​IMG]
    Good example of disregard for clean forging

Bottom Side
    [​IMG]
    Completely Unneeded Teleporters

Top Side
    [​IMG]
    Places where you can literally walk out of the map

Kenny's Sniper Spot
    [​IMG]
    Kenny's Favorite Spot

Some More Stats:

Along those same lines, here are some statistics about the map:

• It took < 1 Hour to create
    • There are definitely 100 spawn points
    • There are 20 working teleporters
    • I never started a new round, nor did I save until the map was complete

And despite all of that, it is still some of my friend's favorite map (and yes, they are friends who actually forge and know what a good map is).

Mods: I posted this in competitive because it supports some Competitive gametypes, like Slayer, better than the Casual gametypes. If deemed necessary, feel free to move it over to Casual.

#1 Null Parameter, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Dow

Dow Ancient

aha oh wow Null. You did this just to spite the locking of Zak's map didn't you? Well, I must say that I am proud and that I hope that people actualy play the map before they comment on it. A map doen't have to have good spawns, lines of sight, and overall good conventional gameplay to be fun, some people have forgotten why we play games to begin with.

#2 Dow, Jul 29, 2009
  3. Null Parameter

Null Parameter Ancient

I didn't post out of spite, that wouldn't be very becoming.

I posted this map for two reasons...

1. To provide good gameplay to the general public outside of the norm. I think it is good to diversify map types, even if that is something that you normally wouldn't tag as being enjoyable at first glance.
    2. To cross the borders. This is my first map post here at FH, and I think it is a good start to show people that the two sites can coexist and be civil with each other.

4. Spawn of Saltine

your a huge inspiration to many forgers. I remember the most fun I had with halo was when I played on the shittiest maps with the greatest camping spots. It was about enjoying yourself not enjoying the map.

5. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Tell me Dow, how does someone go about making a map that has terrible spawns, no good gameplay, no lines of sight, fun?

I'm curious...

Not be mean or nothin,

6. Dow

Dow Ancient

Because sometimes, you just want to lay back and **** around with some friends. Nothing competitive, just play the game, even if it's not the way it's supposed to be played.

7. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Yeah...but this is in the Competitive section. I suggest a move to Casual.

8. Null Parameter

Null Parameter Ancient

Because fun isn't necessarily defined by how a map plays in a standard sense. Just because gameplay isn't "good" in the usual sense, doesn't mean that it can't be fun. Having fun and playing Halo can be too completely different things; I know that I've played maps that had perfect gameplay, lines of sight, etc. and didn't have fun, I just played. They just aren't always synonymous.

Made a note in the OP about a possible move, if deemed necessary.

9. l33tmeerkatslol

l33tmeerkatslol Ancient

Null...I love you.. Great map! Never really played it much.
    I'd like to get a chance. I like Null Pairameetar.

Edit: When the hell are you going to post that epic warthog long kick ass map that we played on for like an hour!? That was so much fun!

#9 l33tmeerkatslol, Jul 29, 2009
  10. Kronos

Kronos Ancient

I think . . I've actually played this. Is it old, or a retarded thing to post here? I can't tell.

11. Meteor

Meteor Ancient

Perhaps that was the same mentality had when Bungie created Chiron...

Think of what we all learnt from that map haha.

Perhaps it would be more appreciated in the casual section, I don't know.

12. 2woFace

2woFace Ancient

This is what i don't get about your argument. The benifit of having a website like this is so we can combine are creative ideas and improve our forging as well as posting examples of what we consider the fruit of our efforts. What your promoting is not so much the forging but more of the style of gameplay, that of the casual setting. This type of map(slopply made, no good forge tecniques)doesn't support your argument.

Don't get me wrong. I bet you can have fun on the map.

As for the map. a 2/5. sorry just not my style

----A forger formerly known as Xylq

#12 2woFace, Jul 29, 2009
  13. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

Creativity is an arbitrary measurement. Whether you like or do not support the style of the map is in no regards to his argument anyway. You're simply fueling the fire that maps need to be neat to have fun on them, which isn't true.
    Nope, just a baseless assumption. Aren't they all.

What does posting a map you enjoy have anything to do with being a proper ambassador for Xforgery? He enjoyed the map so he posted it for other's to do the same.

On to the actual map: Somewhat reminiscent of Chiron, as someone had previously mentioned. Pretty hectic and the spawns actually do work out quite well, provided you're not playing big team. Just a good map to mess around on. If there was a rating you could give on how casual a map is, this one would excel in it. Although rather sloppy, it doesn't prevent me from enjoying it!

14. Shlbamobinladen

Shlbamobinladen Ancient

It seems to me just 'cause Null has, in the past, forged some you could say masterpices. Now he comes out with this that closely resembles others, new to forge maps that fill these forums everday,. Did you give those maps a chance? Or is this just 'cause Null made it you give it a special treatment or something.

Null I don't understand your reasoning of posting this. I sort of get it an all but really if I was to comment on it like others I would have to say better luck next time, take a glance a forging 101 and stuff like that so I guess I'll leave it there

15. Null Parameter

Null Parameter Ancient

Working towards excellence in an area for the sake of excellence is completely different than working to perfect something to better the experience. Personally, the reason I work on my forging skills isn't to make things look pretty, but to improve gameplay so that I may have fun while playing on a map.

In this case, I developed this map to match a certain style and set of requirements. For instance, I never once started a new round, so there was no possibility for interlocking. It was a challenge to myself to see what was possible, and obviously I knew that aesthetics weren't a big area when working like that, so I strove for gameplay.

What I got was great. Many people, that actually play the map, love it. It provides some great, hectic gameplay that keeps you on your toes at all times and still has a ring of "this is fun!"

I have 20+ other maps that I worked on my forging skills with, and I will continue to work on them, this map was different.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll get a party together this weekend and we can all have some fun with FFA Shotty Snipers!

Personally, I would never have claimed to have made any masterpieces. Masterpieces are known to all people for what they are, but if you asked 98% of people here to name something I made besides this map, they wouldn't be able to. And I don't think anywhere in Dow's comment did he even mention playing the map, or liking it, just that he hoped other people would play the map before rating it.

In the end though, you help to make a good point. We can always direct people to Forging 101 to help them improve their aesthetics and, in a lot of cases, gameplay as well, but how many of those maps have you actually given a chance and played? Maybe some of the creators of those hideous maps understand the elements of gameplay and incorporated them very well, but just don't have the expertise in forging to make the aesthetics shine through. Maybe we should all give these "new to forge maps that fill these forums" a chance beyond a first glance and a link to Forging 101, we might be able to learn something from an experience, no matter how ugly it may seem. Ghandi wasn't the most suave looking guy, but he sure gave a lot to this world.

16. Dow

Dow Ancient

Can you guys please post more comments on the actual gameplay of the map (assuming those who have posted here have played it), instead of 2 pages arguing over the legitimacy of posting it?