Cyclopean

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by NeverlessWonder, Mar 1, 2008.

1. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Cyclopean
    [​IMG]
    Created by: NeverlessWonder and Tender Bisquit

Made of Gold
    Asymmetric map for all gametypes
    Covered with winsauce

Cy-clo-pe-an
    –adjective
    1. of or characteristic of the Cyclops.
    2. (sometimes lowercase) gigantic; vast.
    3. (usually lowercase) Architecture, Building Trades. formed with or containing large, undressed stones fitted closely together without the use of mortar: a cyclopean wall.

Description:

The idea behind Cyclopean is to have an asymmetrical map with a mixture of tight closed in spaces, with open spaces. All of the walls are very tall, so it makes you feel small and very vulnerable. The map's geometry is great and makes for some really fun battles. There's all kinds of cool jumps and ways to get around the map. The map is open for travel, having multiple ways in and out of each room. Close attention was paid to ensure there would be plenty of 'encounter variability', so battles won't soon get boring.

I wanted the battles on this map to be interesting and fun, so I placed mostly plasma weapons, and some of my other favorite weapons.
    Weapons on the map: (from memory)

Plama Rifles x4
    Spikers x4
    Plasma Pistols x4
    Mauler x1
    Fuel Rod Cannon x1
    Needler x1
    Sentinel Beam x1
    Energy Sword x1

Forging 101:

[ YES ] __Floating Objects
    [ YES ] __Effective Spawn Placement
    [ YES ] __Interlocking Objects
    [ YES ] __Objects Merged with Map Geometry
    [ ___ ] __Unlimited Budget Glitch

Largest room of the map, and what the map was named for.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is possible to crouch jump from the bridge on the right over the fence wall, and you'll land on the top platform.
    [​IMG]

Sentinel Beam, and down that ramp is a teleporter that takes you to the Fuel Rod cannon. You can also choose to not go in the teleport and instead fall down to invis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A teleporter takes you from the Fuel Rod cannon hallway to this small perch which gives you an excellent overview of the map. Don't camp for long though, a lucky nade or teleport assassination will kill you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a quick, non-conventional way to get invis. Make sure you do this though, since a grenade jump is almost sure to kill you. There are propane tanks very nearby. This is also the room the mauler spawns in.
    [​IMG]

Here's another good use of deployable cover to get around the map quickly and evade your enemies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This room in which I kill TurboGerbil is also the room that will hold the defender's goal points, like the flag. :squirrel_wink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This map is meant for:
    • SMG weapon starts
      10m radar
      NO grenades at start
      Shortened respawn/capture times.
      2-8 players.
    Download Cyclopean

#1 NeverlessWonder, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

This looks very good...not just thrown together like some maps. The rounded wall looks great and you "really explored the studio space" by going up. I'll download.

3. nealsaviking

nealsaviking Ancient

Looks very good and organized. Looking forward to trying it out!

4. JASONYO

JASONYO Ancient

this looks very professional and you utilized many forgin 101 tips like merging with map geometry i always like that

5. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

yes, good indeed. The map has some nice geometry and well done interlocking. I am seeing a greater increase in map quality more recently. - Brute Captain

6. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Thanks guys! I spent a lot of work on this. Definately over 30 hours. All the interlocking, and merging took a lot of time.

7. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

That merged box in the first picture really had me stumped for a while. But it looks good. How often does the Sentinel beam spawn? It is a very powerful weapon, and if too frequent, it can and will break maps.

8. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

It spawns every 90 secs. same as the invisibility. It's also placed in an out of the way spot, so it may be forgotten every now and then unless you're waiting for it to spawn.

9. David 118

David 118 Ancient

curved wall is really good but how did you make all the pictures so bright was it a flare?

10. gorebound

gorebound Ancient

Yes! Finally :D. You know I'm gonna check this one out. Keep up the excellent work!

Peace // gorebound

11. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

For all the bright pictures, I just shot off a few rounds of the Fuel Rod cannon near where I would be taking the picture from. Then I just edged myself slightly into the explosion to make things brighter and a little colored looking. Another one of the little time consuming things I did while making this map. :p

@gorebound. Yeah man, thanks. I can't wait to furiously review this tuesday.

12. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Heavenly god, why did we play with starting Plasma Pistols the other night? That was one of my more embarrassing moments. Maybe now I'll get in some more kills when we play this on Tuesday. This is a really cool-looking map. I'm going to have to run around in it more so I have a chance next time.

13. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Hahaha, so sorry about that squid. I was still testing it out when you played with us. The original idea was for plasma rifle starts, but you can't do that for some stupid reason. So then I tried spikers but no. You can't have spikers either. So out of frustration I chose the plasma pistol, which gives games on it a feel I didn't want.

Edit: New weapon starts for this map are SMGs. Bruteshots failed. My bad guys.

14. Kad

Kad Ancient

Great map dude

15. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

The high walls definetly give a whole new different feel then all the other maps.
    *kudos man kudos*
    It's also different because of the covenant wepons instead of humans which most people actually prefer.
    I wonder how you made the map without the unlimited money glitch, because it looks like there is so much stuff jam-packed into the map.
    I like your interlocking skills and the floating. Overall it's a very well made map. =]

16. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Yeah, I remember the conversation about not being able to start with PR's or Spikers. It sucks. I totally forgot to ask that question of Bungie yesterday when they were fielding questions for this weeks rather lame update.

17. NeverlessWonder

NeverlessWonder Ancient

Yeah, I'm suprised myself that I accomplished everything I wanted to in this map without the unlimited budget glitch. This was my last big project on a non-glitched map, so now it's on to bigger and better things. I've got a few projects already started that will be coming out relatively soon.

18. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Wow, that looks really good, especially for a non glitched map. I'm queuing it right now, even though Neverless made it :squirrel_wink:.

19. Matty

Matty Ancient

amazing idea mate. Glad to see that there are still great ideas in foundry.

Whats up with the pics? no biggie, its just the quality is wieerd.

20. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Looks very unique, I'm definitely checking this out. I'll have to play a game on this with you sometime.