CTF Gametype Spawn - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by shadowfax1007, Apr 6, 2008.

1. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

Hi all,

First post here. I'm looking for a bit of help.
    A friend and I created a map on Foundry in Forge, took a lot of long hours and effort, but we are having trouble setting up CTF.

We managed to get the Flag Spawn/Capture points set up correctly, but we cannot get the Flag Home/Away respawns working correctly.

Is there a guide out there anywhere to correctly set up spawns in non-slayer game types?

I searched the site/forums but didnt really find much.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Snipers Stealth

Snipers Stealth Ancient

As far as i know there isn't a guide, but if you tell us your problem i'm sure some of us will know how to help you.
    If not, good luck!
    ~SS

3. duderdas

duderdas Ancient

Forge Hub is your guide try explaining your problem please and you will probably get results.

4. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

It seems like you already did this, but make sure you deleted the default flag spawn/return points

5. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

I can help you. What problems exactly are you having with the respawn areas?

6. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

I have removed all the default spawn points and added my own flag spawn and flag return areas. They both work correctly. What does not work however, it the Flag Home/Away respawns.

I have created a flag home respawn at each base, so when a player dies and their flag is home, they spawn there. That appears to work. What doesnt seem to work is when the player dies and respawns when the flag is away. I created a flag away spawn per team in the middle of the map, but the players spawn at the bases and not the middle. Thats my problem.

Any suggestions

7. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Ok, I'll start with the basics. Don't take offense if you already know/have done this, just wanting to be thorough.
    -Make sure you've got the teams designated for each "Flag Away" respawn area and set the priority level to 1 (unless you have more than one per team, then leave it at 0.

-Don't overlap the "Flag Away" areas. You say you have them in the middle of the map, and if two different team respawn areas overerlap, there's a tendency to cancel each other out and the game will look for the next available area, which is at your bases.

-When placing the respawn areas, make sure you have them covering a decent amount of spawn points. Often times the middle of a map is where all the action is, and if there is too much perceived danger the game will look for a safer place to put you, like your team's base. You might even try shifting the "Flag Away" respawn areas back from the middle and more off to each side. It may help things out.

If none of that works, put what you have on your fileshare and send me a PM and I'll take a look at it myself.

8. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

My areas aren't overlapping, but I will defiantly try setting a priority and moving them slightly away from the middle.

got heaps of assessment for uni this week though, so it will have to wait to the week. I'll post my results then.

appreciate the help.

9. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

No problem.

10. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

yeah, tried everything you suggested but it didnt work.
    unfortunately, i think the size of the map and the fact is closed in, will make spawning a very difficult and delicate thing to get right.

11. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

Well, if spawning is a problem, just make sure you use all 100 spawn points, if possible.

12. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

hmmm.....

If you want, post your map on your fileshare and I can take a look at it. It's really weird that a player won't respawn in the 'away' zone. And using all 100 spawn points is overkill, especially on a small map.

13. PlayPong

PlayPong Ancient

this may seem like a dumb question as well... but without the map here in front of me, who knows... but do you have spawn points that are either Neutral or set to the same team as the respawn areas INSIDE the respawn areas? because the respawn areas still only spawn people at spawn points -- just the specific ones it contains.

14. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

i have team specific spawns placed inside the flag away zones.
    might try it as neutral spawns, inside a teams flag away zone.

unfortunately I can't upload the map to my file share at the moment cause my Live has expired.

15. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

You designated specific teams for respawn points? That may be your problem. Keeping them all on 'neutral' and placing respawn areas around them is your best bet for correct respawns.

16. PlayPong

PlayPong Ancient

The only other thing I can think of then, is that regardless of your priority settings for the away zones, h3 still thinks it's too dangerous to spawn people in the 'away' area.

17. shadowfax1007

shadowfax1007 Ancient

yeah. thats what i've put it down to.

i'll keep messing around, but i dont have live at the moment, so I can't share the map with others.

i appreciate all the help though.

18. MNM1245

MNM1245 Ancient

Check out Forging 101