Sandbox Crossroads

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Satchmo890, May 19, 2009.

1. Satchmo890

Satchmo890 Ancient

Map Title: Crossroads
    Two bases, four roads and hordes of vehicles.

Download Map

Description:
    Crossroads is a Symmetrical map featuring two bases connected by four roads. Each base comes equipped with a wide assortment of vehicles that are set for quick respawn, and a Gauss 'hog set to a 150 second respawn. In between the two primary bases, there are four mini-bases that contain anti-vehicular weaponry and equipment. The map is designed with 4v4 and 5v5 in mind, but also works well in free for all.

Supported gametypes include: Slayer, CTF, Assault, Territories and King of the Hill

Map Overview
    [​IMG]

Base Layout
    [​IMG]

Outside Road
    [​IMG]

Inside Road Closeup
    [​IMG]

As this is my first map designed for competitive purposes, I'd love any feedback you can give.

Thanks for playing, and I hope you enjoy!

Satchmo890

#1 Satchmo890, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. EditorMax

EditorMax Ancient

Cool

Looks good, i'v been wating for a map like this.
    Looks good for slayer, vip, ctf.
    Nice job keep it up!
    4.5/5

3. Ipody

Ipody Ancient

I suggest putting up a bit more cover on some of the bridges, other than that it looks pretty good

4. DFS Faust

DFS Faust Ancient

Good Idea. You could use some More cover on the roads
    and maybe add a man cannon or like another path for people who get stuck walking.
    also if its set up for oddball GET RID OF THE HORNET.
    all somebody has to do is pick up his or her teamate and fly away from the map for the rest of the game.
    like i said Great Original Idea. just refine it some more with a v2
    4 out of 5.

5. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Woah! Crazzzy layout.... I likke. It looks like a big jumble but actually if you look closer you can tell that you planned it out. Good job for getting the posting rules the first time

6. Prodigious 7k

Prodigious 7k Ancient

This looks like a well thought out map and a kind of map that i myself would make. I love vedicle based gameplay and large weaponry, and this looks like it is very fun. For now i give this map a 9/10. I have it qued for download now. I look forward to more maps from you. :)

7. Hunter85792

Hunter85792 Ancient

Man this looks sweet! As said above get rid of the hornet. This map reminds me of a Halo CE map, cause of the "X" in the middle... Anyway I'd download and review but I have the red ring... I'll bookmark and get back to you later. Anyway keep up the great forging!
    Edit: Just found the name for it, it's Infinity.

#7 Hunter85792, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  8. II ELITE II

II ELITE II Ancient

Looks like a really nice design. All the floor looks nice and smooth from what I can see. For improvements I would suggest adding more cover and some barriers around the edge of the map so the vehicles don't get thrown off the map by random grenades. Also what type of anti-vehicle weapons are there on the map? 3.5/5 for me and I'll take a closer look and see if there is anything I've missed.

ELITE

9. Satchmo890

Satchmo890 Ancient

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

I guess I should have been more descriptive in my initial post.

Here's the rundown based on the feedback above.

1. Cover -- I absolutely agree that there should be more cover along the roads. My initial plans included a set of columns that ran in between the outer and inner roads, but after I started building the map, I ran out of items before I finished, so what you see in Crossroads now is a compromise that gets the map close to the feel I was going for. I added the two mini-bases in front of the primary bases to give cover to the walkers. In one of my play tests, I was able to walk the flag from one base to the other using the mini-bases as my route (this strategy is not advisable, but I was able to do it).

I may have to delete a gametype to free up some items. Territories is the least fun variant I've tested, so that's my vote. Any thoughts on this matter?

2. Weapons -- The two mini bases in front of the primary bases each have a set of rockets, and a portable grav lift. One of the side mini bases has a Carbine, Plasma Grenade, Frag Grenade, bubble shield and Spartan Laser. The other side has a drainer instead of BS, and instead of the Laser, there is a Missile Pod.

NOTE: The Missile Pod may be the coolest weapon in the sky bubble. Often, you will miss your opponent, but since the missiles do not explode when they cross the "floor", they will often come swinging around from less predictable angle for awesome results.

3. Hornet -- I'm on the fence about the Transport Hornet, but with so much overwhelming negativity concerning it, I will definitely consider removing it from the map. The map is not set for Oddball, but I suppose one could use the Hornet in a naughty fashion on neutral assault as well.

If you get a chance to play KotH on this map, the Hornet is absolutely fun to play for that variant. One of the hills is an hugely tall column in the center, which can be come an epic fight for air-space when the sky is full.

Thanks again for the positive comments, and I hope you're enjoying the map!

Satchmo

10. Hunter85792

Hunter85792 Ancient

Oh on the whole gametype deletion thing, I'd say delete: Territories, Juggernaut, and Infection (maybe VIP too) cause either no one likes those variants or they look like they won't work on this map.

11. Satchmo890

Satchmo890 Ancient

Okay, I've updated the map.

Here are the changes:

1. I've added columns in between the outer and inner roads to provide more cover from the anti-vehicular weapons.
    2. I've added two man-cannons that transport you from the center of the map to the main bases.
    3. The map no longer supports territories.
    4. Slight weapon placement adjustments, and spawn placement adjustments.

I'll get some new pictures and, now that render to video beta is running, I should have a movie or two to post as well.

Thanks for playing, and enjoy.

PS - please rate this map on Bungie.net (after putting the new version in my file share, my old stats on this file were wiped out)