Covenant Assault Carrier

Discussion in 'Reach Aesthetic Maps' started by timmypanic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Thanks for your feedback! I will look into improving the ship interior, I can't see how u could improve sides but I am open to suggestions. Thanks

2. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

you can achieve the same curves with a thinner edge by using either angled [flat blocks] or [bridge-dish] pieces. Admittedly, this is much harder to do, but in the end it will look fantastic.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

(*warning, the following message contains put-downs that should be interpreted constructively, if you are offended, please disregard it)

1.the leading point should be elongated while tapering to a blunt point, (like an arrow)
    this can be achieved by spacing the round inclines at ever increasing intervals
    2. the upper portion of it should also be tapered out rather than going straight up
    this is easy to fix
    3.the back end needs to be flattened out (from the bottom) allowing more room for the engines
    just compress it
    4. the over all the design of original the ship is allot flatter than how you portrayed it
    esp. the "neck" portion
    again, compression
    5. the wings should be a bit wider and the front barbs a bit thicker (in other words, the
    curve is not as drastic)
    fairly easy to fix
    <end>
    there you go

#22 SilentJacket, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Thank you for your thorough feedback.

quote:
    1.the leading point should be elongated while tapering to a blunt point, (like an arrow)
    this can be achieved by spacing the round inclines at ever increasing intervals

leading point? where? don't understand sorry.

2. the upper portion of it should also be tapered out rather than going straight up
    this is easy to fix

sorry this is a big ship , the whole upper section? the brace large dip? I don't like that part of ship, and it does need flattening out,

3.the back end needs to be flattened out (from the bottom) allowing more room for the engines
    just compress it

The back engines casing is the wrong shape, it shoud be out in middle and curved either side representing 3 engine casing I guess... In reality the small round inclines were too big to make that part, it looked better how it is, and I did try other way, but agreed it isn't correct. Scaling up would be a solution but the head set the size of the ship.

4. the over all the design of original the ship is allot flatter than how you portrayed it
    esp. the "neck" portion
    again, compression

It seemed curved to me and I forged it fairly curvey I don't think it needed to be straighter, perhaps more curved I will check some pictures for reference.

5. the wings should be a bit wider and the front barbs a bit thicker (in other words, the
    curve is not as drastic)
    fairly easy to fix

Unsure, in scale in measurements the size is correctly scaled, although I could be wrong, I checked my ship to different angles on a 3d model (although I only had pictures and not the model) and in different screenshots the different parts of the ship were visible as mine ( wings showing either side of head) and the same with the lower section.

There are many things that are wrong with this ship, a few I have stated in previous comments on thread.
    As far as I am aware the wing span is fairly accurate in size considering it is 1:8 scale model. I did try a full sized but it needed 200 + col walls just to make the head. The sides I forged out of walkway covers which are long hence usage and look reasonable as I didn't want the sides to look blocky made from blocks, maybe inclines or double walls would work better and help the frame rate problems from walkway covers lights.
    When I was desiginig this model I did want it to be usable in an invasion map and I wanted to keep object numbers down so I could create more, and also for the interior of the ship.
    I had problems with framerate so decided to just have this aesthetic, put the gun on the top ( that I wish I didn't add ) and released the map.
    I would like to put more time into this and have it looking closer, it is almost there, just need to find the time and patients to get back into forging.

#23 timmypanic, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

thanks for the calm response, the "leading point" i was referring to was the bridge, or the front of the ship, in the actual model, it is not nearly as round, also, when i said flatter, i meant that the vertical profile needed to be compressed (turning a circle into an oval in example)
    also, in terms of the upper section, i did not know what to call it, from what i can tell, the carrier is separated into 2 parts, the upper deck (connecting the bridge) and the lower hull (containing the engines), the upper deck, (where you placed the walkway covers) needs to be flattened out, (not straightened, but essentially "squished")
    hope that helps
    and as a final note, i really do not expect you to correct these errors, if you do intend this to be a invasion map, function is much more important than form

5. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Thanks, after your comment I decided to try and make a few improvements. Some things can't be changed easily like the tapering as it is curved and the head sets the shape of the curve although with work I could gradualy fade it in I guess.

[​IMG]

This now has a hollow bridge to open up space and it was annoying not having a bridge. I do prefer looks of older head but this is an improvement, also I added in more definition to the top of the ship to make edge lines clearer, I deleated as many walkway covers as possible and may remove more. 3300 budget including mancannons and other aesthetics so hopefully this has more protential now to be a little multiplayer map with a chance of invasion.

[​IMG]

There are more on my recent screenshots.I will try to get more done soon and smooth the ship out as best I can

6. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

glad i could help, keep up the fantastic work!

7. lllROCKlll

lllROCKlll Forerunner

Tim,

It your Carrier space is great looking. I think that it has many parts and that they look with good. I think you for the top Forger to make video game pictures or natural objective pictures that make maps are outstanding. You will ever make more and more maps.

Maybe, I someday make another Space a map, maybe we can make a War... Space Invader vs Carrier Assault.

ROCK

8. abandoned heretic

I was able to tell right away the ship you were copying, nice job.

9. IluvLEGO

IluvLEGO Promethean

When I looked at this there were several things I thought,
    1. This looks really good and the guy's done a great job.
    2. In the screenshots the ship is similar to the shape of an Aliens head
    3. Timmy should build a Ridley Scott Alien head using the Technique with the dishes
    Nice job Timmy liking your work.

10. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I did try to get this as close to the original as possible using screenshots and a 3d model.
    I am a fan of the alien trilogy and have just recently re watched them all. In the earlier version I can definitly see what you mean, I may just try to make one. Thanks