Convoy Tunnel

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by TrueDarkFusion, Jan 3, 2008.

?

How would you rate this map?

1. 1

8.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

16.7%
  5. 5

75.0%
  1. TrueDarkFusion

TrueDarkFusion Ancient

Convoy Tunnel
    Created by TrueDarkFusion, TheYavimayan, & rusty eagle

[​IMG]

Convoy Tunnel is a map that was inspired by the tunnel chase scene from the zombie movie, 28 Days Later. While Rat's Nest doesn't exactly mimic the exact tunnel from 28 Days Later it's a pretty close match. From the concept we moved into construction where we blocked off the map in order to create a linear tunnel for the soon to be human convoy to pass.

At the start humans spawn by a set of vehicles (1 Scorpion, 1 Gauss Hog, 2 Chain Hogs, 2 Mongooses) in what appears to be a small military base. Unfortunately evacuation orders have been sounded for the human military troops, but before reaching safety they must make their way through a tunnel infested with what has come to be known as the infected. It is up to the humans to beat the odds and make it through the tunnel alive. The humans must work together and cover each other to keep the infected at bay. The tunnel is a very dangerous place for any human to be as many hiding places are available for the infected to hide behind, road blocks are present to hinder any human intrusion into the infected colony, and there are many points from which the humans can be flanked. It is best for the humans to move slowly through the tunnel and is essential to survival to assign different angle for each vehicle to cover in order to avoid being flanked. As the convoy approaches each barricade be sure to check the surrounding area for infected before progressing. In the event that the human convoy or some of the remaining trooper do reach the end of the tunnel (this rarely happens but is possible if team work is used) the humans must hold off the impending swarm of infected until the time limit of 10 minutes is up.

As for the infected at the beginning of each round the infected spawn in the nearby tunnel. It is up to the infected to set a series of ambushes to dismantle the convoy and infect its human members that are traveling along side it. The infected move swiftly and it is up to them to use their wit in order to successfully remove the human infestation from their tunnels. In addition to their swift speed the infected have been granted the use of maintenance tunnels that run along side the main tunnel. The maintenance tunnels are a fast and efficient way for the infected to get ahead of the convoy in order to set the next trap for the human maggots. As the infected remember while you may be swift you still cannot out run a vehicle so you make use of your surroundings to surprise the enemy.

Along the path of the convoy there is a series of roadblocks that are meant to provide ambush points for the infected to hide behind so they can spring on the humans once they approach. Successful ambushes can be setup as the humans have indicators over their heads in order for the infected to properly lay traps. If the humans near the end of the tunnel they will encounter a container with shield doors on either side, which serves two purposes. The first purpose is to make the humans leave their vehicles and remove the roadblock by hand by shooting the fusion cores behind it, and the second purpose is to stop the tank from progressing further. If the tank was able to reach the end of the tunnel there would be a whole new series of balance issues.

Originally there was a small problem where the humans would attempt to camp at the beginning of the tunnel or in the spawn which would void the original purpose of the game so we implemented a few changes. Now after 1 minute into the game a series of shield doors spawn in the starting area in order to prevent vehicles from returning to the start. Also intermittently a series of fusion cores spawn and decimate everything in the original human spawn in order to stop campers in their tracks so to say. At this point a teleporter located in the human spawn opens which can be entered from a teleporter under the first staircase. This acts as a solution to any camping that can be done at the beginning of the tunnel. This teleporter exposes the rear flank of the convoy and forces the convoy to keep moving as well as covering all angles and encouraging team work. Note that rounds do tend to move fast and zombies usually do win unless the humans use team work at which point they can reach the end of the tunnel and hold out. At the end of the tunnel there is a custom power up that gives the infected a small damage resistance boost and immunity to head shots in order to even the odds against a warthog turret that is positioned in the bottle neck.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-i_NmBhXkE[/MEDIA]
    See, Shock Theta isn't the only one who can write a long map description. ;)

#1 TrueDarkFusion, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Stevemcguy

Stevemcguy Ancient

Why aren't the screenshots embeded? ???

Oh well, this looks cool! I'll download anyways! ;D

3. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I think it looks cool too, and 28 Days Later was awesome!

What happens if the humans get to the end with a warthog, will they pretty much win for sure? I can tell you did some testing, which side did you prefer to start on, the humans or the infected?

4. TiTaNfOlIfE

TiTaNfOlIfE Ancient

very unique concept... sounds kool...

5. SniperTofu

SniperTofu Ancient
    Banned

Only if bungie let the infected be flood........

6. AqueousBeaver

AqueousBeaver Ancient

I like this idea... role reversal with the zombies setting the traps.

7. TheYavimayan

TheYavimayan Ancient

Did I fix it?

8. Sagan

Sagan Ancient

We played this one the other night....it's really nice...except once the humans figure out how to convoy to the end...it's pretty much impossible to turn the tide...and the 8 rounds was a bit long....made for almost an 80 minute game....

9. DareDefyMe88

DareDefyMe88 Ancient

Dang this looks like a sweet game. Definitely have to download.

10. d3v0nst8r

d3v0nst8r Ancient

Was an elite with the ascetic head, flight shoulders, and commando body in any of those screenshot? I wear an ascetic head, flight shoulders, and commando body.

Oh yeah, by the way, I use Armor Primary Gold
    Armor Secondary Gold
    Armor Detail Gold

On the one screenshot "Moving Along", I noticed a player who's armor was gold on the scorpion machine gun.

11. Klink258

Klink258 Ancient

This looks like a really fun game... I think there really ought to be some more maps with in-depth stories...
    My favorite part was the car chase. (/manditory)

12. Ty

Ty Guest

Al the pics are giving me a 404 not found error message.

13. Wakko45

Wakko45 Ancient

Usually if they get one warthog, they usually end up with two. And no, they won't neccasarily win. I've been to the end a handful of times. My team only won once. I've only seen two or three victories out of about ten convoys reaching the end.

It may seem like there is only the option to rush them, but actually, those wire coils are movable providing some cover that can get you pretty close ;).

Personally, I like both the zombies and humans equally. As humans, I like to work as a team to get to the end, it is very scary because you are constantly looking behind you and all around.

As a Zombie, dieing over and over is worth it when you kill somebody and hear a nice satisfying "GOD DA..". Also coming at the convoy from behind and hearing "AHHH" or "Oh Sh**!" is hilarious.

14. TrueDarkFusion

TrueDarkFusion Ancient

I'm glad to see someone enjoyed my novel. :)

15. doorknockers

doorknockers Ancient

Wow this is an awesome map. It has motivated me to make a sequel. (with your approval) It would be on the lines that the humans must go back inside the tunnels to plant the "antivirus" (a flag) in the hive of the "infected" to stop the spread of the virus going into the whole world.
    If you approve of this idea just post it or message me. Thanks.

16. TrueDarkFusion

TrueDarkFusion Ancient

I prefer that you leave all sequels to me for now.

Also everyone else any posts in the Bungie topic would prove to be helpful. ;)

17. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I marvelled at your lengthy post. I enjoy a good long map description. :D

Lots of fun playing it a few days ago, I recommend a huge party to anyone for the full adrenaline filled creepy atmosphere!

PS. Posted on B.net too. ;)

18. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

I'm to lazy to sign into bungie right now, but I'll give you a post tommorrow. I can't remember, I think I posted here, if I did, why did you delete my post? Anyways, it's pretty cool map, at least from the screenshots and the parts of your ridiculously long description that I did read. It also sounds as if this map has a lot rounds, if it does, please decrease them, that is one thing that I have found very annoying about your other more recent maps. They seem really cool at first, then just seem to go on forever unless you end them manually. I can see myself having a good time being a zombie or human here, the first time I am, then I'll want to play something else before I play it again. I think this sounded a little "harsher" in my previous post, if I did post it, but I'm just trying to help you make your maps better by recommending that you don't make them last more than 15 minutes so they don't get old. If someone play'd your map for the first time, got bored then had to end it, they'd probably delete it. You should certaintly think about it.

19. Epic Tusk

Epic Tusk Ancient

I hope this will be the first zombie map I like. stupid hard drive burned up and Microsoft wont send me a new one :mad: and your novel was the best I have read ever ;)

20. magnet20

magnet20 Ancient

Lol! I remember that, it happened during this game. Needless to say, I won that round :)